LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 7:14 am

Post subject: Left Handed Epiphone Thunderbird
PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 5:55 pm 

Hi Guys ,thinning out some of the collection , , , will post pictures in a few days ,but , ,seems like everyone wants one of these , you can get a Tokai , or that other brand ( forgot name ) - or even have one custom built for you , , but , as legend goes ,Epiphone only built one dozen of these back in the late 1990's , commissioned by SouthPaw guitars of Texas , ,and NEVER built or even contimplated building any more, reasons unknown ???? so , without furthur epic story, as many of you may already know , , ,, i am offering my brand new never played epiphone thunderbird bass and original case for sale , , ,, in all these years i have only seen two of these hit ebay ,and the last one went for $1700 , , so please keep all this in mind when making me a reasonable offer , , , , you can also email me at pipps777@aol.com , thank you

Post subject: Re: LEFT HANDED EPIPHONE THUNDERBIRD
PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 6:58 pm 

i live in houston and have been to southpaw many of times. good guys but a bit over priced, as can be expected of one of the only all lefty retailers in the nation. somewhat off subject but i havent written in any topics lately and felt the need. looking forward to some pics!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 8:23 pm 

southpaw , ,yea ,tell joey PIPPS said hello !! i have bought many a lefty bass from them over the years , , they would be the first to admit it, yes they may be a tad overpriced, but if you want it, and they have it, and NO ONE else has it, then , ,well ,you know , , , , i think i paid just a bit over $1000 for this bass back then , , , is it worth it ? is any epiphone worth it ? i speculate if one wants a left handed thunderbird ,then one must either build one custom ,or Tokai , is not bad , of course with Tokai , you are going to pay equal amount for the bass and same amount to ship it here , , ,i think a left handed epiphone thunderbird bass should end up in the hands of an epiphone collector mainly , ,like i said ,if you GAS for a lefty t-bird, there are other and better options , ,however ,if it must be the rarest scarcest handful made by epiphone, if you really have a "jones" for epiphone and rare epiphone products, then this bass is for you !!!!! pipps

PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 8:30 pm 

yea joe is a great guy. hes actually the only one in there i have really talked to. he played in a local band here in town. i think he was playing a schecter if im not mistaken. its pretty cool to see another lefty out and about, let alone having an entire music store dedicated to lefties at my fingertips. i tell ya, if i had the funds and it wasnt the holiday season, id love to add the t-bird to the collection.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 8:42 pm 

i'm not going to ebay , right now ,i have issues with their entire operation , besides i heard as of the new year they may be changing their whole selling approach ,and scrapping auctions, to more of a seller's thing , post a pic/description ,and price ,and that's it , , anyway, hold my email address , it may be available when you are ready , , i am in no hurry , ,i have sold off my collection of over 50 left handed basses in the last two years ( no, i am not dieing !!! ) , and have a handful of "those" ones , the last ones to go ,still under the bed !! !!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 8:46 pm 

what else ya hiding?? :D

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 9:45 am 

PIPPS wrote:
Hi Guys ,thinning out some of the collection , , , will post pictures in a few days ,but , ,seems like everyone wants one of these , you can get a Tokai , or that other brand ( forgot name ) - or even have one custom built for you , , but , as legend goes ,Epiphone only built one dozen of these back in the late 1990's , commissioned by SouthPaw guitars of Texas , ,and NEVER built or even contimplated building any more, reasons unknown ???? so , without furthur epic story, as many of you may already know , , ,, i am offering my brand new never played epiphone thunderbird bass and original case for sale , , ,, in all these years i have only seen two of these hit ebay ,and the last one went for $1700 , , so please keep all this in mind when making me a reasonable offer , , , , you can also email me at pipps777@aol.com , thank you

$1700? :roll: I don't think I've ever seen one go for that amount, and the last one I saw on ebay didn't even get a bid at the BIN of $650!!! Yes, they're rare, but come on. It's a Korean made bolt on instrument. More power to ya if you can get someone to pay close to that price.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 10:54 am 

dude , a little diplomacy here, please !! i never said i wanted or even thought the realm of $1700 was possible , ,so ,hang onto your wig for the moment , , , there were only two of these ever listed on ebay , i have them stored in my computer files which i will gladly email you ,to show you ,the first one sold for $1200 and about 4 months later , a second one sold for $1150 , , , the question here , is not to determine that a piece of wood is worth any amount, but it is worth a certain amount, to some certain individual whom will pay it , right einstein ?? not to compare apples and oranges ,but last year i bought a vintage automobile in pristine condition, for $10,000 , many people wouldnt' have given $2500 for it , , i wanted it, i had the money, no one can find another one like it, i bought it !! lesson to be learned here and anywhere , right ?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 10:57 am 

PJMUCK !!! ha ! you actually bought something from me last year , and paid "through the nose " for it !!! andrew, board administrator verifed my validity for you then , , ,frankie/new york ? ring a bell ??

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 11:26 am 
Site Admin

OK let's go for the decaffeinated version of this conversation from here on out.

Frankie, you just said you saw two of them on ebay, one for $1200, and one for $1150. I don't think PJ's outta line to be shocked at you previously saying $1700 if you meant $1200, right?

