LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:26 am

Post subject: Re: Fender Japan (Ishibashi Web Shop) Left handed Basses
PostPosted: January 17th, 2009, 2:52 am 

If you're really looking for a Mustang Bass though, you could also keep your eyes open for a vintage one. Some lefthanded '70's Mustang Basses are very affordable. Last summer there was a beautiful dark green metallic Mustang Bass on eBay.co.uk with light green competition stripe, it looked absolutely amazing. I was already after a Wal Mk.I then so I couldn't afford it at 800 GBP.

And what's worse, in the end the deal for the Wal busted as well :x . I had transferred my payment, the seller had it packed and had even been at the post office with the package, but in the end decided he no longer needed to sell it... He was selling because his girlfriend had to emigrate for her new job and he was traveling abroad with her. But they broke up, so he no longer had to move abroad. Boy, was I enraged! I understood his reasons though, and he had owned that Wal from new, he ordered it in '83, so he had a real strong bond with that instrument...

PostPosted: January 17th, 2009, 5:10 am 

If you're really looking for a Mustang Bass though, you could also keep your eyes open for a vintage one. Some lefthanded '70's Mustang Basses are very affordable. Last summer there was a beautiful dark green metallic Mustang Bass on eBay.co.uk with light green competition stripe, it looked absolutely amazing. I was already after a Wal Mk.I then so I couldn't afford it at 800 GBP.

No.

In my dreams i own a Fender Jazz from the 70s. I go crazy for these block inlays. :roll:

Alex

PostPosted: January 17th, 2009, 5:14 am 

Jeroen wrote:

No.

In my dreams i own a Fender Jazz from the 70s. I go crazy for these block inlays. :roll:

Alex

PostPosted: January 17th, 2009, 9:50 am 

knacker wrote:

Alex

Same here 8-)
I just returned home from visiting a guy who has three MIJ '75 Jazz reissues, two identical '96 maple board models and one more recent limited edition in old candy apple red with matching headstock, rosewood board and an alder body instead of ash. All of them were righthanded, but I paid him a visit just to check them out and to be able to try one before I actually order one from Guitarshogun.com (not right now though, a week ago 125000 Yen was 921 euros but right now it's 980 euros...).

All three of them were very solidly built, looked great and felt great, but there were some differences. The OCR one with the rosewood board had a thicker neck and was also a fair bit heavier in weight than the other two. The seemingly identical '96 ones also had a huge difference in weight between them, they were almost 0,5 kg apart! If I decide to order one, I hope I can choose one that's around 4 kgs, or 4,5 kgs at max.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2009, 7:21 am 

Jeroen wrote:
If I decide to order one, I hope I can choose one that's around 4 kgs, or 4,5 kgs at max.

There'll be no order for a new one placed for a while :mrgreen:
Here's why: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0333894807

For a very good price too, I recon. If I'd get a new one from Japan right now, it would cost me at least double that. I can't wait for it to arrive! I love a black 3-ply on black in combination with a maple board. I'll probably add a pickup cover for class, I've had a Precision with covers and they never bothered my playing.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2009, 10:09 am 

BTW, I read on another forum that Ishibashi is selling again to the US.

Nice bass BTW. Are those block bindings on rosewood?

PostPosted: March 14th, 2009, 1:20 pm 

Thanks!

Nope, that's a maple fingerboard. But it does indeed have blocks and bindings! :)