LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 12:16 am

Post subject: Kala U-Bass
PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 7:38 pm 

Well it's here:

First off, let me give the nutshell review- I love this thing and I'm glad I have it. Sounds and plays great.

Of course the tiny scale of this thing will take some getting used to.

However- There were serious setup issues with this thing at first. Out of the box it frankly was utterly fucking unplayable for a couple reasons.

First, the action was stratospherically high. Nevertheless, I tuned it up and began to play around. I began to notice that as I reached higher frets (especially on the G string), things began to get horribly out of tune. Not good.
I figured it may be a symptom of the high action, but I checked out some closeups of the bridge assembly in pictures online and guess what- my saddles on my lefty bass are installed for righty intonation! I was thoroughly annoyed, but I knew I could reverse the saddles, so whatever. The saddles are described as "individual", but in fact they are molded together in one assembly, but attached in the way that plastic model car parts are attached to their plastic runners. So it was easy to pull them apart without harming anything so I could install them correctly, which I did successfully.

Next came the problem of the high action. This was easily solved as well. There was a shim underneath the saddle assembly. I reduced the thickness of it by half, strung this thing back up and now it plays beautifully. I'd describe the action on mine as slightly better than your average ABG action.

I love the sound of this bass. It definitely has an upright tone and the strings pick up finger attack very well, which I like the sound of. It's definitely a nice little acoustic instrument, which is cool because no ABG I have ever played truly sounds acoustic.
The strings are rubbery feeling but very playable. They will take some stretching to get where they stay in tune. The bass rests comfortably in the lap and does not feel as tiny as I expected. That was a pleasant surprise.

Fit and finish- Overall this thing is well made. Frets were in good shape, no rough edges. Tuners are smooth and solid gotoh style. The bass has a crude satin finish. I hate satin anything. Oh well. I glossed the top up just a hair with some Meguiar's Scratch X. A little more tolerable now. On the back there is a small access hatch for the bridge assembly for changing strings and whatnot. It's held in place magnetically. Hm.

So overall, I really love this thing. I hope that if any of you guys get one, you won't have the lack of a setup that I had on mine. As pissed as I was at first about the reversed saddles, I can't lie, I enjoyed tinkering with this thing even though I know I shouldn't have had to as much as i did, even at this price point.

The bass comes with a gig bag. There aren't any hard cases available from Kala. But this gig bag seems as good as any standard bass guitar bag with decent padding.
And of course there's a nice pocket on the front of the Uke bag to stash your pakalolo :D

I hope I covered it all. Lemme know if I can answer anymore questions. As I've mentioned in other threads, I suck at being a reviewer so I'm sure I left something out.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

Post subject: Re: Kala U-Bass
PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 10:25 pm 

Awesome news! Congrats. Where'd you end up ordering yours?

Not surprising about the righty saddles. I've seen this more than once, and it seems many companies don't take minute details into account when creating lefties. My '80 MM Stingray had righty saddles installed, which caused the strings to cross the saddles at an angle since the saddles no longer aligned with the string guide holes of the back of the bridge. I simply unthreaded the saddles and moved them - problem solved. I'd let Kala know they screwed this up, however.

I'm curious if the strings need to be powdered and how they compare with an Ashbory's, since I'm familiar with those. Rubber strings get pretty sticky quickly.

Would love to hear some samples. I'm almost tempted to get a fretted one and yank the frets out myself, since Kala isn't planning a lefty anytime soon. The fretless ones I've heard on You Tube sound very convincing and woody, IMO.

I wonder if a hard violin or viola case would work. How big is this thing overall?

I second your comment regarding satin. :)

PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 10:38 pm 

Strings feel fine, not sticky to me. I'm sure this would be different in a humid outdoor scenario. Can't comment on how they compare to Ashbory. I know nothing about that.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 6:09 am 

how much did the mini beast cost? I might try to save up for one. Or you could send me yours when you get bored :P

PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 7:38 am 

I got the spruce top model which cost $399. The mahogany top model is $499

PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 4:11 pm 

Hey guys, I sent this letter to Mike at Kala to address the righty bridge and setup issues I had:

