LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:41 am

Post subject: Twenty-five years ago...
PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm 

This was me 25 years ago playing the high school talent show.
I'm playing a righty Kramer with an aluminum neck - so heavy!
The song is a punk ditty by a band called Mission of Burma - That's When I Reach for My Revolver.
I learned bass chords from that song.

The singer, Spider, is Rob Zombie's brother and he still sings in the band Powerman5000.
They're on tour right now (October 2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m847qY47jvs

Post subject: Re: Twenty-five years ago...
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 8:39 am 

Great cover of a great song! Cool threads and props to you for taking on MOB in high school. The video and sound quality are also surprisingly good for old VHS. Who are the screaming girls?

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 2:02 pm 

Way cool.
Too bad there aren't more and better closeups of the hair, Spandex and screaming girls. After all isn't that what the 80's were about? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 5:15 pm 

We were very popular...

I actually have tons of video from that era. We were AV dweebs and did a ton of recording,
so we're lucky to have the memories. Kids these days will have too much!

p

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 9:50 pm 

Awesome time capsule, thanks for sharing. Sound/picture quality is quite good too. I have dozens of clips of myself over the years, and none look/sound half as good as this. And the lead singer of Powerman 5000 too? I remember their hit, "When Worlds Collide" a few years ago. If you had told me that the singer in this video was one and the same I never would have believed it.

This clip gave me an idea (As well as reynoldbot's old photos). I'm wondering how many of us have evidence of our humble beginnings on video and/or audio, and a willingness (confidence?) to share? I'm a sucker for nostalgia, so I personally find this stuff fascinating, especially when gauging where you were vs. where you are now. (I'd like to think I'm a better player than I was 25 years ago, but sometimes I wonder. :lol: ). I do have my very first live performance on video at the ripe old age of 16, and I'm debating whether or not to share it because it makes me cringe every time I watch it and I get residual butterflies all over again.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2010, 1:29 am 

"Back in the day" videos are great! Gotta pay homage to where it all started. Share with a hungry neighbor! =)

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2010, 1:45 am 

I'm only 26, so my 'back in the day' isn't really that long ago... (8 years or so). I started as a g**t*r*st in a really bad coverband with some schoolfriends (no recordings whatsoever, and I'm thankful! :lol:) and ocassionally filled in for the bass player when he was absent (which eventually would be every rehearsal). I then joined a metalcore band as a bass player, had fun for half a year, but got really bored with the genre and quit to join a progressive rock band with heavy blues and soul influences. I had a blast for two years, and I think there's plenty of audio footage left from our rehearsal room. They eventually quit, but we're still friends. I also played in a coverband at the time with some older guys (around their 40s/50s) and had fun every week. Did three gigs in two years, it was mostly for fun. In the end I quit because we weren't going anywhere and I wanted gigs!

I've now been part of The Bullfight for 3,5 years and of Annatar for 1,5 years and I'm having a blast. When I'm your age I'll post some 'back in the day'-videos too! :)

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2010, 3:24 am 

Jeroen - I'm under 30 too, and have been playing seriously since July. Sounds like you do have some history with diff bands & genres, = experience - and that's more than I can say so far!
My bf is 31 and has been playing since he was 16. He has a ton of videos from back when he was a teenager & throughout the years in different bands. I love seeing the progression & similarities from then to now! That's the kind of "look back" that can sometimes inspire you.
Nostalgic Nelly over here~ :geek:

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2010, 1:06 pm 

My younger days resembled Pete Townshend's Who's Next session in N.Y.C.

i.e. most of it was burned or destroyed years ago. At the risk of dating myself, my early days occured pre-VHS, so there's really nothing left in existance. Pity.