LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 1:33 am

Post subject: Left-Handers Day -- August 13th
PostPosted: August 9th, 2013, 3:36 am 

Not sure if you're already aware of such a day. I wasn't, but just came across this piece.

Left-Handers Day
A day to celebrate the southpaw

Sometimes left-handed people have challenges. School desks face the wrong direction, sports equipment isn't always a perfect match and everyday objects sometimes are in strange positions for their needs. Because of the problems facing the left-handed, a day has been established to honor them and their southpaw struggles. Here are a few fun facts about this obscure but interesting day.

The history of Left-Handers Day
Left-Handers Day, which takes place each year on Aug. 13, was created by the Left-Handers Club. This club, founded in 1990, is an international organization with the goal of bringing the needs of left-handed people to the fore. The organization is primarily involved with teaching designers how to create products that are left-hander friendly.

What do President Obama and Lady Gaga have in common?
It does not seem that President Obama and Lady Gaga could have much in common, but they do have this: left-handedness. These two notables are among the estimated 10 percent of people who are born left-handed. Luckily for them, research shows that left-handed people are connected with the traits of intelligence and creativity.

The left-handed gifts can come with challenges
Studies have shown that lefties display above average performance in music, athletics, and math. However, scientific studies also show that those with left-handedness also show higher levels of mental illness and developmental disorders. These are just statistics, so no particular leftie is necessarily more prone to this than anyone else — but there is a general trend in the scientific data. What this means is that left-handedness may be connected with both challenges and exceptional abilities.

The Left-Handers Day celebration
Although Left-Handers Day is mostly an awareness raising event, the Left-Handers Club suggests that individuals take advantage of the opportunity to proclaim their left-handedness by hanging up posters in the workplace and challenging "righties" to use their left hand in games and activities. This could give them a taste of what it must feel like to live as a leftie in a state of constant disadvantage when it comes to using utensils, machinery and other everyday items designed for right-handers.

Where does 'handedness' come from?
Although being left-handed or right-handed runs in families, this hint at a genetic link is not clear evidence of the biological origins of "handedness." Scientists are still puzzled as to why some people favor their left and some people favor their right. One thing is for sure: the prominence of right-handedness starts early, as scientists say that most babies in the womb will suck their right thumbs.
For those of you who are left-handed, fret no more; the holiday of Left-Handers Day has taken up your cause. You can now band together with fellow southpaws and show your unity as a group known for creative artistry and a whole lot of smarts.

Post subject: Re: Left-Handers Day -- August 13th
PostPosted: August 9th, 2013, 10:46 am 

I think that on this day all lefties should be allowed to bitch-slap one or more persons across the face without consequences. Say, you go to Guitar Center and the only left-handed bass they have is a black Ibanez Gio GSR200 missing one string . . . you look at the calendar, it's August 13th, bring that to the attention of the dude, and bitch-slap him across the face. Walk out. No consequences.

Say you get home and your wife burnt the fried chicken . . . Bitch-slap, like Batman to Robin. POW! Walk away and go to KFC by yourself. No consequence. KFC dude at the counter won't honor your expired coupon for a free chicken thigh, show him that's August 13th, and . . . Bitch-slap. Walk away. You get my drift.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2013, 12:24 pm 

I wish. I'd make it a point to visit music store on that day.
"a lefty mexican strat for how much?!" SKAMACK!

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 6:31 am 

[quote="bpa11"]Not sure if you're already aware of such a day. I wasn't, but just came across this piece.

Left-Handers Day
A day to celebrate the southpaw

What do President Obama and Lady Gaga have in common?
It does not seem that President Obama and Lady Gaga could have much in common, but they do have this: left-handedness. These two notables are among the estimated 10 percent of people who are born left-handed. Luckily for them, research shows that left-handed people are connected with the traits of intelligence and creativity.

Without getting into politics, I am somewhat proud that I have a number of similarities with Obama. He had and I both went to some of the same schools, both are from Chicago, both enjoy and do pretty well in basketball, took courses from many of the same professors, and both try to be caring fathers (there is a lot of anecdotal evidence here in DC that he is very, very intentional about family time with his girls). I want to try my hand at being a part time professor one of these days as well. I wish my grades in school were as good as his though!

"The left-handed gifts can come with challenges
Studies have shown that lefties display above average performance in music, athletics, and math."

I wish I had talent at math and music. By far my worst grade in school and any standardized tests! Numbers and I don't mix, though oddly enough I did really well in geometry. Still a work in progress in music, it's weird, I love to dance and play bass, the second I have to keep count it all goes to rot.

Cool thread!

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 9:27 am 

Happy Left-Handers Day to all

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 9:56 pm 

August 13th?... the 13th? As if people aren't concerned enough about the oddity of being left handed, we now have to deal with the mysticism of this dark number?..... Hell yeah, fear us, righties! :twisted:

PostPosted: August 13th, 2020, 4:59 pm 

Yay!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2020, 10:37 pm 

A right handed friend had to remind me of it today.... :lol: