LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 7:50 pm

Post subject: We need more variety
PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 11:52 am 

Hi everyone! I'm new here. It's nice to find a place just for us lefties.

So I've been ripping things apart my whole life. Started out with el cheapo guitars and basses and learned how to set them up, repair and change things out of necessity. I've built a couple Frankenbasses and recently cut out and shaped a Tele and a bass body that is very Jazzy in shape. I've been a carpenter for years but it's quite a steep learning curve. I've been working out mistakes and my first several instruments will probably have their quirks. So after finishing the Tele I'll have spent many hours building a guitar you can buy at just about any guitar shop in America. You even find these left handed on the showroom floor in a lot of places. While the bass isn't really an exact Fender shape and will have a MM pickup it will have a Jazz neck I converted to fretless on it. Not the most original instruments in the world.

I don't see the point in building Teles, Strats, P and J style basses etc. You can buy them anywhere. Warmoth is 70 miles from my house and USA Custom Guitars about 60. Carvin has some really cool options for us as well. My question to everyone is this.

What are some features you would want to see in a bass that aren't commonly available to us?

I don't have any delusions about trying to compete with the big boys but I'm not interested in building insanely expensive custom basses to order either. Somewhere in the middle with a price tag in the middle. I have some ideas but I don't have experience with a lot of different instruments and would really enjoy hearing peoples ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: We need more variety
PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 7:31 pm 

Honestly if I can't find any instrument that fit my specs I found out that Warmoth is a great option for us lefties. It is not like it used to be when you could never find a decent instrument. For the most part lefties can find something that fit their needs. It depends of course on how much you are willing to spend. There are a few nice fellows on this site who build or use to build instruments for a living and I am sure they would have more insight on all this. For anything more custom I would probably order something from our talented in-house luthier, Rod (Regenerate). See his thread at the bottom.