LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 9:19 am

Post subject: Fender SKB Molded Left Handed P Bass or Jazz Bass Case - TSA
PostPosted: April 24th, 2010, 1:50 pm 

I have a near mint condition Fender Case that the American Standard P and J basses ship in. There is only 1 case and both bass body shapes fit. It's a KILLER case. I recently acquired another Jazz bass with the same case so I do not need 2 of them. NOTE: Fender Lefty Cases cost more than the Standard Cases and harder to find in stock or online.

$139.99 plus $19.99 SH on ebay
Samash has them for $144.99 plus $20.00 ground shipping. The box is big... I'll get actual pics up soon. Here are some generic pics of the case.

$100 Shipped to anywhere in the Lower 48 USA ONLY! :mrgreen:

Attachments:
Side.jpg
Side.jpg [ 29.93 KiB | Viewed 14051 times ]
Latch.jpg
Latch.jpg [ 51.12 KiB | Viewed 14061 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Fender SKB Molded Left Handed P Bass or Jazz Bass Case - TSA
PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 7:52 am 

Sorry for the potentially ignorant question, but is this a "flight case" that you can check into airline baggage? Thanks.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 1:02 pm 

Agent00Soul wrote:
Sorry for the potentially ignorant question, but is this a "flight case" that you can check into airline baggage? Thanks.

Yes sir. Its a great HARD supported case. The latches are very durable and flight safe. The plastic shell can definitely take some abuse and latches are very tight.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 6:29 pm 

As requested.. Pics of the actual case. Its in EXCELLENT shape and kept in smoke free environment.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 170.45 KiB | Viewed 13976 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 147.2 KiB | Viewed 13974 times ]
PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 6:30 pm 

a few more....

Attachments:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 92.05 KiB | Viewed 13973 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 78.21 KiB | Viewed 13973 times ]
PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 6:31 pm 

Notes: spots shown are from camera flash.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 8:11 am 

It looks great - thanks for the photos!

But I see it's specifically molded for the Jazz. I was hoping that I could get one case and swap my Jazz and Jaguar depending on which I took with me to a gig. It doesn't look like I can do it from these pix.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 8:35 am 

There is room for a larger bass inside. Give me the measurements of your Jaguar. I don't see it being larger than a Jazz bass but mush more than a hair. You have a personal pm.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 8:38 am 

Additional note: This case is "not" molded for a Jazz bass. It's a standard Jazz and Precision bass fitting. The body side will fit either basses and length is plenty long to accommodate many 35" scales. There is only one SKB style molded case for Fender Basses and fits all as far as I know....

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 9:58 am 

gravesbass wrote:
NOTE: Fender Lefty Cases cost more than the Standard Cases and harder to find in stock or online.

Yours is not a lefty case, judging by the photos, however, unless Fender doesn't offer a true lefty case for these. Funny thing, all they'd have to do is flip the inner molding around and reposition the handle. A usual lefty case would be configured to have the headstock pointing downward with tuners on top, so when you pick up the case by the handle gravity doesn't make for the bass resting on it's tuners. It probably wouldn't make a difference with this particular kind of case, since there's a separate well area molded for the headstock alone, but just saying.

Update: Odd case design. Look at the righty case inside photo here. A righty is actually set up better for a lefty :roll: :

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=620711

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 5:28 pm 

Hey PJ,

Its a left handed case and the only one they make for the left handed basses in the SKB mold design. Not true lefty like my yellow one I had posted where the headstock points right.

The standard right handed case will not work for a left handed bass. It's a good case if your looking for sturdy and the tuners do not hit the sides like the other cases. What was Fender thinking. Lame design. I had a bent E string tuner because of that crappy case.

Anyways, a P bass fits (with a little movement inside), a Jazz bass fits from 34 - 35" Scale and I believe a Fender Jaguar will also fit. It doesn't just have to be a Fender bass.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 5:51 pm 

"True" lefty cases?

I don't have a single case that is set up like what you guys are talking about.

MusicMan deluxe G&G case
Lakland branded creme CWW case
Lakland G&G brown tolex with burgundy interior case
Fender branded G&G brown tolex with gold interior
Fender branded G&G black with orange and silver Fender logo
Roscoe TKL hardshell case

All of those cases will only fit lefties, and not one of them is set up so the headstock is to the the right with the machine heads facing up.

I've tried flipping my bass over strings down (to simulate a righty) and they are definitely lefty only.

Weird.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 8:22 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
The standard right handed case will not work for a left handed bass. It's a good case if your looking for sturdy and the tuners do not hit the sides like the other cases. What was Fender thinking. Lame design. I had a bent E string tuner because of that crappy case.

