LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:50 am

Post subject: Repairing and troubleshooting analog pedals
PostPosted: September 28th, 2023, 6:40 pm 

I have a pedal that doesn’t work properly, and I thought it might be fun to learn some stuff about electronics and try to fix it rather than just buy a new one.

Is this a skill that is practical to acquire with some homework and the right tools? Or are these circuits too complex to try to nail down what might be a single faulty capacitor or op-amp or what-have-you?

Certainly, I can buy a textbook on analog circuits and read through the whole thing, but I would prefer a more direct and targeted approach to troubleshooting.

Thanks in advance!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

Post subject: Re: Repairing and troubleshooting analog pedals
PostPosted: September 29th, 2023, 3:23 pm 

A majority of the time it is the common sense stuff, if your good knowing that it may hit the trashcan, take the back off, look at input and output jacks, look for fuses. I had a Roland JC-120 that had "No User Serviceable Parts" everywhere and when I opened it up there was a fuse soldered to the board, so I get it you need to know a soldering iron but outside of that it was just a fuse.

Craziest part is check youtube, sometime devices have common faults and people make videos. I know nothing about home heating but when my heater turned on then off real quick a youtube video for my specific model told me how to remove a sensor and how to clean it and it worked.

Post subject: Re: Repairing and troubleshooting analog pedals
PostPosted: September 30th, 2023, 10:49 pm 

bobjones2260 wrote:
A majority of the time it is the common sense stuff, if your good knowing that it may hit the trashcan, take the back off, look at input and output jacks, look for fuses. I had a Roland JC-120 that had "No User Serviceable Parts" everywhere and when I opened it up there was a fuse soldered to the board, so I get it you need to know a soldering iron but outside of that it was just a fuse.

Craziest part is check youtube, sometime devices have common faults and people make videos. I know nothing about home heating but when my heater turned on then off real quick a youtube video for my specific model told me how to remove a sensor and how to clean it and it worked.

What he said... if it ain't on youtube, it's trashcan time! :)