LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:27 pm

Post subject: non-Fender style headstock
PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 9:41 am 

I'll confess, I'm not satisfied with the look of a traditional 4-in-line Fender style headstock on this bass

for visual reference, here's the righty version with a USACG angled headstock neck. note that I really don't care for this headstock shape

ImageImage

in fact, the more I think on it the more I see this design as having an 2+2 angled headstock ... something I don't currently offer but have hoped to at some point in time. I like the headstocks on a few of the classic, high-end basses like Smith, Alembic, Zon, etc ...

I'll post a few images of the influences I'm looking at for inspiration when I have better internet access tonight. my intent here is to receive feedback as I step thru the design iterations the will lead to the headstock for this new bass model

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: non-Fender style headstock
PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

I find I don't tend to like the look of a non-symmetrical 2+2 headstock shape. The Rickenbacker headstock being the exception. The symmetry of the Smith and Zon are what catch my eye.
I always thought some of the old jazz box hollowbody guitars from back in the day had some nice headstock designs that may translate into a neat looking bass headstock.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 6:39 pm 

I agree - a 2+2 needs to be symmetrical and it needs to have a reasonable size to it

here's a few images to get the discussion going

I like the overall feel of an Alembic headstock, but the top end is a little too large for my taste. I realize that they do this so that the same headstock easily accommodates a 4, 5, and 6-string configuration

Spector has a decent 'generic' shape, but it isn't something I ever remember (and often have to look elsewhere to recognize the brand)

Zon's are another decent headstock for size and side shape, but I don't really care for the blockiness on the end

I was hoping to find a Smith 4-string headstock, but I struck out so far :( I like this headstock in the 4-string flavor, but definitely not in a 6er

so shoot away at what you like/dislike on these - and feel welcome to add images of headstock that have the "it" factor pegged

all the best,

R

PostPosted: April 5th, 2008, 3:29 am 

Hi,
My taste are that a symetrical headstock is for a symetrical Body,I think the model you are building have a "slender" general design,the shape like Sadowsky Basses headstock seems for me to suit better to it,But if we go for a symetrical headstock here are some interesting example
I totally agree that Alembic headstock are oversized

Cheers
André