LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:03 pm

Post subject: Fix-it help!
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2008, 6:43 pm 

So I'm borrowing a bass from a friend and one of the strap posts have worked loose. It was a little loose when he brought it over and I practice sitting mostly. The fit has gotten looser, enough so that the post won't stay in anymore.

He said, just drill another hole in the horn, but I'm not comfortable making new holes in his bass, even it it is as old as he is:)

Some sites recommend toothpicks in the existing hole and then recrewing the posts, others suggest wood dowels. I have some wood filler. Will filler do the job? IE, is it strong enough and where can I find small enough dowels?

Help please?

Post subject: Re: Fix-it help!
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2008, 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'll move this to the Blueprinting and Bondo forum, but you should email Rodent (Rod) direct too. I know he's on the road at the moment, so it might take him a day to get back to you but he'll have a fix for you I'm sure.

DO NOT drill another hole!

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2008, 1:52 am 

I hear that.... not planning on another hole.... not my bass.... and even if it were..... there has to be a better way.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2008, 7:58 am 

sorry for coming in to this thread a little late - I did have opportunity to work this via PM, but I'll put together a new thread for this forum when I get a moment to do so

until then, I agree completely - don't drill a new hole. my recommended method utilizes a toothpick trimmed down to fit the length of the screw hole and a generous coating of wood glue (I prefer Titebond Original)

trim the toothpick so that it's just shy of the length of the hole, coat it generously with glue, insert it into the hole, wipe off any glue that didn't go into the hole, and then re-install the strap screw (with the button) while the glue is still wet. the screw will provide clamping pressure against the toothpick so that it adheres to the body, and also forms a light connection to the screw to reduce the potential for it to back out.

if a single toothpick doesn't fille the hole enough to hold the screw, split a second toothpick in half length wise and repeat the above procedure

all the best,

R