LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:41 am

Post subject: NAMM 2010 - Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey
PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 2:05 pm 

Here's the second video snippet I shot. I wasn't all that familiar with Steve Bailey's playing before this, and he blew me away. He sometimes sounds like a Hawaiian pedal steel. The "percussionist" is Dave "Fingers" Haynes, who's probably the best drum machine player I've ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxweqjKb5Uc

Post subject: Re: NAMM 2010 - Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2010, 9:23 am 

Thanks for posting that. Looks to me like he's really thinking ahead as to what he wants to play. He's looking way too concerned as opposed to VW, who's just blissfully holding down the groove.
Not that that is a bad thing. Steve is a monster player. Check out his books and vids sometime.

P.S. when are you going to give Chloe a guitar? she looks pretty talented for her age!

Post subject: Re: NAMM 2010 - Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey
PostPosted: January 24th, 2010, 12:39 pm 

Well, he is playing mostly chordal work, so that does require some thought I think. He doesn't always nail the intonation, but he sounded much better live. I guess when you're in the moment you don't notice the flubs until you watch a clip like this later. I wouldn't dare to try to play chords on a fretless, LOL. At best, I do double stops.

Chloe's a ham, just like her dad. Loves to sing and play harmonica. She has a photographic memory too, as she remembers lyrics after hearing them only once. (Me, I still use cheat sheets in my cover band after singing songs dozens of times). I had "Do They Know It's Christmas" on the car stereo over the holidays and she proceeded to announce EVERY singer's cameos by name when their turn came up: "That's Boy George, that's Bono, that's Paul Young" etc. Incredible. I mentioned their names to her ONCE!

She's not all that interested in guitar or bass right now, which is fine by me as her and her brother are more likely to climb on top of my prized possessions than try to play them at this point. :lol: