LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:15 pm

Post subject: Fun in Taichung
PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 7:31 pm 

Hi All,

I’ve been a tad quiet lately, as my family and I have just moved from Portland Oregon to Taichung, Taiwan :shock: .... we arrived last Thursday and are staying in a hotel until we can start the lease on our apartment... anyway, we will be here for three years, so hollah if you are in the area. I will do my best to seek out lefty bass-related goodness. I found a Uke store down the road :mrgreen:

Feeling bass- deprived, as my two Warwicks and my amp are in a shipping container. We already had 11 cases, (?!) so no bass luggage for me (it’s amazing how much crap you need for a family of four when you are in temporary housing for two months in two different countries)...

Still, the food is great as always, and there are a ton of brew pubs and coffee shops that were not here last time I was... cheers!!

Post subject: Re: Fun in Taichung
PostPosted: November 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm 

Sounds like life is going to be Good for the next three years! I live on Oahu, in Hawaii, and Love Japanese food... and Saki! Enjoy, keep us posted on local bass finds, bands etc....! :)

PostPosted: November 15th, 2018, 4:53 am 

Can you ship me an order of massaman curry?

Oh wait... :roll:

pete

PostPosted: November 15th, 2018, 5:37 am 

What an awesome adventure! I've always wanted to live abraod with my family, but alas the grandparents are getting on in years and I want to be close while they're still up for fun activities with the kids.

Have fun!

PostPosted: November 15th, 2018, 9:37 am 

Congrats, what an amazing learning experience for your kids.

Hopefully you will get to see some US acts while abroad.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2018, 2:27 pm 

Good for you.
I lived in Taipei for 1.5 years and also Korea and China and London and the US but its good to be back in Oz. Enjoy your time. Make sure your company has provided you with emergency medical insurance and keep a card in your wallet and your wife's purse as if something happens and your unconscious they go through your belongings looking for that as they will not treat you without payment first. It happened to someone I know. Also as horrible as it sounds ..DO NOT try to assist in a car accident if someone dies or is hospitalized even if you had nothing to do with it they will try to blame you and sue you as westerners are seen to have deep pockets and they will be after compensation for the family. Its happened to many expats there and all over Asia.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 1:15 am 

I've heard stories that they'll even jump in front of your car on purpose...

PostPosted: November 16th, 2018, 2:19 am 

Thanks everyone for the kind words and sound advice. I will keep you posted on my adventures.... sadly my Craigslist app gives me 0 hits for “bass guitar” and of course no Guitar Centers ... perhaps it’s better that way- I might actually sit and play the gear I have instead of hunting and trading for other stuff I “need” :lol:

Instead I will live vicariously through the rest of you fine folks :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2018, 1:30 pm 

In a similar way, I recently moved from California to Sint Maarten in the Caribbean but there was no way I was going anywhere without music gear. I managed to bring 1 bass, 1 nylon string guitar and some of my home studio gear. Finding equipment here is near impossible, ordering online from the US is very complicated and shipping expensive. You learn to become minimalist which is not a bad thing at all. I used this fantastic SKB bass case with wheels: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKB44RW--skb-1skb-44rw.

Good luck with your new adventure!