LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 15th, 2024, 10:30 pm

Post subject: Modulus Genesis BG5 5-String *LEFT-HANDED*
PostPosted: October 30th, 2009, 12:00 pm 

I'm selling a Left-Handed Modulus Genesis BG5 that is still practically brand-new.

$1700 with OHSC and *FREE* UPS Ground to the lower 48.

I literally just bought this thing NEW a couple of months ago; however, since then, I've had a mid-life crisis and want to try and purchase my dream 6-string bass. The ONLY way to make that happen is to let this bass go... :( With that said, my price is pretty firm.

As a Michael Tobias designed bass should, it plays, sounds, and feels absolutely KILLER... the neck is adjusted very well, the action is stupid low, it's incredibly well-balanced, and it looks sexy as hell.

It was manufactured in 2004.

The original MSRP with added options is as follows:
Modulus Genesis BG5 5-string $3,399
Left-Handed Option: $300
Aguilar OBP-3 18V Preamp: $250
Total MSRP: $3,949

Standard features:
Carbon fiber/maple neck with compound radius, Chechen fingerboard with 22 frets and a 35" scale, 1.88" @ nut, 3.00" @ 22nd fret, 17mm spacing at bridge, bi-directional relief adjusting rod, Alder body, gloss-black finish, black hardware, molded case, & strap-lock compatible strap-pegs.

Weight is average... not super light, but far from heavy... it is INCREDIBLY well balanced.

There are only two negative things that I can say about this thing...

The first thing is that it came with a bad blend pot. Rather than sending it back to Modulus, I fixed that... so it works just fine now. I actually tried 4 different blend pots before I settled on the one that had the best sound and provided the smoothest taper from pickup-to-pickup. Just being honest.

The second thing is that the strap-peg on the upper horn poked a hole through the fabric in the TKL case that came with it. This is how I received the bass, and I never called to complain. I stuffed some fabric in it to keep it from getting worse, but... I don't use hardshell cases anyway so it never really bothered me. I use gig bags.

As far as wear is concerned, there are very slight rub marks from my thumb resting on the rear pickup and the low-B, but nothing more than normal light wear from about 30 hours of total playtime. There are NO chips, nicks, or dings of any kind.

And finally... you might be wondering why this bass was discontinued by Modulus. According to Modulus, it was simply because the licensing agreement between Modulus and Michael Tobias ran out. Modulus plans on releasing their own Genesis design at some point down the line. Michael Tobias himself obviously loved the design enough to keep it for himself, as the Kingston series of basses he currently produces is ver similar in design from the body to the headstock.

Ask anyone who has one of these things... they're very nice basses, and they're getting hard to find. I welcome any questions or concerns, so please PM me or email me at caddison AT gmail DOT com!!!

Thanks!

Pictures!!!

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Last edited by Addison on October 30th, 2009, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Modulus Genesis BG5 5-String *LEFT-HANDED*
PostPosted: October 30th, 2009, 12:15 pm 

PostPosted: October 30th, 2009, 12:26 pm 

Yeah, I know... :mrgreen:

I had a few minutes at work and I wanted to get it posted and out of the way, since it's a slow day here at work.

I have a gig tonight, but I might be able to get some in before then or after the gig...

If not, then tomorrow morning I'll have some up for sure.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: October 30th, 2009, 3:26 pm 

Addison, not happy with your Modulus... OR... are you looking to sell to possibly fund a Ken Smith? Hint..Nudge... :mrgreen:

All kidding aside... I know what you want.....

Good luck with your sale!! That's a nice bass....

PostPosted: October 30th, 2009, 4:16 pm 

12 Pictures added, and I'm working on some sound bytes!!!

gravesbass wrote:
Addison, not happy with your Modulus... OR... are you looking to sell to possibly fund a Ken Smith? Hint..Nudge... :mrgreen:

All kidding aside... I know what you want.....

Good luck with your sale!! That's a nice bass....

:mrgreen:

Haha!! Thanks dude... good luck with your sale.

To be honest, with the way my frikkin' mind changes back and forth these days, I might very well buy your bass...

I'm serious.... you never know. I've always wanted a 6'er, but sometimes I wonder if I'm "that type" of player... I'm into the low registers. But... I guess I'll never know until I try.

I just know I need to get "that one", whatever it might be... I've been playing for like 20 years now. I deserve to go crazy on myself!!! :shock:

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 11:30 am 

out of curiousty what is that bass on right of the modulous from the little i can see it looks like a lefty squier vintage modified fretless aka the jaco signature squier

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps you should grab a cheap 6er off ebay to try playing 6 string before you invest in an expensive one?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 1:53 pm 

frankenjazz wrote:
out of curiousty what is that bass on right of the modulous from the little i can see it looks like a lefty squier vintage modified fretless aka the jaco signature squier

It's a Warmoth Fretless Jazz...

It's got Hipshot Ultralites, highly figured birdseye maple neck, ebony board, swamp ash body, SD Antiquity II p'ups, and a Badass II bridge... One of the best sounding fretlesses I've ever heard.

I wish Duncan would make 5-string Antiquity II's... because they would be in my Jo Osborn if they did.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 2:04 pm 

andrew wrote:
Perhaps you should grab a cheap 6er off ebay to try playing 6 string before you invest in an expensive one?

I know what you're saying, but I've played one before... enough to know I'd like to have one.

And I never played 5-string before I bought a nice one. My first one was a Warwick Streamer LX. I'm SOOO glad I just went for it, since the investment I made in it helped me to learn to love it.

Now I'm almost exclusively a 5-string player... hardly ever even touch my 4's anymore.

