LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:39 am

Post subject: What do I do? No relief in the neck
PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 9:51 pm 

Hi Guys:

So, I have a bit of a dilemma, and want to explore my options. I took in my Fender American Deluxe Jazz into my local shop to get new strings and have it set up. I have had the bass for a little over a year now with only having the original set up done by the shop I bought it for. Figured it was time for a new one, and a new set of strings, as well as to put on a tort pickguard I got courtesy of Southpaw Guitars.

The shop calls me after they got the strings in to tell me that they cannot set up the bass because the neck has no relief, they claim it was perfectly flat. The truss rod is not moving in either direction. The shop told me that I should keep trying to turn the truss rod every few days in a clockwise, and then give it a few days to settle, in the hopes of getting a little relief. They also suggested that I return it to Fender because the neck is defective on its warranty.

The problem is that I don't have the receipt anymore. I have called the store I bought this from in the hope that they wil be able to find a copy of the receipt. That would be the best scenario here. My question to folks here is what do I do if I CANNOT find the receipt.

I want to know what you guys see as my options are here.

First, is what the shop saying right?
Second, if I cannot find the receipt, should I get the truss rod fixed, or should I get a new neck. If so, who should I get a new neck from, given that Warmoth will not make 22 fret necks for Deluxe.
How much am I looking at out of pocket for these options?

Should I sell it? If so, what can I reasonably get for the bass in this condition? Thanks for any help you all can provide.

As you can imagine, I am not happy about. :cry: I was hoping to use some money for getting an acoustic bass, but I have a feeling that is going to have to wait.

Post subject: Re: What do I do? No relief in the neck
PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 10:15 am 

If you bought it via paypal or a credit card they should be able to dig up a copy of the transaction.

If it's registered at Fender, you might get lucky and that would serve as a receipt for warranty work. Call them and ask.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 11:09 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
If you bought it via paypal or a credit card they should be able to dig up a copy of the transaction.

If it's registered at Fender, you might get lucky and that would serve as a receipt for warranty work. Call them and ask.

I was told they won't take credit card vuochers because it won't show that you bought the bass, just that you spent a certain amount of money at a music store. I have the folks at Milano's looking for it now.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 11:12 am 

The store you bought it from should have a record of your purchase.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 12:04 pm 

did you buy this from Milano's Music in Mesa AZ?

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 2:22 pm 

Yup. Got it from Milano's. Just got the receipt from them. It took over a week, I think I just got dropped through the cracks. Now, to take it to Fender. Hopefully, they will resolve this. Keeping my fingers crossed. All I want is a working bass.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 2:22 pm 

Yup. Got it from Milano's. Just got the receipt from them. It took over a week, I think I just got dropped through the cracks. Now, to take it to Fender. Hopefully, they will resolve this. Keeping my fingers crossed. All I want is a working bass.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 7:53 am 

Ok, so luckily this saga ended well. Took it to the local Fender Warranty authorized builder, Wooden Wizard.

Basically, seems like the first shop I took it too were....not fully competent in completing setups, to put it mildly. Luckily, the first shop just charged me for the strings, but did not charge me for the setup that they could not complete. The neck was fine, and turned with no problems once the neck was removed from the body. They did a full set up and it now plays beautifully. I had been playing the last four-five weeks with my Squire flatwound p-bass. My band mates at church, and even some folks in the congregation, immediately noticed the difference between that and my Jazz deluxe with some Hi Beams on it. That made me happy! :D