LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 4th, 2024, 6:21 pm

Post subject: First gig with my 'new' band
PostPosted: April 16th, 2012, 4:41 am 

Had my very first gig with my 'new' female fronted metal band last friday.
I say 'new' because the band has existed for 11 years under a different name, Annatar. But in those 11 years, the line-up has changed a lot. I've only been a member of Annatar for about 1,5 years. Right now we only have one founding member of Annatar in our midst. Our musical direction has changed a lot too over the years, from dark gothic metal with bombastic orchestral sounds to a more fresh and modern sound with even some pop influences and lots of synth sounds. So 1,5 years ago we changed the name to Eve's Fall, dropped all but three songs of our old repertoire, and started writing new material. We don't currently have a keyboardist but a friend has recorded Hammond and synths for us and we made a backing track. We all use in-ear monitoring and aside from a monitor mix of the band we all receive a click track on our in-ears. For this gig we didn't need to bring our own backline. None of us are using any cabinets here, I just sent my Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp straight into the PA. So the sound guy loved us :P

Someone in the audience sent us these videos he made with a small video camera. The quality is not perfect but OK, it gives an impression :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czFWnqzM92w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-AiodAJyU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8PIf2o97Es

Post subject: Re: First gig with my 'new' band
PostPosted: April 16th, 2012, 8:37 am 

looks good to me..... :)

PostPosted: April 16th, 2012, 1:36 pm 

Sounds good Jeroen! Your lead singer has good voice, and knows how to use it... and just happens to be a beautiful rocker chick as well! the band has great energy... would love to hear you all live!

PostPosted: April 16th, 2012, 11:42 pm 

Thanks!
We have been working towards this moment for nearly 1,5 years and looked forward to gigging a lot. Trying the new songs out live was a blast. So yeah, the energy was definitely there :-)

PostPosted: April 17th, 2012, 2:45 am 

Don't recognize the bass... which one were you using?

PostPosted: April 17th, 2012, 3:56 am 

It's an Ellio Martina Forza. Ellio Martina is an Italian luthier living here in the Netherlands. This model was co-developed by a Dutch bass store owner. He requested something that could cover a very broad spectrum from Jazz Bass to Fodera, with fairly traditional looks, a familiar feel, good ergonomics, and affordable.

I bought this bass used about 6 years ago and it has been my go-to axe for most live situations ever since. It looks very plain but it is actually a very well thought-out instrument with some interesting features, and the neck is incredible. The body is swamp ash with a 5-ply maple / purpleheart neck and maple fingerboard with regular white pearl dot inlays. The pickups are very large singlecoils made by Ellio Martina himself, in very classy ebony covers (that's just about the only luxurious touch on the entire instrument). It was originally passive with controls consisting of volume, pickup pan and passive tone and a very interesting switching option: even though the pickups are true singlecoils, they have a kind of coil tap. The switch adds another 2000 windings to the approximately 7000 windings of the pickups, for slightly more output, a slight low mid boost and just a little compression. The difference is very subtle and refined, but definitely noticable! The switch has three positions. In the bottom setting both pickups run at 7000 windings. In the center position, only the bridge pickup is boosted. In the top position, both pickups are boosted.

The previous owner added an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp running at 18V, which has enhanced the tremendous versatility of this bass even more. This thing will really cover any style you throw at it. It can go from a very clear and defined high end tone to a gnarly bite to a Jaco-like tone to a heavy thump and just about anything inbetween. I will never sell this bass :)

PostPosted: April 17th, 2012, 8:28 am 

Good going Jeroen. nice to see that someone here is getting the chance to play out with original tunes.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 5:54 pm 

Great energy, Jeroen. Particularly liked Flawless. The videographer needs to get more of you.