Plus if they are going for that PJ, you should sell yours! :shock:

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 11:28 am 
Site Admin

PIPPS wrote:
PJMUCK !!! ha ! you actually bought something from me last year , and paid "through the nose " for it !!! andrew, board administrator verifed my validity for you then , , ,frankie/new york ? ring a bell ??

I'm just one admin here, PJ's another, and he's got as much say as I do.

Post subject: Re: Left Handed Epiphone Thunderbird
PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 1:28 pm 

First off, it was never my intention to buzz kill your potential sale, so I apologize if that's how it came across. I will also apologize for any negative comment I may have made about the Korean made Epi-T-Bird. They're perfectly fine basses for what they are and they look and sound great, even if the righties normally retail for only $299. It's your bass and you have a right to set any asking price you wish. However, as potential buyers, people have a right to comment on your statements, especially if certain comments appear to be suspect. Had you simply stated that you were asking $1700, I still would have rolled my eyes, but I would have never posted a comment because there may very well be lefties on our forum who want one of these basses badly enough to cough up the coin and who am I to shoot someone down for that when I've paid questionable prices for some of my basses over the years too (and no, I don't recall what bass I bought from you Frank). Hell, if someone's willing to pay anywhere near that price then I've got to start taking better care of mine, LOL.

The problem I have with your post is you stated that, "In all these years i have only seen two of these hit ebay ,and the last one went for $1700." I watch ebay closely as well, and I've seen more than 2 lefties over the years, but I've never seen one go for anywhere near $1700. Is it possible? Perhaps, as it might have been a quick BIN that I never saw, but I doubt it. The fact that you now claim that you've seen only 2 and they went for $1200 and $1,150 respectively supports my suspicion that perhaps there never was a $1700 lefty Epi T-Bird.

I understand you questioning my diplomacy, especially if it effects your sale, but I have to question yours. We've tried to set up this forum as a site where lefties can share thoughts and trade or sell items fairly and honestly, since more often than not we get the shaft from most manufacturers, retailers, etc. I have nothing against someone using creative descriptions and embellishment to help make an item for sale more appealing (caveat emptor), but we have a very knowledgeable group here and if you make statements that are questionable or suspect, you will deservedly be called out for it.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 6:36 pm 

i didnt even notice the $1700 mention in the first post. i was moreso just enjoying talking with PIPPS on this post, and being able to relate, as well as any post with any board member. i love hearing the passion in people when they talk about their axes. this is the first forum i have been a part of and im loving getting acquaitned with other lefties. i apologize if i led you to believe, PIPPS, that i was considering buying the bass.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 8:12 pm 

All the preceding number$ would be hard to gauge in this December 2008 economy.
Declining stock valuations + recession + inventory reductions = buyer's market.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 9:00 pm 

my apologies to all ,if i came off rather brash ,i guess that's just the new yorker in me, $1700 ,ok ,the keyboard got stuck !! whatever, no problem ,i enjoy lively banter and conversation, rather than the norm on other boards whereas everyone pats everyone on the back ,so no problem here , , ,and NO ONE has to apologize for the quality of a korean epiphone t bird bass ,it is what it is , , in the real world , in a real market , where basses are used to record multi platnum records, and basses go on tours where stadiums are played, in that world, the bass is garbage !! in the cool factor, the lefty factor, the t bird factor , the bass is good , , squier good ,NOT american p bass or gibson good , , , so , , you take it from there , , , however ,what i did and still do mean t say , is that it is an extreme rarity, from epiphone , ,there were only one dozen ever made ,period , , there's a company in canada that actually makes fiberglass replica of a 1958 ford thunderbird ,all with modern drive train, electrics etc etc ,they sell for around $35,000 - however ,if you want the REAL deal ,you must be willing to shell out atleat $75,000 for a prime example ( check barret-jackson ) , so in retrospect of what i say and said , , ,you can have a tokai , you can have one custom made , BUT IF YOU MUST HAVE THE VERY FEW RARE ONES THAT EPIPHONE MADE, if you are an epiphone efficitionado and extreme collector , then i guess the sky's the limit on what an epiphone collector would pay for one of these rare items !!!

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 9:04 pm 

furthurmore , i'm a P bass guy !! !! !! right andrew !!!

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 9:07 pm 

what's with all the commas?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 10:59 pm 

PIPPS wrote:
my apologies to all ,if i came off rather brash ,i guess that's just the new yorker in me, $1700 ,ok ,the keyboard got stuck !! whatever,

So, did you really see one of these basses go for $1700 on Ebay? Or were you just bullshitting us the first time?

(and obviously hoping no one would call you on it?)

Sorry my friend, but you're explanation (keystroke error) doesn't appear very sincere to me. Especially since you didn't mention that AT ALL in your first response to pjmuck.

But hey, I'm just a California dood. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 1st, 2008, 11:05 pm 

I don't want this place to become drama central, but I also don't want sellers trying to overhype their stuff here.

I'm not worried about that with this fine group. You can't bullshit a lefty bassist with GAS. :D

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2008, 12:04 am 
Site Admin

bbl wrote:
I don't want this place to become drama central, but I also don't want sellers trying to overhype their stuff here.

I'm not worried about that with this fine group. You can't bullshit a lefty bassist with GAS. :D

Naw, this place is beautifully drama free, and I think it'll stay that way. We might have a hiccup now and then, but we're all a pretty even keel group of guys.