LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:31 am

Post subject: Dean Exotica Quilt Ash
PostPosted: March 30th, 2012, 7:30 am 

So, I toured the Dean plant in Tampa yesterday and left with a lefty Exotica Quilt Ash electric acoustic.
This is my first electric acoustic, and my first Dean. To be honest I never envisioned myself ever purchasing
a Dean, but I'm glad I did.

The facility is huge. As you know the vast majority of the instruments are made overseas, the Exotica notwithstanding.
The American series shop is impressive as they really do hand build those instruments, if you include using a cnc
machine part of hand-made. They were working on a sweet John Entwistle bass, in righty, of course.

Anyway, I love this bass. I think it may be my daily player. The fit and finish is impeccable for an under $500 guitar
made in China. The top is gorgeous. The finish has no flaws that I can detect. Even the binding job is top notch.
The celluloid binding that wraps around the body also lines the neck, and I will say that those that really need to see
those side position dots may find themselves lost as they blend in a bit with the binding. The neck is very comfortable
and quite fast. I was rocking out to the Violent Femmes, Elvis Costello, and the like this morning and the bass pretty much
stayed in tune, especially after the first ten minutes, even in the upper register. I play my basses HARD, and I won't play
this one any easier. I'm that guy that breaks E strings.

The Exotica comes with Aphex Big Bottom circuitry and three band EQ and a built-in tuner. I was able to get a big, resonant
sound by bringing the bass all the way up, the mid range to about 2, and the treble all the way off.

The bass is a great value for the price. This is a link to the Dean website: http://www.deanguitars.com/eqabagnl.php

Any questions feel free to ask. I have no affiliation with Dean.

pete

Post subject: Re: Dean Exotica Quilt Ash
PostPosted: March 30th, 2012, 9:43 am 

looks like a sweet bass.

I'm not at all familiar with Quilted Ash. In fact, I had no idea it even existed. Is their any reason structurally or tonally why this particular type of Ash is not more commonly used?

PostPosted: March 30th, 2012, 3:06 pm 

If your bass looks anywhere near the one on the website, it must be a beauty! That's an unusual looking piece of wood... it looks like you can put your fingers two inches into the grain!

Took me a little searching, but here's one for sale online at The Music Farm for $449....

http://www.themusicfarm.com/p-15061-dea ... gloss.aspx

As good-looking as the Micheal Kelly bass I once owned, and probably built much better too. Although the Kelly looked nice and sounded fine, the neck was more flexible than I would have liked. How does the neck on the Dean feel to you scream? And are you going to stay with the stock strings, or change them?

PostPosted: March 31st, 2012, 8:40 am 

The neck is comfortable. I normally go for a Jazz neck, but this has a more rounded C profile. I've been preferring my Moses neck lately so I don't feel a difference. Not sure what the strings are but I'll keep them for now.

I found one for pretty cheap here ($320);

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0285771975

Free shipping and here in Tampa Bay.

pete