LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:32 am

Post subject: Leo Quan Badass Bridges
PostPosted: August 10th, 2009, 1:01 pm 

Over the past 20 yrs I have equiped most of my basses with Badass bridges. On a Fender it will dramatically improve the sound - More sustain, lows, high, punch... If you slap it is a must (Marcus Miller and Geddy Lee won't contradict me). It is probably the first improvement you should try if you want to improve a Fender. Before even replacing the pick-ups.

One info relevant to us lefties is that you should order the non-groved model since you won't be able the reverse the groved one. I had to do some research on-line to find a non-groved Badass III. You have to make the groves yourself. It is very easy using a small file (triangle or square) but don't do it if you are not sure. A grove too deep can kill the overtones.

Keep in mind that for MIM/MIJ Fenders - which can't be strung "through-body" you need to order the Badass II. For the recent US made Fenders you need to order the Badass III (with 3 screw holes) even if you don't plan on stringing your bass "through-body". By the way the brand new Fenders are usually strung "through-body" even though it is not always such a good option. The bass has more sustain but the sound is less punchy, more legato and it also produces some harsh high frequencies around 5khz. Try to string your bass through the bridge.

Since 2008, Fender has much improved the bridges on the US models. It might not be necessary to replace them anymore. (but you certainly pay the price for it!)

Post subject: Re: Leo Quan Badass Bridges
PostPosted: August 11th, 2009, 10:38 pm 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
You have to make the groves yourself. It is very easy using a small file (triangle or square) but don't do it if you are not sure.

optimally, you would file the final shaping of the bridge slot with a round file whose diameter matches that of the string that will rest on the bridge saddle. to slot a Leo Quan BAII correctly requires four files for a 4-string - roughly .105", .085", .065", and .045" in diameter

a square or triangle file will leave a sharp edge that can contribute to string breakage in many cases, and also to a string that is not fully in contact with the saddle (there is a gap in the 'V' of the groove cut)

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: Leo Quan Badass Bridges
PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 10:40 am 

though the badass bridges are bad ass i find it to be a bit bullshit that their prices are so outrageous i bought my badass II for cost (around $40) and i am now requiring new saddles which cost $50 for the set OUTRAGEOUS!!!!