LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 8:16 pm

Post subject: Starr Guitar Systems
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 8:59 am 

I dropped off my Godin guitar to my repair guy for installing some new PUPs, and we got on the topic of left-handedness and my aggravation with so many manufacturers passing off their left handed offerings with righty pots installed = no taper. He told me about this company called Starr Guitar Systems that he has ordered from before for lefties and he was very impressed with the quality and CS. Anybody here heard of them or ordered from them? Check 'em out:

https://www.starrguitarsystems.com

Post subject: Re: Starr Guitar Systems
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 9:00 am 

Nope. But it's a bookmark now. Thanks for passing it along!

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 9:01 am 

Consulted with that guy a couple years back about a harness for a RIC. He ghosted me after I asked about price.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 9:08 am 

Matt R. wrote:
Consulted with that guy a couple years back about a harness for a RIC. He ghosted me after I asked about price.

Hmm. Well for basic lefty pots and harnesses, his prices are right up there, but I guess if you're looking for something specific or customized, you might run into rejection. :lol:

For what it's worth, you can tell him he was recommended by me/Bill Baker at Dave's Sound.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 5:39 pm 

I've bought two of his harnesses. Nice guy too. I put one of them in a Strat, and I'm getting ready to put one in my Ibanez Artist, whose wiring had gone bad over the years. The one on the Strat is really well put together. Top work.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 11:24 pm 

I have one in my white Bacchus jazz bass. Great workmanship, nice guy to deal with.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 11:31 pm 

NoXX wrote:
I have one in my white Bacchus jazz bass. Great workmanship, nice guy to deal with.

Attachments:
3000B565-93ED-4DC4-B89B-20B582659295.jpeg
3000B565-93ED-4DC4-B89B-20B582659295.jpeg [ 353.75 KiB | Viewed 55024 times ]

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2021, 9:02 am 

NoXX wrote:
NoXX wrote:

Very cool. Always been curious about Bacchus instruments. How are they?

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2021, 6:22 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
NoXX wrote:
NoXX wrote:

Very cool. Always been curious about Bacchus instruments. How are they?

I have just realized that I forgot to post about my Bacchus. I won't derail this thread by posting a lot, but I took a weekend trip to Japan in Dec 2019 to go guitar hunting. I went to all of the usual places you see on-line in Ochanomizu, with the aim of picking up a MIJ Fender Jazz bass. Long story short, I found a used Bacchus Woodline that needed some love, but just felt really good and was very resonant unplugged. I found that I much preferred the neck to the standard MIJ Jazz, which surprised me a lot. Anyway, brought it back to Taiwan, and added hipshot hardware (just because I could- the stock hardware is way better than any on my prior MIM Fenders), the Starr harness, and Aguilar hum-cancelling pups (lots of noise here from various sources), and now it's a keeper. I liked it so much, I've just found it a playmate from Ishibashi ;).

Bacchus have a broad range of basses, from affordable to custom. The most affordable is the Universe series, followed by Global, then Craft, Custom and Handmade. My two Woodlines are part of the Global series -made very well in the Philippines. I've only seen lefties in the Global and Universe series at this time. My white Woodline is the same model as Thumbslam posted about some time back, I think. I'll post better pics when I get time to write the post ;).

Attachments:
IMG_5714.jpg
IMG_5714.jpg [ 129.14 KiB | Viewed 54992 times ]
11231104_5dd893b9ca1e3.jpg
11231104_5dd893b9ca1e3.jpg [ 131.48 KiB | Viewed 54992 times ]

PostPosted: February 21st, 2022, 12:20 pm 

Thanks for all the comments! I googled myself a few weeks back, and this site/thread popped up! So here I am, first post.
Im doing lots of LH business: LP, SG, 335, P-Bass, J-Bass, Strat, Tele, etc. Of course I do much more RH builds, but I'm really surprised at how the LH business has picked up. I guess the word has gotten around. Not sure the percentage of LH players (maybe 1%??) out there, but about 15 % of my current harness builds/sales are LH! Ive built and sold almost 5,000 harnesses since I started this company 5 years ago. If I can help anyone out, please feel free to contact me. I'm a 2 person operation, so things can get a bit crazy here. I do all the harness builds and my wife handles the shipping and the website.
Thanks! Dave Starr 8-)
http://www.starrguitarsystems.com

Attachment:
22jblhpro.jpg
22jblhpro.jpg [ 293.57 KiB | Viewed 53262 times ]

