LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:53 am

Post subject: 3 Blonde Bass Beauties for sale - #2 Carvin SB5000
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 11:32 am 

I've got 3 trusty blonde bass beauties for sale. All of these have served me well and are in great shape, but post NAMM I said what the hell and ordered a couple of dream basses, that's why these are priced to sell.....

Carvin SB5000 Ash body. Full disclosure - this bass is pretty heavy, I don't know the exact weight but I'm guessing its around 11 pounds. I had the original neck with a maple board replaced with the rosewood one for aesthetic reasons. Why Carvin left it's name off the new headstock I don't know, but it looks great nonetheless! Just in case you prefer a maple board, I'll throw that in just because. Comes with Carvin hardshell case. 700.00 plus 40.00 for shipping.

Shipping only to Continental U.S. folks and PayPal definitely preferred

Bryan Dean a.k.a. Dark Kent
http://www.bdeanmusic.com

Attachments:
File comment: Carvin SB5000 #1
DSCN3542-1.JPG
DSCN3542-1.JPG [ 90.83 KiB | Viewed 12662 times ]
File comment: Carvin SB5000 #2
DSCN3541-1.JPG
DSCN3541-1.JPG [ 71.6 KiB | Viewed 12667 times ]
File comment: Carvin maple board with stainless steel frets
DSCN3550-1.JPG
DSCN3550-1.JPG [ 89.11 KiB | Viewed 12661 times ]

Post subject: Re: 3 Blonde Bass Beauties for sale - #2 Carvin SB5000
PostPosted: January 28th, 2011, 6:37 am 

Hi,
I'm interested in this bass but wonder why you won't ship it abroad? Of course, if I bought it I'd expect to fork out for freight, which to Japan would be $80-110 depending on UPS/USPS Priority or First Class. Pls let me know. Thanks, Glen

Warwick b/o Thumb 5/Corvette 5F, Steinberger XL25WL/XL2FL, Ibanez 645/505/506, Tune BassManiac 5, Aria IGB68-5, Hohner B2VA, MM Sterling, Squier VMJ, FauxFender Dinky J, GB Shuttle 3.10T, GK MB200 & 500, Nemesis 410 cab, Korg G5.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2011, 2:10 pm 

did you HAVE to do this when I don't have the $$$$$?!?!

:cry:

PostPosted: January 29th, 2011, 9:32 am 

These are awesome basses for those of you who are not familiar with them. I certainly wasn't before seeing them at NAMM.
In the Carvin booth there was a mind blowing 20 minute pro level pop-slap-funk-smooth-jazz jam going on between 5 pro level players, all of them going thru 5 different Carvin amps of course. 2 of the basses had different pups (soapbar style IIRC). One of the fellows was using the fretless version. All sounded spectacular.

Generally speaking I have not been a Carvin bass fanboy in the past. But this bass has opened my eyes and ears to new possibilities.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 2:38 am 

I've been wanting one of these since they first came out. Damn, where's that winning lotto ticket when I need it! Oh yeah, they don't have lotto in Hawaii.... :(

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 7:38 am 

wow no one bought this yet? :shock:

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 9:27 am 

Quote:
Oh yeah, they don't have lotto in Hawaii....

They consider you guys are already lucky enough to live there...

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 2:01 pm 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah, they don't have lotto in Hawaii....

They consider you guys are already lucky enough to live there...

True Dat! :D

PostPosted: February 13th, 2011, 12:35 pm 

I want to go to Hawaii......someone buy this bass so I can do it!!!

PostPosted: February 21st, 2011, 12:33 pm 

Someone buy this before I break and get in big trouble with the missus!!

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 9:34 am 

PM sent

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 12:53 pm 

SOLD........

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 1:27 pm 

To Me! Thanks darkkent, been wanting one an SB5000 ever since they came out, and this deal was WAY too good to pass up. Sent the money yesterday, and darkkent has already shipped it off to me! Might have it in time for my gig next Saturday.

As stated before in another thread, darkkent is super easy to work with, quick responses to emails, and plays in a killer band! In case you haven't heard him play, check out the videos on his website.... his band rocks!

