LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:08 am

Post subject: HELP PLEASE ON P BASS PUP AND BRIDGE CHROME COVER PLACMENT.
PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 7:36 pm 

hi guys,im sure someone can help me out with these questions,first of all i have decided to BLING my 96 usa candy apple red pbass,i have already put on a beautiful black pearloid pick guard from wd on it,and i have just ordered the fender pick up and bridge chrome covers,my questions are,is there an EXACT place to put the screw holes on both the bridge and pup covers or is it more of a eye it up kind of deal,also should i drill the holes or just let the screws do the drilling? also i heard that fender pick guard screw are what are supposed to be used,cant believe they dont provide the screws with the covers,also i have the thumb rest coming,but i want it on the bass side-low e string side so i can actually use it if i want,is there a certain diagram on where to put these new mods im gonna do,thanks for reading! :)

Attachments:
1996 U.S.A PRECISION BASS.jpg
1996 U.S.A PRECISION BASS.jpg [ 225.93 KiB | Viewed 17116 times ]
 Post subject: Re: HELP PLEASE ON P BASS PUP AND BRIDGE CHROME COVER PLACMENT.
PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 9:10 pm 

Oh that's funny! We have exactly the same bass, same color (serial on mine is #N7326759). I ordered a Mint pickguard from Warmoth (great quality and only $30) and also bought the bridge cover and the thumbrest that I plan to install in the traditional way just for looks. The Fender thumbrest comes with a pattern sheet that will give you the exact position (I got it today).
I was wondering the same thing about the bridge cover. I looked at some P-basses in the nearby music store and it looks like the holes are exactly lined-up on the middle of the bridge. .
I also replaced the pickups by the Fender 62' originals which I absolutely love. :D Much more gutsy, rich and powerful vintage tone. Perfect with the TI flats. I love this bass more than I have ever loved an instrument.
I have not installed my hardware yet - just the pickguard. I just laid the thumbrest and the cover onto the bass for the picture. I am quite satisfied with the mint guard. :D

PostPosted: April 13th, 2011, 4:08 am 

wow,that mint guard looks great,CLASSIC,LOVE IT!, i am undecided now on the position of the thumbrest, i also have a set of lakland jo flats lying around,this bass could be ther new home! the position on your bridge looks perfect, do you know about if the pickgaurd screws are the correct screws to be used, thanks so much for the input frenchy!,much appreciated.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2011, 5:28 pm 

Honestly I am not sure about the screws and I agree, it is stupid to sell the bridge cover without the screws.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2011, 9:23 pm 

I'll take some hole location measurements off my old P and post up a sketch. unfortunately as busy as my day-job workload is right now, it might be the weekend following this one before I'll have time to do this

all the best,

R

PostPosted: April 13th, 2011, 9:44 pm 

thanks you rodent,thank would be great!

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 7:25 pm 

If you are interested. I realized that the template for the thumb rest holes are to mount the thumb rest on top. Since I just want it for looks (I usually rest my thumb on the strings) I had to do some research. A nice guy on TB made a diagram of his 63' P bass

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/templates-installing-fender-thumbrest-300411/

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 4:02 am 

very cool,thanks so much frenchy,much appreciated! now i have to make up my mind on where its gonna go,vintage postion or 70's bass side position,i also did a search about the screws for mounting the pup and bridge covers,and it seems that pickguard screws are the way to go. again thanks so much for your help.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 2:43 pm 

OK,WTF! I AM PUTTING ON MY SET OF JO FLATS ON THE BASS RIGHT NOW,AND JUST NOTICED THERE IS ONLY THE STRING THRU BODY OPTION ON THE BRIDGE,NO HOLES FOR STRING THRU BRIDGE OPTION,I BOUGHT THIS BASS BRAND NEW IN 2001 AS A OLD STOCK LEFT OVER SO THE BRIDGE WAS NOT REPLACED!,IS THIS NORMAL? I KNOW YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO STRING FLATS THRU THE BODY,BUT IM GONNA!

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 2:12 pm 

The TI flats work perfectly through body but I agree, I noticed the same thing. Although I have the plate of my 2000 jazz deluxe that I could use if I wanted to. It allows the two stringing options and has 3 mounting holes.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 3:22 pm 

aw,so its not just my bass bridge,i thought fender quality control for sure! good to know though,yeah my jo flats seem to be doin fine,thanks for the response frenchy,much appeciated.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 4:04 pm 

That's funny! You thought that the guy supposed to make the holes with his little drill in hand fell asleep on the job forgetting to make the holes in your bridge. "darn it! those Fenders instruments are not made in Corona but made while drinking Corona""

Slightly off topic but trust me on this, the Original 62' pickups are the bomb on this bass. (only pain in the neck when you install them you have to de-solder/re-solder the brass plate it comes with to install them in lefty config - I had my tech guy do the installation) You don't need any kind of eq and it sounds fantastic. More lows, more grunty mids and a little less highs. Vintage heaven! I jammed with a drummer who had never played with me on Monday and I saw a huge smile on his face after I played three notes.

P.S I forgot to congratulate you on your duvet cover matching your pickguard. I hope you like mine too! :lol:

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 5:18 pm 

ha ,thats kinda the way i pictured it believe it or not,corona or whatever! i ended up getting the bass that was made by the drunk guy! and yes,ever since last week when you mentioned the 62 pups i was interested,and who could complain about 70 bucks! ive read nothing but good things about them all over the net,thanks again frenchy for your help and kindness. guess i will be buying the pups!

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 4:23 am 

ok,just ordered the 62 pups,when you say lefty configurationabout the brass plates,do you mean so that the controls will work left or to actually fit in the bass,not sure what you mean,and thanks again.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 7:21 am 

There is a shielding plate soldered under the pickups. It has the shape of the 2 split coils when there are installed. If you are lefty you have to flip the plate. You would not have this problem with a jazz pickup for exemple. You'll see right away what I am talking about. I had read the same thing in another forum. When I received the pickups I understood what it was. Initially my tech guy said, we don't have to use the shielding plate but he ended up flipping it and using it as he said that "it is part of the sound"

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 2:19 pm 

AW,GOTCHA! ILL HAVE IT DONE BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING THEN,THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP FRENCHY! MUCH APPRECIATED.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 4:46 pm 

THANKS FRENCHY FOR THE ADVICE ON THE 62 PUPS,THEY ARE A DEFINITE IMPROVMENT,ITS ALL DONE NOW!
Attachment:
3214db755b88eeae1303860664.jpg
3214db755b88eeae1303860664.jpg [ 150.24 KiB | Viewed 16843 times ]

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 6:33 pm 

It looks great with the covers and I am glad you like the pickups! :)

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 6:41 pm 

Maybe it is the picture but judging by the color of your neck (on the light color side) I recommend using some Gerlitz Guitar Honey (Fingerboard Treatment). The wood won't be so dry and the fingerboard will look healthier and slightly darker. The fingerboard on mine looked like yours too when I got the bass. I use this product on all my rosewood necks about once a year. It also gives a classier look to your instruments. Look at the picture of my bass, you can see the difference (I swear I am not endorse by any gear company, I am just a tone freak).

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 8:08 pm 

yes,the fingerboard is dry lookin,its been that way since the day i bought it back in 2001,its also a little poreous,or holey,i will try the product you recommend!again thanks for all the help!