LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 2:50 am

Post subject: 3D printed goodies - A bass ramp
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 9:22 am 

Anyone remember the Strange Change Machine from your childhood? (you'd have to be at least 40 something to remember). Coolest toy ever. Well, move over, Strange Change, 'cause 3D printing's my new hobby. I've become a 3D printing fanatic. Got one for Christmas and I've printed a few fun things so far. The first projects were attempts at dinosaurs for my daughter, which initially turned out looking like deformed globs. Further adjustments have greatly improved the results, and the more I learn about it the better I'm getting. There's literally thousands of great design ideas out there, and now I'm just getting into modifying and designing my own creations.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my first attempt at a bass ramp. This was designed specifically for my '72 Jazz bass. I found the design online and modified it for a lefty. The beauty of this ramp is it's non-destructive, as it mounts to your bass via the two lower pickguard screws. (An additional piece of double stick tape on the opposite side helps further keep it in place). Printed in 2 parts, the first part is the underside lift that is placed right on the body between the bridge PUP and the edge of the pickguard. This brings the overall surface up evenly so the ramp can sit level.

3D printing is a temperamental process. All sorts of little tweaks and fine tuning to get it right. I made some rookie mistakes first time out. The top piece warped and corners curls upwards slightly while printing. I was able to bend it back in shape via some soaking in hot water, but like a dummy I used tongs to hold it in place and I caused a dent in the top of the ramp (see photo). I could correct it via some putty, but I won't bother for now. Also, printed results can come out with rough edges and visible section lines. To remove them, both dry and wet sanding is required in ascending grits, 100grit upwards to as much as 2500 grit, depending on how polished you want your results to be. I kinda like the look when it first comes out though, or even with just a rough 100grit sanding application, as it almost looks like weathered ebony with a wood grain proximity. (see photo). I only have black filament right now, but if I pursue this further will probably try some wood filaments for a different look. They also recommend applying acetone or a product called XTC 3D print coating for a more finished shiny lacquer look, applying 3 or more coats and sanding each way. I didn't bother. I got a decent matte finish shine via sanding and applying Brasso, then buffed it. Good enough for now. The ramp looks like it's been through some gigs already. :)

Attachment:
IMG_4610.jpg
IMG_4610.jpg [ 46.85 KiB | Viewed 6466 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4611.jpg
IMG_4611.jpg [ 71.92 KiB | Viewed 6466 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4613.jpg
IMG_4613.jpg [ 69.36 KiB | Viewed 6466 times ]

Anyway, I'm still a novice and this is still an ongoing learning process. I'll be designing and making more bass ramps in the future. But if anyone's interested in being a guinea pig for a bass ramp, let me know and I'll try to make one for you. :) I've also made some picks, a string winder, and a sheet music page holder so far too, so if you've got other ideas or needs lemme know. I could use the practice.

Post subject: Re: 3D printed goodies - A bass ramp
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 9:55 am 

I'd say you are a natrual! That looks really good! You did a great job of contouring it around the pickup screws!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 10:13 am 

That's pretty slick!

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 10:45 am 
Site Admin

That's super cool. What 3D printer do you have?

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 11:40 am 

andrew wrote:
That's super cool. What 3D printer do you have?

It's a Printrbot Play. A very good entry level 3D printer, IMO. I just ordered the add-on heated bed for it, which will help adhere objects to the bed while it's printing, since lower levels tend to cool off and jar loose from the bed as the printer prints upper layers, thus dragging your object all over the place. :lol: No fun when you're 3 hours into a print and it all comes undone! This bass ramp took about 5 hours to print, all told, though I printed it slow and I'm going to experiment with faster print speeds and the heated bed to see if I can cut down on the print time and not sacrifice quality.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 12:11 pm 

I love how you used existing screw holes. Clever design job!

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 5:13 pm 

What a great toy to play with! Nice job on the ramp... :)

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2017, 5:27 pm 

Neato 8-)

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 8:06 pm 

Very nice. Cool technology, thanks for the review on using it. I had guessed it wasn’t as simple to use as ads make it seem.