Hi, I just wanted to let you know of an issue with my new UBass. First off, I absolutely love it and I'm glad to have it. I purchased one of the new left handed models and received it yesterday (Nov. 16).
Out of the box it was unplayable.
I tuned it up and while playing I began to notice the intonation was horribly out as I went up the fingerboard. After looking it over I realized the bridge saddle assembly was set up right handed.
Also, the action was impossibly high. Luckily I know how to set up my instruments so I was able to correct these issues fairly easily. I reversed the saddles and reduced the thickness of the shim in the bridge by more than half. Now it plays perfectly and stays in tune fine. I love it.
I do realize that an instrument at this price point will have minor yet correctable issues at first, but I thought the fact that it was set up right handed was unacceptable in that someone who doesn't know how to tweak their own instruments would have to pay a luthier to fix it, or likely return the instrument altogether.

I like my bass, but I think this is an issue that needs your attention. Thank you for your time!

Matt Ross

I think this is ok, don't you?

PostPosted: November 17th, 2010, 10:37 pm 

Darn tootin' it is.

I wonder if he'll reply that you voided you're warranty by tweaking the shim and the saddles? ROTFL

Gawd, I'm in a sarcastic mood tonite ....

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 8:47 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:

Only tonite? ;)

Matt, did you get yours from Jerry?

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 9:28 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Matt, did you get yours from Jerry?

I ordered mine from Corner Music in Nashville, who is a Kala dealer.

Last edited by Matt R. on November 18th, 2010, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 5:59 pm 

Here's the reply I got from Kala:

Good morning, Matt!

First off, thank you for writing to us and for purchasing a left handed Ubass 2. We are very excited about our first left handed Ubass model and it has been a long time coming. I will start with a few of the concerns you have and how we have addressed them. As far as the saddle goes, you are correct about the saddle and its compensation being for right handed. In order to have our supplier make a system compensated for left handed only, it would have set back the release date of the left handed Ubass many, many, many months ( or more). This could have also pushed the cost of the left handed Ubass up considerably. Your bass was not set up for a handed player. If you notice, from the ground up the left handed Ubass is built as such. The side dot markers as well as the orientation of the tuners are all intended for the left handed player.

In regards to the intonation and action, these areas are of particular challenge to the Ubass. In order to keep the scale length to what it is, intonation will be somewhat ‘off.’ Most bassists are used to hearing their lowest of low notes resonate with steel strings and a scale length of 34-35 inches. The Ubass scale length is 14 inches shorter at 20 inches. That’s 5 ½” shorter than an average electric guitar. Thus, the Ubass requires the player to be sensitive to his or her touch, as pressing too hard will literally squeeze and push the notes drastically out of tune. It’s similar to if you bend a string on a detuned guitar or bass. One micro bend will change the pitch several whole steps. This is especially true of the D and G strings as they are much thinner than the E and A strings. Please rest assured that your bass was set up with the utmost care and attention. It was set up by a tech who has either built, repaired, or set up basses and guitars for such players as Flea, Tony Levin, Dave LaRue, Tony Kanal, Slash, Paul McCartney, Steve Lukather, Phil Chen, Jason Newsted, David Lindley, Mark Hoppus, Albert Lee, Keith Richards, Hutch Hutchinson……to name just a few.

Please be advised that the height on the Ubass should be no lower than 5mm at the 12th fret. The low E string is 4mm wide so it must have at least one millimeter of excursion space to resonate properly. Any lower, and the sound will be choked and “buzzy." In fact, a few of our endorsees have their personal instruments set up to 7mm at the 12th fret to better handle their touch and match the strong tone they seek on sessions and performances. So, if the shims were installed under the saddle, it’s likely that they were there for a purpose and should be reinstalled.

We are working hard to assure that our left handed customers are served well in a timely way. I hope that you continue to enjoy your bass and just know that you own one the first left handed Ubasses…..ever. If vintage guitar history gives us any indication, that saddle may push the value of your bass WAY up in the future.

Have a great day, Matt!
Sincerely,

Jason Villa
Product Technician

And my reply to the above email was this:

I appreciate the response. I still feel that if the saddles being installed compensated for a lefty delays the release of lefty ubasses, then the basses should be released when they are ready. I didn't measure the string height, but the lowered action and shim greatly improved playability in my case, and that along with properly installing the saddles made for excellent intonation, no choking and no buzzing. Again, I love this thing and I'll definitely recommend but the saddle issue just isn't acceptable in the opinion of a pro/working player such as myself. I understand where you're coming from as far as cost and all that goes, but a lot of people will have to blow money for a tech to set the bridge up anyway if they receive it oriented the way mine was. Thanks again!
Matt R.

