LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:11 pm

Post subject: Review of new lefty G&L Tribute L2000
PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 6:56 am 

On a previous thread I discussed my desire for an upgrade. I've been playing bass for about 5 years and have outgrown my modified Ibanez bass. I decided on a G&L Tribute L2000 and the bass just arrived 2 days ago from Adirondack guitars (http://adirondackguitar.com/). Here are my first impressions.

Price paid: $559 for brand new bass with free shipping. By far the cheapest I could find; everyone else was easily $100 more. I was slightly dissatisfied with the email communications I had with them - they never seemed to answer my questions completely. My last online guitar purchase from Guitar Adoptions (http://www.guitaradoptions.com/) was a much better experience.

Bass was packed extremely well. It shipped directly from G&L in California. The bass was wrapped in styrofoam, then placed in the gig bag, then the bag was surrounded in packing peanuts in a nice box. Gig bag is very nice - lots of padding and lots of storage for various accessories and accoutrements.

First impression is that this bass is built like a tank. I don't find it heavier than my Ibanez, but this thing is rock-solid. I bought the blonde bass with a clear finish. The pictures on the web don't do this bass justice .... the wood grains show nicely and the chrome hardware contrasts well.

Action is a little high for me, but I can adjust that. Also, bass comes with round wound strings and I'm a dedicated jazz flat guy. That will change too after I play around a bit more. There are 3 switches (bridge pup/both pups/neck pup, series/parallel, passive/active/active with treble boost) and 3 pots (volume, treble, bass). The sounds that can come from this bass are many and varied. For example, I can get a nice P-bass punch by going to active, series and neck pickup. I'm leaning towards gigging with active/both pups/parallel, but I have a feeling that it may be a while before I find 'my' sound.

First impression is that I'm very glad I picked this bass. It fits me well and I love how many sounds can come from this instrument. If anyone else owns one, I'd love to hear what your favorite setting is on this.

Last edited by kennyd on May 13th, 2010, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Review of new lefty G&L Tribute L2000
PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Good stuff, glad you're pleased with the bass. Keep us updated once you've had a chance to play it a while and find your sound from it.