LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:16 am

Post subject: Re: Talkbass never changes...
PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 2:53 pm 

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
By the way, can someone tell me what is the best bass for metal?

---> Spector EURO Series Basses :D

GREAT for drop tuning all the way down to 2 full steps. I know this as I play double drop on a 5 string. Just make sure you get the DC40 or PJ series pickups. Nice definition and clarity.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 4:50 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
---> Spector EURO Series Basses :D

GREAT for drop tuning all the way down to 2 full steps. I know this as I play double drop on a 5 string. Just make sure you get the DC40 or PJ series pickups. Nice definition and clarity.

The question was a joke regarding the throngs of angstified youngsters flooding TB to ask which aftermarket bridge will make their Dean Edge better for metal. I'm guessing that most of those kids neither can afford nor deserve a Spector Euro :)

I mean, not that I deserve / can afford a Spector Euro. I'm just a hypocrite.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 7:40 pm 

tim wrote:
The question was a joke.
It was hilarious in my head. I will have to work on my delivery.

I guess Tim and I have a similar sense of humor. It is probably an, "engineer thing."

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2016, 8:23 pm 

What are the differences between the lefty Jazz Bass and the lefty Precision Bass?

And which color sounds better - lefty sunburst or lefty black?

And are lefty Monster cables worth it?

:?:

(Hey, all of these questions have been answered only for righties!)

PostPosted: February 18th, 2016, 8:37 am 

bbl wrote:
What are the differences between the lefty Jazz Bass and the lefty Precision Bass?

And are lefty Monster cables worth it?

:?:

(Hey, all of these questions have been answered only for righties!)

I'll be happy to answer those questions for an extra 15%... :twisted:

(I'll be here all week!)

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: February 18th, 2016, 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 8:21 am 

what is the best bass for metal in lefty?

all of these :lol:

PostPosted: February 19th, 2016, 8:58 am 

Quote:
resident Charvel/Jackson freakazoid

Sounds accurate!

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2016, 2:18 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
So there are a couple of threads I've been following over at Talkbass for awhile, and realized that without paying for the privilege to reply, I was just a lurker... but haven't had any inclination for the past few years since my membership lapsed to be a paying/supporting member until tonight. SO, I decided to go as cheap as possible, and signed up for the $4/monthly recurring fee, rather than the $30/yearly, just to see if I was going to get back into the forum on a regular basis....

Sure enough, the 2nd thread I decided to click on and read, reminded me of all the stories, and trolls, we've all come to diss on, and be irritated by on TB... The thread I got involved in is titled "Bass Nightmare", written by a 65-year-old retired oil worker from Austin Texas, who decided to buy a Fender Okoume Jazz Bass from Guitar Center, and, after a couple of gigs at his church, the active EQ section gave out. Taking it back to GC, and getting warranty work on it has been a nightmare, and apparently has dragged on for several months, with GC doing nothing to satisfy a paying customer...

The 65-year-old poster has a dysfunctional writing style, and wrote his entire post in one long paragraph. Yes, it was initially hard to read, and at first I wasn't sure whether the poster was from another country, and English was his 2nd language, or what... Right away, the flamers attacked him for no paragraph separation, shouting in Caps in a subsequent post etc., rather than just seeing through it all, and trying to either be sympathetic, or offer up advice. Turns out the poster has ADHD, takes seizure meds, has an old laptop computer, and obviously, is a blue-collar worker, not an English major.

Unfortunately, my payment hasn't been authorized yet, so I'm unable to post some sort of witty retort to these assholes, but it just reminds me of why I slowly faded away from reading Talkbass posts, and why I SO enjoy being a member here in Leftybassist - you guys are all Gentlemen, are always eager and willing to help someone with a problem, and on the rare occasion a member says something out of line, it's quickly addressed, and order is restored.

If anyone cares to read a bit of the actual thread, here it is.... http://www.talkbass.com/threads/bass-nightmare.1205776/

At the risk of being redundant, this forum sets the bar for, and should be held up as, the prime example of how members should respond to, and respect other members.... Thanks Guys, I'm honored to be a member here!

Aloha,
Ian

Haven't been on that site in years. You think Talkbass is bad, you should try leftyfrets.net, a cliquish, elitist collective of snobs if ever there was one. (aka the Elliott Easton brown nose page) :roll:

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2016, 2:42 pm 

I have been here for 6 years and I have NEVER found any trash Andrew has to clean up after, and if there is/was, it is gone before I can roll my eyes :roll:

well, except for my one rant post who was seen by a talkbass spy and I got "warned" over there. That was the last year I put down my 20bucks ( now up to 30 ) and if they kick me off, no loss ;)

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2016, 3:42 pm 

amimbari wrote:
well, except for my one rant post who was seen by a talkbass spy and I got "warned" over there. That was the last year I put down my 20bucks ( now up to 30 ) and if they kick me off, no loss ;)

Talkbass raised the rate to $30? This year? That's rediculous.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2016, 4:10 pm 

If you ever sell anything on there, $30 is nothing... I'll pay that much or more in a single sale on eBay.

Anyway, I gave in and did the lifetime membership a couple years ago.

Regardless of the trolls and whatever else is annoying about it, I think it's a decent resource to have available.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2016, 10:03 am 

bbl wrote:

And here we have a classic case of life imitating art:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/for-th ... s.1219583/

PostPosted: April 24th, 2016, 12:02 pm 

everyone knows that lefty white is the tone sucking monster color of all time

black and sunburst? hahahahaha WRONG :P

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 11:56 am 

You know, it's funny. I was just looking at TB and LF before I found this place. I'm new to playing music in general, so I was kind of intimidated by how snobbish the general population of both forums came off. I was beginning to think that I'd have to weather a storm of nose-up d-baggery every time I asked a question deemed "too simple" for them. I kept looking and using the term "southpaw" in Google I came to find this place. Everyone here is just so chill. I have a thick skin but I work in retail and I take an ego-beating everyday. Last thing I feel like dealing with is more snide commentary when I'm on my personal time.

EDIT: That's not to say that I think TalkBass and LeftyFrets are filled with ONLY rude jerks, just that there's a vocal minority that seem to flood a good chunk of the legit questions people post.

Seriously, you guys seem so relaxed and welcoming. Ribbing is always fun, but it's cool to know I won't have to scroll through a bunch of arrogant BS to get to the one helpful response I'm looking for. Thanks for being rad!

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 12:49 pm 

Well said 2Tone.... and welcome to the best forum - lefty or otherwise - on the 'net!