LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 4:20 pm

Post subject: Possible Pickup Volume Issue -
PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 5:07 am 

Here's the issue... my custom bass has passive Aero Humbucker pickups ( about 9.5k each) in the neck and bridge spots, activated by a four-way switch, and wired like a Fender Jazz, with individual (two) volume pots (500k), and a tone pot. The bass is neck-through, with black Limba (Korina) wood wings, and quilted Bubinga wood top. The neck is 36" scale, made with Maple and Wenge, 5-string, with individual bridges. The body width is 1-1/2" thick. I've been switching over the past couple of years between TI Nickel Flats, and Lakland Lite Gauge nickel roundwounds, which are currently in the bass.

I replaced the original pickups, which were an active set of EMG's, with the Aero's years ago. It took me awhile to find the sweet-spots with passive pickups after having had several basses with active pickups, but I find it hard now to get the tone I like from actives, and enjoy the seemingly infinite adjustability passives give me. The bass has a thick, even bottom end, with good zing on the top when I want, although I'm not a slap player - used mostly for Rock and Blues. Now for my issue....

I've never had the same volume with my Aero's that other passive basses seem to have, especially when they plug into my amp, and I have to turn them down. Or, I have to turn up it seems quite a bit when I plug into other amps. At times to offset this, I've used various small battery powered pre-amps to compensate. I called Larry at Aero recently to ask him about this volume difference, and his answer was essentially this: that neck-through basses in his experience don't put out the same volume as a bolt-on bass, because the neck-through is stiffer and vibrates less. Larry and I are good friends, and he's willing to make a set of hotter pickups for me, but in talking with him, it didn't sound like that would solve my volume issue, and might actually make it more difficult to dial in the tones I'm used to getting.

I do have friends that play passive basses, but in thinking about it, they're mostly Fender 4-and-5 strings. My roommate has a Mike Lull 4-string with Aero's in it that has Fender-like volume, and is also a bolt-on. I can't think of any players I know here that have a passive neck-through bass to compare mine to. So that's why I bring this "issue" to the forum. Has anyone had this type of experience with passive pickups on a neck-through?

Rodent, I'm hoping you will weigh in on this, and tell me if this is a secret neck-through problem we all should be aware of in the future when ordering basses, or this is an anomaly in combination with my bass woods, neck thickness, type of bridges etc. I've tried to be as thorough with as many details as I think are relevant, but please ask more questions if you think I've missed something.

One last thing, I've tried different pre-amps and stomp boxes, and even bass EQ's that are installed in small boxes so I could try them out, and I must say, I don't really like the way the seem to limit my tone. I have considered other pickups and active systems, but would like your opinions before I start spending money on the "cure" before I've identified the "cause". Also, don't be bashful about saying what's on your mind.... like that's going to happen in this forum!

Thanks guys, Happy New Year! :D, and I look forward to what you have to say....

Aloha, Ian