LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 9:05 am

Post subject: Comparing instruments
PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 9:42 am 

If anyone is interested, I quickly recorded a demo at home using three different classic basses with exactly the same recording level/compression and made some slight adjustments in the Eq. It allows to compare the sound of my Jazz bass with the 2 pickups open, the P-bass with flatwound strings and the Stingray. You can hear the bass just with the drum toward the begining and the bass by itself playing the riff at the end. You have to excuse my poor harp playing skills. I used my Goldtone dobro in picture in the Gallery section where you can also see the basses being played. Hopefully you'll find this interesting.

http://www.bandmix.com/philippegrapinet/

Post subject: Re: Comparing instruments
PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 11:40 am 

Cool! :) Nice rootsy tones there, makes me feel like I'm watching an episode of True Blood. ;)

I assume you're looking for an opinion. I listened through headphones. I think for the song the P bass works the best. Warm with just the right amount of thump and bottom to make it's presence known. The J sounds a bit too subdued, IMO, and seems to get a little lost. The Stingray probably cuts the best of the 3 with the best note clarity, but I just think the P is right for the track.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 12:19 pm 

Can you clue us in as to what signal chains were to record the tune?
Done in the bedroom or your pro studio?

PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 2:29 pm 

Quote:
I think for the song the P bass works the best. Warm with just the right amount of thump and bottom to make it's presence known. The J sounds a bit too subdued, IMO, and seems to get a little lost. The Stingray probably cuts the best of the 3 with the best note clarity, but I just think the P is right for the track.

I couldn't say it better. The thing with the Stingray, I always think it sounds awesome but it never seem to fit in any music I play. I just have this thing for rootsy music indeed and it is too powerfull and bright. I agree the P-bass is the best for the track. I knew it would before even comparing but it was fun putting them side by side. The Stingray track is pretty sloppy as I did it late last night.

Quote:
Can you clue us in as to what signal chains were to record the tune?
Done in the bedroom or your pro studio?

I think you can tell it is recorded at home. It has not been mastered either. If I owned a fancy preamp such as an Avalon VT737 I probably could make sound closer to a pro studio recording but I am not planning on commercializing my stuff anyway.
The signal chain is Boss GE7 Eq pedal into a DBX 160 xt (with a 4/1 ratio and less than 8db of compression) into computer interface.
The dobro was recorded with an AT4033 mic.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 11:12 am 

interesting, I preferred the Jazz over the P. I liked the tone better, but agree with PJ that it could be a little more forward in the mix. For me, the S-Ray does not work sonically for that style of tune, IMHO it has way too much 'zing' for the track. how's that for a scientific comparison? LOL

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 12:17 pm 

For this purpose I should have mixed the bass forward but this genre of music does not necessarly call for a loud bass.
The strings on the Jazz are a little old. I actually re-recorded the jazz bass last night with a slapping part on the riff but does it not work.
P-bass it will be.
I'll work on it and will post the finished product later. Thank you for this input guys!

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 3:47 pm 

True Blood! Exactly! :lol:

The Jazz sits best in the mix, but I think I have to give it to the P-bass. It's more low-fi and low-fi is what this track is all about. My recommendation is to tweak the mix to give it a bit more growl. The Stingray does indeed have way to much "zing" for a roots track like this. Actually, I've found it's really hard to get Stingrays to sound organic in a lot of bands. They sound great by themselves, but they aren't the best team players. ;)

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 6:32 pm 

Good point on the growl - I could have used the Tech 21 VT Bass but I just sold it. I was just not sold on it. To me, the emulations never really sound like the real tube thing, gets close but the highs were too harsh to be realistic whether it is a plug in or a pedal . The VT Bass was good for rock not for old school R&B.

I will someday try to get a used Groovetube "the brick" which is perfect for a bass (I recorded with it at the Annex Studios once) or a UA solo 610. For the grit, nothing sounded better than my SVP Pro preamp but the damn thing died on me.

In my opinion the Stingray works great for heavy rock (Tom Hamilton) or funk (Flea).

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 1:37 pm 

BTW Great performance Frenchy!

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 3:58 pm 

Merci! Hopefully it does not sound too much like a French who got lost beyond the western frontier ;)

I re-recorded the jazz bass last night with a brand new set of DR Hi-beams and detuning the bass one step in order to better accomodate the key of G.
I think it sounds pretty "ballsy" now, I'll keep it that way. I just use those tracks as demo to put on my site when somebody is looking for a bassist.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 7:57 pm 

If you guys want to check the final result now after re-do/fix/tweak/mix - It is the first track - I am kinda proud of it now (maybe just too self-indulgent? :lol: )

PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 9:00 am 

The Jazz does stand out a lot more now. I ilke it!