LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:33 am

Post subject: comparing j-bass pickups
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 10:14 am 

Hey guys

Just bought a MIM J-bass off of craigslist and looking to mod it up a bit. As far as pickups are concerned it's a bit overwhelming. Even from just a quick cursory search I found about half a dozen options. Do you guys know of any resource that compares and contrasts pickups? Either with audio samples or written description.

Post subject: Re: comparing j-bass pickups
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 11:15 am 

It really depends the type of sound you are looking for. Over the years I tried a dozen Jazz pickup sets. After spending over a $1,200 on pickups, here is my totally biased opinion:
Vintage sound with a better bass response: Lindy Frailin or Nordstrand (my personal favorites and many board member's favorites)
Vintage sound/rock/pick playing: Seymour Duncan Antiquity II or Fender Custom shop 60's (full of vintage grit and texture but may be kinda lean on the low-end)
Modern sound for crisp slap and deep bass: EMG active pickups (1980's sounding?)
R&B: Bartolini Jazz: powerful bass response but no bite in 2.5 hz therefore can't be used with a pick. great for fretless.

The ones I did not like: 62' Fender (not enough low end - under-wounded) and Seymour Quarter Pounders (nice on a fretless but not enough character and texture on a fretted - over-wounded).

I feel that many "noisless" pickups tend to sound lifeless as well.

Even if you find some sound clips, it won't give you a clear idea of of how the pickups will sound in your bass. I hope it'll help and save you money!
Good luck!

PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 11:31 am 

Frenchy, did you ever try any dualcoil J's?

Here's a dualcoil-J that they put in my Charvels from the factory:

PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 11:33 am 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Vintage sound with a better bass response: Lindy Frailin or Nordstrand (my personal favorites and many board member's favorites)

a big +1 on both of the above. i really can't speak to frenchy's other choices, haven't tried them out.

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
I feel that many "noisless" pickups tend to sound lifeless as well.

I have heard the Fralin noiseless jazz pups used with a paper in oil cap (I forget the cap value, but I want to say 47mf??), and they sounded stellar through a Great River mic-pre straight into a JBL PRX512M p.a. cab. And sounded just as fine throught my LMII/Bergantino rig.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 9:16 pm 

Quote:
Frenchy, did you ever try any dualcoil J's?

I tried a lot of pickups but not those. Looks interesting, how do you like it?

PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 9:24 pm 

Alan, my recommendation is don't spend $150 + on pickups if you are not convinced that the bass is worth it. It is a tough call. Sometimes you are better off selling your bass and getting something else that won't require some mods. And yes that the challenge for us lefties in particular since left-handed basses can't be found at every street corner. You can also look for used pickups. I recently sold 3 sets for $120 just to clean up my closed.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 4:42 am 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
I tried a lot of pickups but not those. Looks interesting, how do you like it?

not too different sounding than a nice j but very quiet on the singlecoil mode. We are still trying to figure out if they are the "OLD" Joe Bardens that Jackson bought a bunch of to toss in 2 basses for one run. The Fusion5, and the red one I have, the Eliminator5. Even the NEW JBE says they "could be" theirs but nobody knows. The basses were made in 1991 only. Probably some Korean or Jap company made them, but even Jackson is stupid and don't have an answer :(

You are 1/2 right in saying don't buy parts worth more than the bass..I agree, but anything you put in a shit-bass can be taken out. I threw an extra dualcoil j in a crap gio200 as well as a Jackson bridge and a 2band preamp, and it made the thing worth playing again and used it at practice for almost 4 months and at 6 gigs as my DGCF tuned bass, since my main player has a Kahler and you cant just drop-d in 5 seconds since all the strings go out when you detune one of them.. I just sold it this week, and took the pickup back out as well as the HM Jackson bridge I put in it so I can use it in another unit sometime :) ( I left the preamp in since I have a bunch left over still )

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 8:48 am 

Hi Alan, welcome to LeftyBassist!

Definitely buy your pups used it will save you quite a bit of cash. I have bought on ebay and especially Talkbass classifieds. The guys at TB flip gear like crazy, so if you keep an eye on the board and have $$ ready you can get just about anything you are looking for.

