LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:28 pm

Post subject: eBay vs Reverb vs others
PostPosted: October 26th, 2017, 6:51 pm 

Not sure if this is the right forum to post. I am considering putting up a pricey bass for sale. I have previously used eBay but I am curious about Reverb. My guitar player has used Reverb to sell and buy several instruments and he says there aren't as much fees as eBay. I've seen a few high end lefty basses that have been lingering on Reverb for a while like the fretless 5 string Wal and that crazy Carl Thompson 6. So I was just wondering what everybody's experiences are with the two sites as well as other ways of selling instruments like Arni's site or others that I may not have heard of. What are the advantages/disadavntages, costs, ease, how fast do they sell, etc? Of course I may post a feeler here first. Any info appreciated. Thanks! (:^D

Post subject: Re: eBay vs Reverb vs others
PostPosted: October 26th, 2017, 10:15 pm 

Instrument sales websites are like dating websites. They are just a vehicle to get you to the right person. One is really no better than another. It is all about chance and luck that you connect with the right person. Selling a high-end lefty bass is going to require a lot of patience no matter which avenues you take.

That being said, there really is no disadvantage to listing on any site that doesn't charge you anything until you sell, such as eBay, Arni's, here, Reverb, Kajiji(?), Craigslist...

Now you are of course getting us all hot and bothered about what is behind the curtain. Unless that was your sales tactic all along... 8-)

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 6:58 am 

Your best place to start is right here on LeftyBassist.com. No fees and a lefty target audience in waiting. :)

As for the rest, I like Reverb the best, though only if you're in no rush to sell. I've sold everything I've ever listed on Reverb...eventually. They have excellent support and a good return policy/protection plan too.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 7:46 am 

I like Reverb. If I was selling more often, I would probably get a TalkBass account, also.

I sell non-music stuff on eBay and it's fine, but it's more of a hassle. My listings seem to get a lot of dumb questions on eBay. Like "What's the lowest you'll go?" And I'll be like, dude, I listed this TODAY--this is the price. Or I'll list something for $75 and someone who just wants to flip it will offer $15, and I have to keep clearing the notifications because no, I'm not even going to respond to an offer that would leave me owing money after shipping. Then there are the @#$%ers who don't make an offer, but contact me to ask if I would take X. I agree--and then I never hear from them again.

I don't go anywhere near Craigslist. I'm wayyy tooo busy to deal with the lack of seriousness of the people on there.

Anyway, yeah, Reverb seems to have less of all that.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 8:12 am 

eBay recently dropped their fees for MI sale to match Reverb's. that being said, I've used both with great success to sell everything from accessories to pricey instruments and recording gear. IMO Reverb's support system is more agile that eBay's.
Facebook groups can also be useful to post instruments, I've sold bulky P.A. items via local groups.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 8:27 am 

I agree with many of the comments, I always post on Leftybassist first, then Reverb (I used to use Ebay but agree Reverb is much better). Nowadays there are some good Facebook Groups. Here is one that is for selling left handed instruments but I am sure there are several more.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/372129482894367/

I don't much but it does not get any easier than Reverb!

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 3:02 pm 

Great! I will definitely post on here as planned. The Facebook option looks promising and I have signed up for that group and may post concurrently. Reverb sounds like it has the edge over eBay if it comes to that. I have thought about Talkbass but I think you have to pay to post things for sale? Not sure how much that is. And yes, I have been thru a lot of 'tire kickers' on CL.

Thanks again for everyone's responses.
(:^D

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 3:08 pm 

What these guys said. All good advice. Good luck. :)

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 4:47 pm 

penguin wrote:
Great! I will definitely post on here as planned. The Facebook option looks promising and I have signed up for that group and may post concurrently. Reverb sounds like it has the edge over eBay if it comes to that. I have thought about Talkbass but I think you have to pay to post things for sale? Not sure how much that is. And yes, I have been thru a lot of 'tire kickers' on CL.

Thanks again for everyone's responses.
(:^D

Yes, I think TalkBass costs $4/month, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 5:56 pm 

Tim, I think they still do the yearly fee thing, with varying prices & levels of membership. That’s what allows you to sell and whatnot, unless they’ve changed things up.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 6:35 pm 

We're both right. Either $30/yr or $5/mo:

Attachments:
Screenshot_20171027-213447.png
Screenshot_20171027-213447.png [ 231.97 KiB | Viewed 9132 times ]