LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 10:52 pm

Post subject: 1972 Fender Precision Bass BLACK !!!
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 6:30 pm 

https://reverb.com/item/455961-fender-precision-bass-1972-black-lefty-left-handed-lh

This is mine guys ! Feel free to ask questions and of course to make an offer 8-)

Post subject: Re: 1972 Fender Precision Bass BLACK !!!
PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 7:14 am 

Mine looked JUST LIKE THIS BASS! I bought it at Sam Ash, on West 48th. St., in Manhattan. It was 1973. I t was lefty, 10% upcharge. It was black- custom color- a 10% upcharge. Maple neck, a 10% upcharge. LEFTY case- another 10% upcharge. I still remember the serial number! 373711.
Take a guess how much it cost?
It was $321.00 out the door, in '73. I was as happy as a pig in mud, with my first real left handed FENDER bass!

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 7:58 am 

LHBASSIST wrote:
Mine looked JUST LIKE THIS BASS! I bought it at Sam Ash, on West 48th. St., in Manhattan. It was 1973. I t was lefty, 10% upcharge. It was black- custom color- a 10% upcharge. Maple neck, a 10% upcharge. LEFTY case- another 10% upcharge. I still remember the serial number! 373711.
Take a guess how much it cost?
It was $321.00 out the door, in '73. I was as happy as a pig in mud, with my first real left handed FENDER bass!

At first I thought it was your bass. It would have been amazing ! Cool story ! It confirms my assumption that lefties have always been treated unfairly...

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 10:10 am 

Typically I don't gas for a black lefty, since it's usually one of only two colors we lefties are offered, but I'd make an exception here. Ironic, isn't it, that black was a custom ordered color back then. It's my understanding that, at least on certain models, Fender would simply paint the black over a pre-existing finish. I've seen it on my '75 Tele bass, where the original Olympic white is visible, though I don;t think I've seen it over any alder bodied sunburst finishes.

What's the story on this one, Jaguar65? Is there any visible under finish? Can you also discuss further the marks on the back of the bass? It's hard to tell what's going on there, but looks like fingerprint smudges or something that spilled on it. Are they finish wear down to the wood? They don't look like typical belt buckle wear, for example. And is the bass all original or have any pots, hardware, etc. been replaced?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 12:46 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Typically I don't gas for a black lefty, since it's usually one of only two colors we lefties are offered, but I'd make an exception here. Ironic, isn't it, that black was a custom ordered color back then. It's my understanding that, at least on certain models, Fender would simply paint the black over a pre-existing finish. I've seen it on my '75 Tele bass, where the original Olympic white is visible, though I don;t think I've seen it over any alder bodied sunburst finishes.

What's the story on this one, Jaguar65? Is there any visible under finish? Can you also discuss further the marks on the back of the bass? It's hard to tell what's going on there, but looks like fingerprint smudges or something that spilled on it. Are they finish wear down to the wood? They don't look like typical belt buckle wear, for example. And is the bass all original or have any pots, hardware, etc. been replaced?

Here are the pictures:

I bought this bass after a craiglist safari a bit more than 2 years ago. As you can see on the pictures, everything seems to be original except one screw (from the bridge cover) that looks newer than the others. Pots dates indicate 72. If you have any other question, let me know !

PostPosted: January 31st, 2015, 7:03 pm 

Sold!