I just like to go balls-out these days. I've been doing this for a long time, and it's hard for me to go mediocre... and If I spent $500 on a six-string and ended up loving it, I'd be bummed that the $500 could have went towards something better.

I'm not dying to sell the Modulus... I actually played it for a few hours last night and it sounds REAL good. I just thought I'd throw it out there and see what happens, and if it sells for what I know it's worth, then I'll go on and try something new and different.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 2:31 pm 

I have flushed so much money down the crapper buying cheep basses only to turn them and be pissed because I knew better. Look at my avatar... Roscoe 6'r Agie pre w/barts. Do not go cheep. If you are like me spend the money on what you want and in the long run you will save money and your investment will be more sound. If I ever think of buying an Ibanez again please sombody slap me in the back of the head with a gig bag!!!

The Roscoe is not for sale (well I better be carefull what I say) at least not now or any time soon but if you thinking about one I thought I would put a little high test in your tank. It plays better than it looks and it sounds better than it plays.......

Attachments:
IMG_1222.jpg
IMG_1222.jpg [ 241.77 KiB | Viewed 15702 times ]

Last edited by thumbslam on November 2nd, 2009, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 3:29 pm 

Hey Addison, did you see the Roscoe SKB3006 on Arni's site? The guy is only asking 1200 Euro and it's only 4 months old. Seems like a pretty good deal.

http://www.leftybass.com/e_start.htm

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 3:40 pm 

Yeah, I asked him about it... like 6 months ago. :roll:

This is the second time he's had it listed on Arni's site, so I'm not sure why he's saying it's only 4 months old.

I inquired about it originally asking for current pics and why he's selling it and he never got back to me... I inquired about it this second time asking if he was interested in trades and he got back to me saying "no"... I then sent another message asking him why he's selling it and if he has any more pics, and he never replied back to me.

So... I'll be honest.

I don't know anything specific and it's probably pretty lame to speculate without knowing the guy or ever having played the bass, but something smells "fishy" about that bass.

Maybe it's a combination of the fact that he's selling it for such a good price and he never returns my emails when I start asking for details... or maybe it's because it's the second time it has been listed and still hasn't sold... but I just have a bad feeling about it now and can't shake it.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 3:45 pm 

I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and just sent him another email... we'll see if he gets back to me and answers all of my questions.

:ugeek:

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 5:46 pm 

Yea, those pics he sent me last year were from the Bunnybass site where it was originally listed. I doubt its in excellent condition unless it never gets played. Its a nice one.. You can upgrade them and make them even better. Put an Aguilar OBP-3 in it. I did that to my LG3006 and it killed. Um, thumbslam owns it now and its his favorite bass. That was one of my fav's and I lost my ass on that sell but it went to a good dude.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2009, 8:24 pm 

Ok, I got together some sound samples... I literally downloaded Audacity just so I could do this... I've never used it before so bare with me. :eek:

This is running straight from the bass, into my Tascam CD-BT1 completely dry, and then into the line-in on my sound card. I'm not using any compression or effects or EQ of any kind... the only reason why I'm using the Tascam thingy is as a preamp and to provide the drum loop.

And, in case you're curious... the drum loop is from the beginning of "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves... Don't ask. :D

Anyway... here are the samples... click to listen or right-click to download:

Both Pickups - EQ Flat

Slap & Pop - EQ Flat

Bridge Pickup Only - EQ Flat

Neck Pickup Only - EQ Flat

Also, I should warn you that the strings don't quite have that ZING they had when they're new, so please keep that in mind.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 6:04 am 

I have to agree that if you can find a Roscoe 6, jump on it. I have an SKB3006 and it's more bass than I can handle. I rarely play it just because I'm not used to it, but I can't stand the thought of selling it!
GuitarCenter.com now sells used instruments- there's a used Modulus Q6 in Jacksonville for $2k asking. See pic below.
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

Attachments:
Used Modulus Q6.jpg
Used Modulus Q6.jpg [ 152.5 KiB | Viewed 15686 times ]
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 8:04 am 

leftybassatl wrote:
GuitarCenter.com now sells used instruments- there's a used Modulus Q6 in Jacksonville for $2k asking. See pic below.

i found that about a week ago and it was really tempting for a little bit... as a matter of fact, I was about to post it in the SoPaws Spotted section of the site within the next day or two.

That bass looks ok in the picture, but it's pretty worked over... it's a '99 according to the serial number, so it's been around. And also, you might notice that there's a custom modification with the knobs. It looks like the former owner added a switch of some kind where the volume knob is supposed to be, and then a new hole was drilled closer to the strings for the volume knob. :?

There's some pretty heavy wear on the back of the bass, and there's a lot of goop around the pickups and on the frets... it would take some work.

I sent them an email and offered them $1500... they said yes without hesitation, which leads me to believe that it's been sitting around for a long time.

If it would have had the carbon fingerboard, I probably would have bought it... and then I would have completely dissasembled it, cleaned it, sent the body off to have the extra hole filled and painted a solid color (that figured top looks pretty lame), and returned the electronics back to their factory specs.

I have some better pics they sent me if anyone wants to see them.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 2:54 pm 

im not intrested in the 6 stringer myself but i live in jacksonville and if i have some spare time this week im gonna head over to the gc and give it a test drive, if anyone is intrested in buying it ill let you guys know how it plays

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 3:24 pm 

frankenjazz wrote:
im not intrested in the 6 stringer myself but i live in jacksonville and if i have some spare time this week im gonna head over to the gc and give it a test drive, if anyone is intrested in buying it ill let you guys know how it plays

I'd be very interested in that... if you could take some better pics to, that'd be sweet.

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 7:58 am 

FYI... this is probably going up on the evilBay pretty soon...

Listen to the sound clips and get a great deal on VERY nice bass!!!