You're right, my bad. :oops: Looking at the righty interior again I think I got confused by the upper lid molding. I still have to wonder, though, why Fender couldn't just flip the insides of the lefty case around so the headstock's pointing to the right and mount the handle further to the left to counter balance.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 11:17 pm 

This picture below is what the old 70's cases looked like. You can find the reissues in the custom shop but I still don't think the neck is to the right when case is open.... See pic.

All the new Fender lefty cases are like mine listed in this thread. There is a SKB Molded and G&G Style with the neck facing to the left like above. It's a lefty case.... Thats it. Righty bass will not fit. Not sure where the confusion is.... :shock:

Attachments:
P1030432.jpg
P1030432.jpg [ 49.93 KiB | Viewed 13886 times ]
PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 6:47 am 

Ok, now I'm really getting confused. Probably due to the fact that I'm so used to having my basses in righty cases that I expect them to balance a certain way, but isn't the placement of the handle on that vintage lefty case wrong? Shouldn't it be further to the left? :?:

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 7:04 am 

gravesbass wrote:
Not sure where the confusion is.... :shock:

The only confusion I had is when you said, "Not true lefty like my yellow one I had posted where the headstock points right."

When I looked at the case for sale in this thread, I didn't see anything wrong with it since every case I own has the same orientation... and spoke up after PJ said it didn't look right.

That case with the gold interior you posted is VERY uncommon for a newer case. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a recent G&G case like that before... and the fact that the handle is towards the headstock is REALLY weird.

I talked to the owner of G&G a few years ago and their reason as to why they make their cases "headstock pointing left" is because they mass produce the shells and then do the interior later in batches. In order for a lefty case where the headstock points right to work, the middle buckle and the case handle would have to be flipped in order for the case to balance properly... they literally don't keep any lefty cases on hand since they make so few, so each case is made to order using the empty shells they have on hand.

I'm sure the same is true for the "molded" flight cases and your Fender flight case as well. The shells of those cases are probably produced by the thousands and whenever they need a few lefty cases they use the shells that are already complete and do the interior accordingly.

Yeah... sort of lame I guess... but I do understand their reasoning.

Anyway... if I have to choose one or the other I would rather have a case that balances properly than one where the tuners were facing up, since I realistically can't have both without paying close to a grand for a custom built one-off case.

But... I guess with me it doesn't matter anyway since I never use hardshell cases anymore... all of my cases are purely for "added collector value" or whatever.

I'm all about good gig bags these days... :ugeek:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 8:06 am 

I measured my Jaguar last night and in theory it should fit in this case as the body is a bit smaller than a Jazz, but I really have no way of telling if it would actually fit properly in such a specific double-cutaway shape without trying it.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 9:05 am 

The picture I put up with the Fender P Bass was my G&G 64' Reissue Custom Shop Case made by G&G Cases I purchased from a guy a year ago. It was also listed in another for sale thread on leftybassist with all the details of the size and why the handle was i the incorrect place (Righty shell like Addison mentioned above). Its a righty shell with lefty guts. It balanced a little body heavy but merely for looks and that case is gone to a leftybassist board member already. G&G fooked up on it. I also called G&G and they did not ofer the lefty case like this one.... but they made it a few years back for the guy.. Strange.

Anyways, this case is still for sale and left handed basses fit up to 35" scale (My Mike Lull M5V 35" Scale fit perfect). I just wanted to offer it to this community first. I am surprised this thread had so many questions. Were lefty's. There are minimal options.... Great case at a great shipped price for the condition! If it dont sell in the next day or two, ill keep it for storage or just use it for my road gigs. :D

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 9:53 am 

Poor Gravebass. Just wants to sell his case and we're giving him carp about it.

I'm sorry for all the questions, and it was never my intention to question the validity of your listing and/or your integrity. I found the topic of lefty cases interesting enough to want to pursue a discussion, since there have been historically, so many discrepancies and inconsistencies, but I won't hijack your thread anymore. If anyone's interested in having a further discussion about cases, elt's start a thread in another forum. :)

Good luck with the sale.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 10:10 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Poor Gravebass. Just wants to sell his case and we're giving him carp about it.

No worries PJ. I now know to explain in more detail when listing as not everyone here know the differences. Just an FYI... To my knowledge, this is the ONLY case that ships with the newer left handed American Standard Fender basses from 2008 to current. It's a great case and KILLER outside shell. If the bass fits a little loose inside, lay a soft cloth on top of the bass and close the case.... easy and more stable! I have 2 of these cases but only one for sale.

ack.... I will never leave comments from my phone again.. too many typo's.. ha!

AND.....................

"SOLD" to leftsphere. Thansk Barry for the easy transaction and putting this thread to rest. :D