LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 4:32 pm

Post subject: 2 Demo Songs on MySpace
PostPosted: January 28th, 2011, 1:05 pm 

We had to put together a couple of our songs with new singer (First time in a band for him he was our sound and light guy) so this is basically a band rehearsal mixed down a little on pre tools nothing worked over or meant for a CD or anything just rough mix of a demo..I like our song Burden especially the last 2 minutes of it...

Recorded with my Warwick Streamer Stage 2 with upgraded Bartolini pickups and preamp into Aguilar Tonehammer right into DiGi...a c-hair of chorus put on in pro tools

http://www.myspace.com/theybandpa

Post subject: Re: 2 Demo Songs on MySpace
PostPosted: January 28th, 2011, 1:42 pm 

Bad ass dude... sounding killer... especially for a rehearsal space demo thingy.

You guys could pretty easily use that to land some decent gigs, without a whole lot more being done to it.

Post more when you get 'em done!

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: January 29th, 2011, 4:01 pm 

Great stuff!

I'm impressed at how good it came out considering you call you said it's basically a live recording of a practice.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2011, 4:25 pm 

Thank you..Our singer re tracked the vocals but music is live.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 2:19 am 

Great songs - in the first song the singer sounds good up until the last minute or so, and then, as Randy Jackson would say, he gets a bit pitchy, and his voice sounds like it's getting tired, as you can hear the strain of singing at that volume begin to affect his tone.

He does a much better job on the second song. Sounds like he has great potential, and his voice will get stronger the more he sings. I know this genre of music isn't easy to sing - I surely can't do it! He sounds like a natural for this type of music, and in another month or two he'll be belting out your songs like a pro! 8-)

PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 9:43 pm 

great sounding recordings.

I'd be interested in knowing how you recorded it. Was it all direct to protools? Were the drums mike'd? Bass DI'd?

also, do you play with a pick?

PostPosted: January 31st, 2011, 10:20 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
great sounding recordings.

I'd be interested in knowing how you recorded it. Was it all direct to protools? Were the drums mike'd? Bass DI'd?

also, do you play with a pick?

We bought a DiGi design rack mount interface that works with pro tools into PC. It's an 8 channel set up actually bought it from my good bud Gravesbass. I have an old 16 channel Mackie VLZ and some stuff goes through those preamps first.

Pearl top O the line kit our drummer has. Crazy the snare weighs like 30 LB it's like 17 ply maple. So there is a shure bass drum mic I don't even know which one some kind of mid level. One overhead condenser $50 mic hanging over a pipe over the drums. Definitely nothing high tech.

The thing is good quality instruments and amps, decent mics direct and little as possible tinkering other than levels. Matt Plays some Paul reed Smith semi hollow guitar with Piezo for the acoustic bridge in #1 and Line 6 amp for normal pups and an SWR white acoustic amp for the Piezo. The SWR goes direct and the Line 6 cab is miced with a Shure Beta 57 standard.

Jimmy’s rig is sick. Anniversary Paul Reed split into a Diesel head and a Mesa Road King 2. Both go into Avatar cabs and minced with a nice Heil Mic and a Shure on the Mesa.
I recorded both tunes going direct into my Aguilar Tonehammer right into the back of the DiGi no nothing in front. I recorded “Burden” with my Warwick Streamer Stage 2 (All Bartolini pickups and NTNB Preamp) BDADG yes with a pick. We added a c-hair of compression I think the Joe Meek plug in and some on board chorus but just a tiny bit. The song “#1” same Warwick Streamer with a pick but there is a little bridge and I did drop in my old but new MusicMan 4 string fretless just in the bridge played with the digits.

We recorded another song that night I play all fingers and hopefully we get the vocal done and put up too. I switch between pick and fingers all the time.
Vocals are re done and recorded on some tube pre amped $900 mic through a TC Electronic outboard processor. We did a run through when we got to practice and then did pretty much first take on them. There are some timing issues and rough spots but they are just demos but I like the raw sound.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2011, 10:38 pm 

I love my studio we have had it for like 5 years. $250 a month, second floor, freight elevator to enclosed driveway, filthy bathrooms but there is heat. It’s my second favorite place in the whole world so I thought I would share a couple picks. It stinks like stale smoke and beer (You ever notice everyone says smoke free studio?) Not mine!!!!! I work all week to spend a few hours here once or twice a week. :roll:

Attachments:
P1000958.JPG
P1000958.JPG [ 114.42 KiB | Viewed 7247 times ]
P1000953.JPG
P1000953.JPG [ 174.88 KiB | Viewed 7245 times ]
P1000942.JPG
P1000942.JPG [ 83.6 KiB | Viewed 7244 times ]
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 8:09 am 

Love the Diezel/Mesa rig! Some serious tones going on in there.

Got a pic of your bass rig?

PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 8:57 pm 

I know this is a bass thang but let me tell you brother Jimmy's guitar rig can do anything and sound so sweet it will bring a tear to your eye. We are lucky as far as amps go you know? Jim's Deizel was 4K used and the Mesa alost 2K used. Them geeter amps are expensive!!

Currently I'm running my Mesa 4/12 Powerhouse with a black face Eden World Tour 1000 and I have a newer Powerhouse Mesa 4/10/15 with my last Mesa Titan. Only a couple pedals..EBS Muti chorus, Boss flanger, Tuner, Electro Harmonic metal muff, Aguilar Tonehammer and also a MXR DI M-80..

Don't have super current photos

Attachments:
P1000984.JPG
P1000984.JPG [ 158.43 KiB | Viewed 7209 times ]
P1000991.JPG
P1000991.JPG [ 111.48 KiB | Viewed 7206 times ]
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 9:27 am 

thumbslam wrote:
I love my studio we have had it for like 5 years. $250 a month, second floor, freight elevator to enclosed driveway, filthy bathrooms but there is heat.

Wow - that's a really big space and it seems very clean and civilized to me. Nothing like that for $250 a month here in Brooklyn!