Cheers!

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 11:00 am 

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the feedback.

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
It is a tough call. Sometimes you are better off selling your bass and getting something else that won't require some mods.

Frenchy, you're totally right, and that was something I was thinking about. The reason I got this one is because I thought ultimately it would be cheaper to look for a deal on an MIM and upgrade, than to buy an MIA. I got a pretty good deal on the MIM, $250 and it came with the BAII bridge. I figured spending a couple hundred more on the pickups and a new nut and it'll be pretty respectable and still under $500.

Do you guys have any thought on the DiMarzio pickups. Specifically the DP123. I keep seeing those mentioned on the boards.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 11:39 am 

Alan

Yes I tried the Di Marzio's DP123 on my Am Deluxe JB, they fit in a Jazz Bass but are actually humbuckers. No personality, rather boring pickups in my opinion. They kill the lively tonal personality of a Jazz Bass. I changed them after a couple of weeks. I forgot them on my list of pickups I did not like.
For $20 more than the DiMarzio's you can get the Fender 60's custom shops that are actually not bad at all.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-60s-J-Bass-Pickup-Set-?sku=301640#used

If you already have a Badass on your bass it is already a big improvement in tone. I am not sure what year your bass was made but keep in mind that until 2004 (or 2003?) the MIM Fender Jazz had a Basswood body. Now they have an Alder body like the American STD. In my opinion it makes a world of a difference that pickups won't overcome. I can tell in a minute if it is alder or basswood but playing it unplugged. The alder has an unmistakenable focus and punchy midrange, the basswood has more of a hollow and bright sound. I owned two basses with a Basswood body, the MIJ 62' Jazz Bass and a 1999 MIM Jazz, I tried everything, pickups, bridges nothing did it, it never sounded like I wanted. After that I became an "anti-basswood" activist :lol: . As I said before I also like the Ash body MIM Fender Jazz limited edition made for Guitar Center/Musiciansfriend.

Last edited by Frenchy-Lefty on February 16th, 2011, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 11:49 am 

Alan,

I don't know if you can do that but, If I were you I would consider selling the MIM and buy Bhunt1 G&L with Nordstrand pickups for $500 (in the For Sale section). It probably sounds like a top notch Jazz Bass. It is a great opportunity.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 1:48 pm 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
I am not sure what year your bass was made but keep in mind that until 2004 (or 2003?) the MIM Fender Jazz had a Basswood body. Now they have an Alder body like the American STD. In my opinion it makes a world of a difference that pickups won't overcome.

RIght on the cusp. The serial number starts with MZ2, which seems to be 2002-2003 (or 2002-2004 depending on the resource). So it looks like its may or may not be the Alder. Any other way to tell about the wood?
Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
I don't know if you can do that but, If I were you I would consider selling the MIM and buy Bhunt1 G&L with Nordstrand pickups for $500

Oh man, don't mention that G&L to me. I eyed that one for while, love the green. It was outside my budget though and I never thought he'd come down that much, By the time I saw that I already committed to this other one.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 3:16 pm 

Quote:
Any other way to tell about the wood?

Got a chainsaw? ;)

If you just pluck an unplugged alder JB, even righty one in a music store and then your bass you might be able to tell easily. It is very characteristic.

...I have a feeling someone is going to suggest that I participate to a "jazz bass blind test" and ask me to guess the wood to verify whether I am full of it or not :geek:

PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 3:28 pm 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
...I have a feeling someone is going to suggest that I participate to a "jazz bass blind test" and ask me to guess the wood to verify whether I am full of it or not :geek:

Remember to wear earplugs to protect your hearing during the test. :lol:

PostPosted: April 19th, 2013, 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Alan

Yes I tried the Di Marzio's DP123 on my Am Deluxe JB, they fit in a Jazz Bass but are actually humbuckers. No personality, rather boring pickups in my opinion. They kill the lively tonal personality of a Jazz Bass. I changed them after a couple of weeks. I forgot them on my list of pickups I did not like.

Did you install them with 250k or 500k pots?