LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:22 am

Post subject: Fender MIJ JB75-US/LH ('75 Jazz Bass reissue)
PostPosted: February 13th, 2010, 4:57 pm 

A while ago I promised Andrew I'd write a review of my Japanese Fender '75 Jazz Bass reissue, but to date I still owe it to him. So here goes:

Specs, fit and finish
In proper 1975 fashion, this Japanese version has a 3-bolt neck joint with a nice, tight neck pocket and a (heavy) ash body. I cannot tell how many pieces, the glue joints are invisible through the black finish. The neck is a gloss-finished all-maple (one piece, no separate fingerboard, and a walnut skunkstripe) with white plastic bindings and white pearloid block inlays and the period-correct bullet-trussrod. The inlays are very nicely done, there's almost no filler used to cover up gaps.
The electronics consist of Fender USA 70's Jazz Bass singlecoils that do their job very well, I've never felt the need to replace them. Unlike the American and Mexican '75 reissues, the bridge pickup is not in the 70's position. Which is odd, because Fender Japan also makes the almost identical Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller Jazz Bass which do have the proper 70's pickup placement. The pots could have been better, their sweep isn't very subtle.
The bridge is of the standard bent steel plate type, and the tuners look historically correct but are unbranded. They do a fine job, are accurate and stabile. I changed the tuner of the E-string for a Hipshot BT-2 D-tuner, and the other tuners for the Hipshot HB-2. Not because I thought they needed to be changed, but I could get them cheap off the same eBay-seller I got the BT-2 from with combined shipping. The bridge had an annoying rattle in one of the saddles I couldn't get rid of, so I changed it for a Leo Quan BadAss II.

The JB75-US is offered in black, vintage white, old candy apple red, old lake placid blue, 3-tone sunburst and off-white blonde, with both a maple and rosewood fingerboard. The pickguard color varies with the color of the body (and in some finishes also with the fingerboard wood).

I got mine secondhand, the serial number starts with an R which dates it to 2004-2005. I suspect the previous owner changed the stock white 3-ply pickguard for a black 3-ply. It also had the screwholes for the bridge and pickup cover predrilled, so the previous owner has probably had those on it. The covers don't come stock on the standard JB75-US, only on the JB75-US/FC (alder body, rosewood fingerboard, matching headstock). I got a new pickup cover for the bass because I think it looks very classy, and it doesn't bother my playing.

Sounds
Due to the 60's bridge pickup placing, this bass isn't as punchy and bright as its 1975 example. With the original bridge, it even sounded fairly warm. Slightly turning back the volume of the neck pickup can get you pretty close though. Changing the bridge to a BadAss II did a lot for the tone. The sustain increased greatly, the lows are tighter and beefier and overall the tone has brightened up a lot. I highly recommend this upgrade!
Again, the stock pots could have been better. Their sweep is somewhat abrupt, especially on the volume pots. They act a bit as on/off-switches. Therefore, to obtain greater versatility and accuracy, I'd recommend changing them out for better pots. Strangely enough the tone pot does a fine job though.

Conclusion
These basses can be had new for about $1300 excluding shipping (and import duties and VAT) from Japan. Personally I would never pay that kind of money for this bass, you can get a new American Standard Jazz Bass for a similar price. Still, this is a very well-constructed and well-finished bass that plays and sounds great. It benefits greatly from some subtle upgrades (bridge, pots) but is well worth that. It's not 100% historically accurate (bridge pickup placing) so if you're really after that 70's tone and vibe this may not fully get you there. The Jaguar Bass might be a worthy alternative, this is available lefthanded too and does have the 70's bridge pickup placing.
I got my JB75-US secondhand for about $700 on eBay and to me it was well worth the money. It has quickly become my favourite bass and it suits any style of music I like to play.

Some pics from the eBay auction of the bass in the state I got it in (click for larger version):

Image Image Image

Some pics of the bass in its current state:

Image Image Image Image

If anyone has any additional questions about the bass that I haven't covered in the above, please feel free to ask anything you want and I'll be happy to answer :).
I'm also hoping for forum member Nilezd to chime in and share his opinions, as he has one too (with the stock bridge and tuners still in place).

Post subject: Re: Fender MIJ JB75-US/LH ('75 Jazz Bass reissue)
PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 1:47 am 

nice review Jeroen!

I'll be getting the review done after carnaval, and I'll check how many pieces the body consists of, as I own a 3TS ;)

PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 7:40 am 

By the way, the bass can be seen and heard live in the Sights and sounds-section of this site:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1378

Playing through an EBS MicroBass II with the EQ flat, straight into the board, so this is as clean and uncoloured as can be :)

PostPosted: February 16th, 2010, 4:47 am 

Jeroen, another well-written bass review. If I didn't know better, I would think that English is your first language! You have the ability to "think in English", and your thoughts and sentence structure proves it. Living here in Hawaii, I've met a great number of people from around the world, and although they speak English well, there is always an underlying thought process that tells me they think first in their native language, then speak in English. Most times you don't notice it, but occasionally there will be a small phrase that is reversed. I see none of that in your writing and thoughts. I applaud you for your mastery of the English language! :)

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 6:21 am 

After a brief flirt with active electronics, my Jazz is now back to passive again!
I briefly had an Audere JZ3D in it, in itself a very nice preamp with a good and very functional EQ and a very cool feature I haven't seen anywhere else: the ability to switch between different pickup impedances. Very useful, it provides a huge range of sounds, but I never really used it... The only controls I ever used were volume, pickup pan, the passive tonepot and the bass pot (to slightly boost the lows ocassionally). So the Audere was overkill for me really and I actually found myself not playing this bass anymore!

I now have passive electronics in there again, and a switchable 6 dB bass boost, and I couldn't be happier with my Jazz :). I still have the stock pickups in it, all the other electronics were replaced and the bass benefits a lot from the upgrade. This is a definite keeper 8-)

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 7:44 am 

I love my 75 RI as well. Good review an I believe changing back to passive was a good move. Glad you're digging yours. It's a beauty.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 11:52 am 

What a great looking bass! +1 on the return to passive electronics.