LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 2:51 pm

Post subject: 1994 Zon Sonus 4 string bass / for a Rickenbacker bass
PostPosted: November 18th, 2014, 8:32 pm 

Hi you lefty's out there anyone interested in a 94' Zon Sonus 4 string bass 9v active, swap ash body, Bartolini p/u beautiful condition. Looking for someone to buy this bass or would consider trade for the right bass, Pedulla Buzz bass, Rickenbacker 4003, the Zon is a rare bass, plays and sound great email me at lefty bassist or fretless59@hotmail.com or call me at 360 399-8406. Email for pics.

Post subject: Re: 1994 Zon Sonus 4 string bass / for a Rickenbacker bass
PostPosted: November 19th, 2014, 7:15 am 

Is the Zon fretted?

If so,
I have a 1979 4001 MapleGlo with black pickguard and binding that I might be willing to swap. It is in pretty good shape, it is entirely functional, plays even better and has lower action than my 4003 and 4001v63. I has no cracks or chips, but it does have some some quirks to it:

• A previous owner did some re-wiring, and did a pretty sloppy job of it at that with prolific gobs of solder, but all of the electronics do work as they should.
• A previous owner added the old .0047uf capacitor in series with the bridge pickup.
• I think the pickguard is aftermarket because it doesn't perfectly line up with the holes.
• I think the neck pickup is not the original.
• The pickguard is cracked at both pickup adjustment screws of the neck pickup. I think this is because a previous owner tried to raise the neck pickup too high.
• The tuning knobs don't turn very smooth, but they work and the instrument stays in tune.
• The jack plate doesn't fit very flush against the body, so the corners stick out and can slice things if you're not careful - I put a little scrape in my parents' leather couch :oops: I put some scotch tape over the corners to prevent this.

All of those are pretty minor really, and don't add up to much on the whole. Like I said, it plays great and it's all Rick. It comes with a heavy-duty gig bag (not some cheap tube sock with a zipper).

I am at work right now, but if you are interested I will send you some pictures this evening when I get home.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 1:34 am 

Thanks for the interest in the Zon bass, made a great deal with a fellow lefty bassist member- for a nice 79 4001 Ric very nice to play a Rickenbacker bass again !!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 9:53 pm 

This thread is incredibly lame without photos of either bass! :)

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 4:02 am 

crabby wrote:
This thread is incredibly lame without photos of either bass! :)

Yes, pics would be nice - even post-sale! :D

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 10:52 am 

Ask, and ye shall receive!

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/super ... t=3&page=1

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2014, 9:00 pm 

I'm about 90% sure I played that bass at the '94 or '95 NAMM show. Probably '95.

It was a natural 4... I remember the grain... only two knobs... and the year would be perfect, since I was going to shows right around then.

Crazy.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 7:19 pm 

That would be a fun coincidence. I enjoy how some of our same basses circulate around and even those seemingly gone just happen to pop up every so often.

I have to tell you, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing was on display at a NAMM show. I love the way it plays and sounds. I really hope 6stringcknwing likes the Rick as much as he says because he definitely deserves something special in exchange.