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2022, 11:00 am 

DaveStarr wrote:
Thanks for all the comments! I googled myself a few weeks back, and this site/thread popped up! So here I am, first post.
Im doing lots of LH business: LP, SG, 335, P-Bass, J-Bass, Strat, Tele, etc. Of course I do much more RH builds, but I'm really surprised at how the LH business has picked up. I guess the word has gotten around. Not sure the percentage of LH players (maybe 1%??) out there, but about 15 % of my current harness builds/sales are LH! Ive built and sold almost 5,000 harnesses since I started this company 5 years ago. If I can help anyone out, please feel free to contact me. I'm a 2 person operation, so things can get a bit crazy here. I do all the harness builds and my wife handles the shipping and the website.
Thanks! Dave Starr 8-)

Attachment:
22jblhpro.jpg

Awesome Dave! Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. Will definitely be in touch soon. Regarding your comment about the small percentage of players who are lefty, I truly believe there are far more of us out there who are either dissuaded from being left handed or fall victim to lack of support, so the low percentage numbers justify the reasoning behind company's limited offerings (or none at all). it's a vicious circle: Scarcity and lack of support perpetuates scarcity of lefty players, and thus the low percentages. It's why you'll see many of us here who play lefty instruments strung righty. because once upon a time a lefty walked into a music store and all they were given to try out was a a right handed instrument, so they adapted. And, as it relates to your line of work, many lefties find a left handed instrument and they might not even realize that the pots and wiring are wrong.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2022, 11:03 am 

DaveStarr wrote:
Thanks! Dave Starr 8-)

Hi, Dave! Thanks for chiming in! Your work looks extremely clean and professional! My soldering looks like a child's artwork, so I appreciate the talent needed for good soldering.
I would guess that you get so many left-handed orders because so few companies use true left-handed harnesses, even for their lefty instruments. They either use righty-pots and wire them righty (which isn't so bad), or use righty pots and wire them lefty (which is just worthless).

As an aside, I get why so many active preamps are this way: the preamp board would have to be specifically printed for lefties, and there isn't enough demand to make that economical. They know to stick with righty pots, though.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2022, 3:49 pm 

pjmuck:
Many thanks! I have wallked into many music stores, and worked at one as well..... and you would be lucky if there was 1 LH guitar hanging on the wall. As for as the wiring, yeah Ive been down that road a few times. Guys would get back to me and say I have my LH harness that I built for them wired backwards! :? I have to explain to them that, no.... they have been playing a LH guitar wired wrong for the last 20 years! :shock:

pjmuck wrote:
DaveStarr wrote:
Thanks! Dave Starr 8-)

Attachment:
22jblhpro.jpg

Awesome Dave! Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. Will definitely be in touch soon. Regarding your comment about the small percentage of players who are lefty, I truly believe there are far more of us out there who are either dissuaded from being left handed or fall victim to lack of support, so the low percentage numbers justify the reasoning behind company's limited offerings (or none at all). it's a vicious circle: Scarcity and lack of support perpetuates scarcity of lefty players, and thus the low percentages. It's why you'll see many of us here who play lefty instruments strung righty. because once upon a time a lefty walked into a music store and all they were given to try out was a a right handed instrument, so they adapted. And, as it relates to your line of work, many lefties find a left handed instrument and they might not even realize that the pots and wiring are wrong.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2022, 3:55 pm 

superheavydeathmetal:
Thanks very much! I take great pride in the work that I do, and since Ive been playing professionally for over 35 years, I build each wiring harness like I'm going to use it myself! So the quality has to be up to my standards. And I'm pretty picky about this stuff! 8-)

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
DaveStarr wrote:
Thanks! Dave Starr 8-)

Hi, Dave! Thanks for chiming in! Your work looks extremely clean and professional! My soldering looks like a child's artwork, so I appreciate the talent needed for good soldering.
I would guess that you get so many left-handed orders because so few companies use true left-handed harnesses, even for their lefty instruments. They either use righty-pots and wire them righty (which isn't so bad), or use righty pots and wire them lefty (which is just worthless).

As an aside, I get why so many active preamps are this way: the preamp board would have to be specifically printed for lefties, and there isn't enough demand to make that economical. They know to stick with righty pots, though.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2022, 5:23 pm 

I've used one of your harnesses, Dave. Great work.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2022, 4:52 pm 

ch willie wrote:
I've used one of your harnesses, Dave. Great work.

Thank You! :)