LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 6th, 2024, 6:41 am

Post subject: FS/FT: Lakland USA Joe Osborn 5-String
PostPosted: October 11th, 2010, 12:42 pm 

Ok... I finally decided to sell my beloved USA Lakland Joe Osborn 5-String bass.

:shock:

This is one of only TWO lefty JoBo 5'ers known to exist... and now that Lakland has officially removed the "Joe Osborn" from the description and from the serial numbers, it almost has a bit of a collector's vibe to it.

Here are the pics:

Here are the specs...

• Swamp Ash body
• Translucent aged blonde (butterscotch) finish (wood grain is lightly visible through the finish)
• Quarter sawn rock maple neck
• BEAUTIFULLY striped rosewood slab board
• Birdseye maple dot markers
• Stack-knob electronics (V/T & V/T)
• Lindy Fralin custom pickups
• Dunlop Straplok compatible strap buttons
• Chrome front pickup cover
• Hipshot Ultralight Tuners
• OHSC with Lakland logo
• Approximate weight is 9.5 lbs

Condition:

This is a used bass... there is "thumbnail wear" above the bridge pickup, and along the B-string where I've rested my thumb while playing. The pickguard has swirling from my knuckles from slapping. There are some minor digs on the headstock and one or two small surface dings on the body. All the minor "wear" that comes along with playing can be seen if you look closely.

However, as you can see from the pictures, this is all very minor wear... the bass is in pretty great shape cosmetically... I've played it a lot, but I've taken very good care of it. 98% of the wear could probably be buffed out with some automotive polish if you were bothered by it. Personally, I think it adds to the charm. :)

Both live and on tape, this thing sounds absolutely ridiculous... but it especially shines live. The way the wood combo in this bass is tuned just makes it sit PERFECTLY in the mix.

I'm selling it for two reasons:

1.) I have major GAS right now that is taking me in a couple of other directions
2.) I also have another high-end 5-string with a maple board that is getting almost 100% of my attention right now... the Laklansd is just sitting and not being played. It's pretty stupid to let it sit there and waste away... I have a personal policy about owning basses that I don't play... so I thought I'd give someone else a shot at this beauty.

Price:

Current MSRP on this bass is $4800 with Lakland pickups... "Street" is about $3600... wait time is approximately 14 months. I waited 16 months for this one!!!

I'm asking a pretty firm $2500 shipped & fully insured to the lower 48... I MIGHT be open to a trade for an equal value bass or a trade plus cash to me. If you have ideas, don't be afraid to let me know. I'll consider anything.

I also MIGHT be willing to ship internationally... but, we'll have to talk first. Overseas UPS is recommended for insurance purposes, but it is VERY expensive (usually $250-$400 USD). Shipping standard post overseas for a high-dollar instrument can be pretty risky... and if I'm confident that you're ok with taking that risk and not holding me responsible for anything, it might work. Let's talk.

Somebody buy this before I change my mind.

Thanks!!!

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Post subject: Re: FS/FT: Lakland USA Joe Osborn 5-String
PostPosted: October 11th, 2010, 5:18 pm 

Hi,

Is it possible to give me the width at the top nut and 12th fret and the strings spacing at the bridge? Is it noiseless when using one PU? Is it a stack pot with volume and tone separately?

Thanks,

PostPosted: October 11th, 2010, 5:47 pm 

slybass3000 wrote:
Is it possible to give me the width at the top nut

1.81"
slybass3000 wrote:
and 12th fret

2.65"
slybass3000 wrote:
and the strings spacing at the bridge?

0.75"
slybass3000 wrote:
Is it noiseless when using one PU?

The pickups are Lindy Fralin single coils made specifically for Lakland... they are regarded as some of the highest quality passive pickups available. Before Lakland started using their own pickups, Dan Lakin went through hundreds of pickups looking for the one that had the best single coil vintage sound... none of them beat the Fralins.

As with any single coil, they're not noiseless; however, I've never had a problem with this bass being noisy. But, the tradeoff is that single coils tend to have a little more bite to them than "noiseless" pickups.
slybass3000 wrote:
Is it a stack pot with volume and tone separately?

Each pickup has it's own volume/tone control stacked. The volume is the top knob, and the tone is the bottom knob. This is how the original '60 basses were wired.
slybass3000 wrote:
Thanks,

You're welcome.

You can probably find more information on the Lakland website, here: http://www.lakland.com/44-60.htm

Or on the Lindy Fralin Website, here: http://www.fralinpickups.com/

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: October 11th, 2010, 9:46 pm 

Quote:
The pickups are Lindy Fralin single coils made specifically for Lakland... they are regarded as some of the highest quality passive pickups available. Before Lakland started using their own pickups, Dan Lakin went through hundreds of pickups looking for the one that had the best single coil vintage sound... none of them beat the Fralins.

As with any single coil, they're not noiseless; however, I've never had a problem with this bass being noisy. But, the tradeoff is that single coils tend to have a little more bite to them than "noiseless" pickups.

I concur, I tried everything and ended up with the Lindy's on my Jazz Bass. They are simply the best Jazz Bass pickups money can buy. And made in the US by Lindy himself.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2010, 5:41 am 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Quote:

I concur, I tried everything and ended up with the Lindy's on my Jazz Bass. They are simply the best Jazz Bass pickups money can buy. And made in the US by Lindy himself.

Ah ok. Thanks for your input. I do have Fralin on my Jazz and I like it too. ;-)

PostPosted: October 12th, 2010, 6:51 am 

Here's a quick sound sample I did before work today...

CLICK HERE!

I apologize for whatever crap I was trying to play... :? ... it was pretty early and I was still trying to digest coffee at the time... :lol:

But, hopefully it gives you a good idea of what the bass sounds like with both volumes and both tones at 100%.

Big, round, full, fat, and burpy... with a nice growl. :mrgreen:

There isn't any EQ or compression or anything else on the bass either... it's completely dry.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2010, 7:44 am 

+1 for Fralin's!!

PostPosted: October 12th, 2010, 2:53 pm 

Addison wrote:
Here's a quick sound sample I did before work today...

CLICK HERE!

I apologize for whatever crap I was trying to play... :? ... it was pretty early and I was still trying to digest coffee at the time... :lol:

But, hopefully it gives you a good idea of what the bass sounds like with both volumes and both tones at 100%.

Big, round, full, fat, and burpy... with a nice growl. :mrgreen:

There isn't any EQ or compression or anything else on the bass either... it's completely dry.

Not bad for a first coffee ;). Good playing Chris.

What was you rec chain?

PostPosted: October 12th, 2010, 4:26 pm 

Addison wrote:

Another clean recording sample from Mr. Chris. Good playing bro! Oh, and the bass sounds fantastic too! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 12th, 2010, 8:24 pm 

Oh my goodness, you've got me scheming over here!

PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 6:40 am 

SPF!!!

:o

PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 2:06 pm 

SOLD AND SHIPPED TODAY!!!

8-)

PostPosted: October 15th, 2010, 8:54 pm 

Someone is getting quite a jewel! Chris, you might miss this bass after it's gone. It looked and sounded fantastic.