LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:05 pm

Post subject: 1977 FRETLESS Lefty Fender P Bass - $750 shipped in the US
PostPosted: February 19th, 2011, 9:50 pm 

Up for sale is a left-handed fretless fender P bass. Now let me say off the bat that I can only vouch for what I know about the bass based on what I was told from the previous owner. However, I did verify through the product dating information on the fender website that this is a 1977 Fender bass. As far as I know, all of the hardware is still the original hardware. The paint job is a custom job done in 1984 according to the guy I bought it from.

The bass is very unique in terms of knobs and tone adjustments. It has toggle switches for various tone adjustments, and based on my conversation with a fender representative, he talked about how unique many of the P basses were from the 70s because they customized so many. The neck looks like it has been repaired somewhere along the way. I took it to two luthiers to look at it and ensure that it was ok, and they said they had never seen a better job. I LOVE the sound and feel of this bass. Unlike the newer basses, this has a nice weight and feel to it. Very nice balanced instrument. It has some deep scratches on the back, most likely from a belt buckle. It comes with what I believe is the original case-it is old, and has the red velvet lining. This bass has total vintage character! FYI, it weighs 11.8 pounds, which is typical of the basses from the 70s.

Overall , it is in good shape for it's age, and it plays awesome. If you are looking for a nice vintage bass at a very reasonable price, this is it. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Thanks for looking! ....and yes, it's the same one posted on ebay, and return policy still applies. I know it's hard getting something like this sight unseen. I'll take it back if you don't like it after trying it a few days.

Attachments:
photo-16.JPG
photo-16.JPG [ 97.73 KiB | Viewed 5263 times ]
photo-18.JPG
photo-18.JPG [ 79.15 KiB | Viewed 5264 times ]
photo-17.JPG
photo-17.JPG [ 82 KiB | Viewed 5262 times ]
 Post subject: Re: 1977 FRETLESS Lefty Fender P Bass - $750 shipped in the US
PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 12:38 am 
Site Admin

Looks like a Fender neck put onto an aftermarket body to me. Is the striped look of the body's top the paint job or flamed wood figuring?

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 1:27 am 

Hi. It is indeed a fender body, but has been custom painted over. Looks as though it may have been yellow originally. Not knowing much about the bass when I got it, I made every effort I could to try to confirm as much as possible about it. While it is shiny from the pictures and the paint is not in bad shape, you can tell in person that the paint job has been on for a very long time. The bridge and preamp section are definitely old school as well. Not trying to misrepresent anything, just saying all I know, and offering the option for people to return it if it's not what they wanted. That's as honest as I can get without meeting up and letting people see it in person. For me when I bought it, it was just a cool, unique looking bass that had a sound that took me back 30 years to the songs I grew up on. I wasn't looking at it from the perspective of it being a classic until people started asking me questions about it and saying they'd never seen anything like it. I just don't do fretless now, and I don't need 10 basses taking up space! :-) Since I got this one, I have picked up two more 1970s fender basses that I know I will keep (hey, when ya find em, ya grab em!). Thanks for the question!

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Is the neck plate also gold, or chrome and Fender "F" stamped?

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 2:15 am 

Hi, the neckplate is gold to match the pickguard. The bridge is also the same color. Hope this helps. Thanks!

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 8:47 am 

Hey, nice bass.

Can you describe the neck repair in more detail?
Also, what exactly do all the switches do?
Pickups look to be replacement DiMarzios?

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 12:00 pm 

Hi, thank you! Item just sold this morning, and I'm having such hesitation now cuz it is such a cool bass. The neck looks like it split such that the top of the neck was partly separated from the rest of the bass. I have to admit that the fix was incredible, and I didn't even know notice the fix until the previous owner showed it to me.

Switches:
Take away the switches, and this bass is basically an older version of the precision deluxe bass of today, which has P/J pickups. The custom switches provide variations in tone control. Through the switches, you can make the bass instantly have more or less mids, highs, and lows, etc.

Thanks!

PostPosted: February 20th, 2011, 12:01 pm 

Hi everyone, thanks for looking. The bass SOLD this morning! Take care, and Lefty Power!