Consequently, I did measure the string height at the 12th fret. I have it set at 3.5mm. No choking, buzzing or other issues and the intonation is great. :|

This guy was friendly and prompt and all that, but obviously (in my estimation anyway) towing the company line. So while I really like the bass, I guess at the end of the day if this issue is worth it, pull the trigger. But it doesn't seem that it will be corrected at the factory judging by the response I got.

Good luck fellas. If I can be of any help please ask.

And a side note-

I don't give a flying fuck about the guitars/basses played by Flea, Tony Levin, Dave LaRue, Tony Kanal, Slash, Paul McCartney, Steve Lukather, Phil Chen, Jason Newsted, David Lindley, Mark Hoppus, Albert Lee, Keith Richards, Hutch Hutchinson.

I found the name dropping a bit annoying and furthermore, if it was Paul McCartney receiving his lefty UBass, I'll bet the rest of my bass arsenal that his saddles would be correctly installed. :x

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 6:03 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Darn tootin' it is.

I wonder if he'll reply that you voided you're warranty by tweaking the shim and the saddles? ROTFL

It would be ironic that the warranty becomes void due to improvements. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 6:07 pm 

Anyhow, this is all I have on this bass for now. I really do like how it plays and sounds and I can't wait to use it live. :ugeek:

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 6:38 pm 

Well now you've done it, Matt. His first left handed customer and you go rustling his feathers. I guess you now have the ONLY lefty Kala U-Bass instead of "one of the first". ;)

Yeah, the name dropping is definitely off putting. It's as if he's saying you don't know what you're talking about because a list of famous pros doesn't question their products.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 6:43 pm 

I wonder If I really am the first lefty so far? I was thinking about this today.

So what do you all think about getting one after reading my experience? Is it worth the tweaking? I enjoy tinkering so I say yes, even though I was thoroughly annoyed and know that a righty bridge on a lefty bass is completely unacceptable.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 4:53 am 

Sounds like we're better off getting the right-hander you bought, and modifying it. Of course, being able to modify helps, but I think most of us can because we've had to tweak our own basses, or righties, etc.

I think what you ought to do is make a video, not only for us, but for Kala to see how your U-bass plays with your set-up. I for one would like to hear your new bass. And let the "Name" players be damned! :twisted:

PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 8:09 am 

Well luckily the design of the instrument allows for relatively simple modifications and the ability to adjust the saddles. Can't do that with an Ashbory. So based on your tips, I'd still consider buying one. I still question why a bass that was, "set up with the utmost care and attention. It was set up by a tech who has either built, repaired, or set up basses and guitars for such players as Flea, Tony Levin, Dave LaRue, Tony Kanal, Slash, Paul McCartney, Steve Lukather, Phil Chen, Jason Newsted, David Lindley, Mark Hoppus, Albert Lee, Keith Richards, Hutch Hutchinson……to name just a few." didn't bother flipping the saddles for a lefty!

The whole comment about the intonation being off if you press down too hard is true, but that applies to any fretted instrument. You still have to have the instrument in tune WITH ITSELF. :roll: All the more reason I'm leaning towards a fretless.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 8:17 am 

Guys, don't try the mod thing on a righty. I first put my hands on one (righty of course) in Kentucky while we were on tour and the one thing you need to keep in mind is that the holes where the strings come up through the body are significantly different in size, so for example the hole on the E side will be way too big for the G to be anchored.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 8:19 am 

pjmuck wrote:
The whole comment about the intonation being off if you press down too hard is true, but that applies to any fretted instrument. You still have to have the instrument in tune WITH ITSELF. :roll: All the more reason I'm leaning towards a fretless.

Exactly. But the intonation on mine is really good. A light touch does it.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 5:06 pm 

Matt R. wrote:
Guys, don't try the mod thing on a righty. I first put my hands on one (righty of course) in Kentucky while we were on tour and the one thing you need to keep in mind is that the holes where the strings come up through the body are significantly different in size, so for example the hole on the E side will be way too big for the G to be anchored.

Thanks for clarifying that!

PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 5:07 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
Matt R. wrote:

Thanks for clarifying that!

No problem.