LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:46 pm

Post subject: I designed a "String Spacing Rule" and thought I'd share...
PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 12:54 pm 

Yo...

I'm getting a new Badass II bridge soon, and I was trying to figure out what kind of spacing I wanted.

So, I searched the interwebs for a string spacing rule or guide or diagram of some kind, and couldn't find anything. I found some for cutting a new nut... but nothing for bridges.

Anyway... I figured what the heck and decided to make my own using my squishy brain and some design-a-ma-jigs I have on my 'puter. :lol:

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!!!

It's a pdf, so you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it.

I designed it for 4 or 5 string bass (sorry 6'ers!) and it is to exact scale, including string guage... so, not only can you use it to help you file slots in a new Badass bridge, but you can use this thing to help you adjust your bridge, if it's adjustable. I used three different "practical" string spacings I could think of... there might be more, but these were the three I thought of that seemed like they would be useful.

* REMEMBER * You just have to change "Page Scaling" to NONE in the print options window before you hit OK to print in order for the document to print to scale. If you're unsure, I added an inch long line for you to use to compare with a ruler.

Anyway... enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions!

:mrgreen:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Post subject: Re: I designed a "String Spacing Rule" and thought I'd share...
PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 10:54 pm 

Wow! That's fancy! I usually put the strings on, make a mark where the strings is lying and start filing...

Post subject: Re: I designed a "String Spacing Rule" and thought I'd share...
PostPosted: September 9th, 2011, 8:20 am 

Yeah, I'm really anal. :lol:

I actually redid the spacing on my Fender CS '64 Jazz with the old style bent plate bridge with threaded saddles and my Mike Lull with a Hipshot adjustable bridge on it last night using the sheet I made and it worked great.

I was sort of close "eyeing" the spacing and using calipers and a ruler before, but... being able to fold the paper and lay it over top of the strings as they're resting on the saddles was a HUGE help to getting the spacing perfect... :ugeek:

I'm really glad I took the time to put this together... hopefully someone else here will get some use out of it.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4