LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:21 am

Post subject: The Great Scotts with "Firemen in the Flood"
PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 2:33 am 

Many years ago I was in a fantastic power trio called The Great Scotts. We made weird quirky music and did some really creative live shows. Anyways, we recorded an album but the master tapes were lost before we ever got a chance to make copies. Last year I took it upon myself to create new recordings of the songs by myself with only my memory and a few crummy live recordings to aid me. Here is one of the most recent tracks I've finished, called Firemen in the Flood. Let me know what you guys think!

http://reynoldbot.tumblr.com/post/278733602/an-enigmatic-title-for-a-truly-strange-song-its

Post subject: Re: The Great Scotts with "Firemen in the Flood"
PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 7:56 am 

I dig it! :) Nice job. Reminds me of early XTC, or perhaps Oingo Boingo with a dash of Primus thrown in for good measure. Nice bass work too and some interesting arrangements. What instrument(s) did you use?

PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 5:09 pm 

great job. the first section reminds me of early Who - like Cobwebs and Strange. And the 3rd or 4th section where you use the slide reminds me of real early Pink Floyd. I'm not trying to pigeon-hole the music, just giving you my impressions. I dig the recording.

Oh, and is that the guitar that is giving you the intonation issues?

Can you give us some details on the recording process, like which bass you used ( the Roscoe? ) and how you recorded it?

PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 7:01 pm 

Thanks for the compliments guys! Here are some specs regarding the track:

-The track was recorded thru Garageband, a wonderful recording program that came free with my computer and which I have been using for years.

-The bass is my MIM Fender Jazz. You can ever-so-slightly hear the trem being used in some parts. I record direct with one of my pedals on bypass to provide power.

-The guitar is my MIM Fender Tele. Yes AzWhoFan, it is the guitar that has been giving me intonation issues.

-The drums are midi. I recorded the drums in layers: first the bass pedal and snare, then the hi-hat and ride, then the crash cymbals. Then I blended them into a single track.

-I usually start out with the bass track on top of a basic looped drum track. Then I add guitar and begin refining the track, tweaking parts and rhythms and whatever else needs work. My pedal selection is pretty weak, so all compresion, EQ, and effects are added in Garageband. Then I add the final drums and re-record the guitar and bass parts to match the drums, and finally I add whatever flavor the track needs to feel complete.

I'm still looking for a good slap sound in garageband. This track is a marked improvement over past efforts but it's still not there yet. It's hard when you don't have a good compression pedal around to soften the attack. I've got a few other completed tracks that I'll put up over the next few days.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 2:22 pm 

Cool. I use Garageband too, though mostly I've been using it to edit/clean up older demos/recordings. I did use it for a radio spot, splicing together loops and samples. Turned out fine. I just got Logic for Christmas, so I'll be playing with that soon. I normally record drums first too, but the beauty of Logic is the ability to record parts with drum tracks, lock them together, and then go back and actually drop in different drums/feels, time stretch, etc. Drums can actually be the last thing you record if you wanted.