Thanks again, darkkent...

PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 7:30 pm 

congrats dude enjoy and pls post pics/review when you get it. I'll have to wait for the next one :cry:

PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 6:37 am 

Stingray5 wrote:
congrats dude enjoy and pls post pics/review when you get it. I'll have to wait for the next one :cry:

Thanks, and will do. Am anxiously awaiting this in the mail. Wednesday is the day, but I might get lucky and see it on Tuesday. Can't wait!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 3:57 pm 

Guys, all I can say is OMG! :o the bass is beautiful, everything is like new. It's as if I ordered it direct from Carvin. Thanks again darkkent! I'm working, so more later....

PostPosted: March 15th, 2011, 8:45 pm 

Congratulations, those are awesome indeed! Are you going to put the maple neck back? (I know I would just because I like the crunch of a maple neck on a Jazz Bass)

PostPosted: March 16th, 2011, 3:38 am 

So, I had the chance tonight to finally spend some time with the SB5000. It rocks! And darkkent added some goodies into the sale - besides the original Maple neck, there's a set of H50A's that were in the case, and a set of new Dunlop nickle strings, as darkkent is an endorsee for them. The bass is fitted at this point with J99A's.

Christmas has come early, I've won my own little lottery, and got such a great deal on all of this, I feel a tad guilty about the price.... OK, I'm over it! But, darkkent is a very generous guy, and great to work with. Anytime he puts something up for sale, buy it! You won't be dissappointed...

Really want to put the Maple neck on, but am going to wait for a bit (which could be in two days or two weeks!) It's interesting to think that the J99's (which are single-poles) open up the Rosewood neck, and the H50's (humbuckers) might tone down the Maple...

Tonight I spent some time going over the bass... tweaked the truss-rod and lowered the action a bit, looked in the control cavity just for the hell-of-it, and changed my strap-locks and comfort strap over to the SB so the weight difference will seem minimal. Showed it to my roommate (a fellow bass player), and my two cousins, who are staying with me, and they all were impressed by the look, and sound.

Speaking of sound, after pulling it out of the shipping box, I played it just for a minute or two through my little battery powered Roland bass cube,then had to go back to my job site. Tonight I set up my Accugroove Tri-112 through my Walter Woods, and started shaking the pictures and my other basses that hang on the walls! Great tone, and the active EQ system sounds very usable! I am normally not a big fan of active EQ's, but the Carvin sounds nice right away, and allows me to find nuances and styles with easy adjustments.

Also plugged it into my Roland GT-10B, and stomped through various patches... that was fun! I'm inspired....

Now that I think of it, I haven't seen an SB5000 over here, but I'm sure it will generate a lot of interest! Will be playing it at a Rock Club this Saturday, along with three other bands, so I'm anxious to see the reactions it is sure to generate.

Have a good friend, who's like my bass-guru, who is very interested in seeing it, and another friend who has been talking of getting one, but I think the only reason he doesn't have one already, is he has a preference for six string basses. His misfortune!

So, these are my first impressions, with more to follow as I play it out, and change it over to the Maple neck, and try the pickups against one another. There's a bunch of fun coming up in my future!

Alohas...
Ian

PostPosted: March 16th, 2011, 3:53 am 

you just made me REALLY want my carvin fl to get here already (another 2 weeks max!). I'm glad you're enjoying your bass!

PostPosted: March 16th, 2011, 10:48 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
...at NAMM. In the Carvin booth there was a mind blowing 20 minute pro level pop-slap-funk-smooth-jazz jam going on between 5 pro level players, all of them going thru 5 different Carvin amps of course. 2 of the basses had different pups (soapbar style IIRC). One of the fellows was using the fretless version. All sounded spectacular....

I have read where guys remove all the electronics from their Carvins to replace them, claiming that Carvins are well-made but the electronics "suck" for lack of a better word. I have used my Carvin LB75 for some 17 years, stacked humbies, stock, and soundmen and studio engineers are very quick to complement the sound and tones.

I tell people all the time - listen with your ears. Then look at the name.