LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:24 am

Post subject: Basswood
PostPosted: April 18th, 2009, 1:54 pm 

How does this wood stack up durability-wise? I hear so many conflicting things about it. All I know is that it's cheap and soft. Is it ok tonewise? Do the screw holes (bridge especially I guess) strip easily because it's a softer wood? I know a lot has been said about this wood, but I can't come to a real conclusion about it. Thanks :geek:

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

Post subject: Re: Basswood
PostPosted: April 18th, 2009, 2:32 pm 

my personal thoughts are that it's a great wood when you use it properly

I like it for bodies where your goal is something on the lighter side that you're going to finish with an opaque color. I would also like to see a 'more flexible' type of finish used on it - so don't plan on poof canning a homemade body with auto acrylic lacquer unless you're cool with a cracked and chipped finish

if you don't plan to install/remove your bridge numerous times there should be no problems with the screws staying put so long as you don't drill a pilot hole that's too loose and/or torque on the screws beyond the needed snugness. FWIW I use a pilot hole in Maple that is ever so slightly larger than the screw shaft diameter, but in Basswood I'd probably use a pilot hole that's the same diameter or even slightly smaller depending on the screw size/length.

The main place I'd look to compensate for screws would be on the strap buttons ... I might use a threaded insert or even install a hardwood dowel in the locations where the strap buttons get installed. I'm using more of a long-term mindset with this statement, and thinking in line with what could possibly need to be repaired 10+ years down the road

Basswood holds a finish well, but is subject to some denting - so if you're an instrument abuser (or just clutzy) Alder might be a better choice for you

bottom line for me here in the Seattle area is that Basswood (Tilia americana) and Alder (Alnus rubra) are reasonably close in price, so I opt for the Alder since I can find it in similar weight stock if I select carefully and because it's more durable. I might have a different thought on this when I'm back in North Carolina and Alder is priced like other exotic imports. Another option I would consider would be a light weight piece of Yellow/Tulip Poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: Basswood
PostPosted: April 18th, 2009, 4:07 pm 

Thanks man, you are the first to answer the question sufficiently. 8-)

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.