LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:47 am

Post subject: j-retro preamp
PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 5:39 pm 

hey all i've been thinking about buying an sx jazz and pimping it out, sd antiquity II Gotoh bridge and a j-retro preamp but i need to find out some stuff, does anyone have a j-retro? i need to know, whats the point of the toggle switch if it already has a master volume and blend, and does the active/passive when put into passive go into true passive or does it still suck on the battery?

funktastically yours,
Gur

Post subject: Re: j-retro preamp
PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 12:57 am 

I think that Gravebass said he installed one on one his instruments. I heard they are great preamps. Before buying all the upgrades you may want to add everything up and consider the total cost of this deal. All in all, It might cost you more than getting a good used bass or even a decent new one - By the way the lefties KSD on the Adirondack.com site are awesome values - . It is a little bit like pimping up a Honda Civic, it can be cool but you may never recover the cost of the upgrades if you decide to sell it and it is still a Honda Civic. Good luck!

PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 10:29 am 

well all in all i calculated total costs to be between 550-600 which i figure is pretty good considering a mim now costs 600 and the link you sent me was a furniture company so...? but regardless im just doing it as a fun project and ive only owned 2 basses in my 9 years of playing and one was smashed 2 years into my playing career (a lefty rogue no tears were shed) and im broke so its just my budget conscience attempt at having an upscale jazz

PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 3:42 pm 

Sorry, I thought you were looking into upgrading your furnitures!... Just kidding

Here is the link
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/k ... sd_704.htm

Ken Smith Designs are probably the best Jazz Bass copies you can get for the price. $695. I tried the 704 (unfortunatly it was right-handed) and thought it sounded exactly like the Fender Marcus Miller. You get a bass with a real Ash or Alder body (as I said in another thread it IS the real Fender sound) with no need to upgrade anything. I agree with you on your estimate, all in all you are going to spend $600 for your SX and will still have an SX with a Maple body.

Good luck!

PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 4:12 pm 

haha its all good im now looking at some really nice office chairs, i dont know whens the last time you checked out an sx but theyre now making the majority of their jazz models out of solid alder or solid ash probably 2 piece but its not that bad jaco's was 15 pieces held together by wood filler lol thanks for the look out though much appreciated i will definetly look at those ken smiths