LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please say hello
PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 7:36 pm 

that is one wicked looking pickguard.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2008, 8:27 pm 

Hey everybody,Poorlefty here. Glad to be back(better late than never!) Cool site...I'm gonna like this place. Steve :o

PostPosted: December 17th, 2008, 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

poorlefty wrote:
Hey everybody,Poorlefty here. Glad to be back(better late than never!) Cool site...I'm gonna like this place. Steve :o

Hey Steve! Dude, great to finally have here. Check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=87

We've been looking for you for a while. :D

PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 7:47 am 

Yeah,I had a really hard time trying to reconnect with the old forum. So I gave up on it for a while. Glad I found you guys again, we all have to stick together being wrong handed :roll: ! I may have a couple of basses to sell in the near future...79 rick and a 76 p-bass. Looking to buy an Alembic preamp for my rig. Keep you posted. Pooorlefty

PostPosted: January 1st, 2009, 7:30 am 

Greets from Cambridge, England :)

I've just discovered the forums, having been a frequent visitor to Arnis site.
I recognise a few faces from other forums; I'm on TB (mostly lurking) and Basschat under the same user name :)

Happy new year!

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 6:21 am 

Hello all- lurked long enough, pulled the trigger and registered!

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 6:45 am 

Welcome aboard!!!

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 9:04 am 
Site Admin

Hi Biggsy and Surfjazz, welcome guys!

When you get a chance let us know a bit about yourselves and what basses you're playing.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 2:14 pm 

Thanks for the welcomes guys! I'm playing a Warwick $$ mainly, and having an ongoing tinker with a Mexican Jazz. It'll probably be a long time until I can call it 'finished' but I'll make sure I post some pictures after the refin :) Glad to finally find a worldwide pool for my 'niche'!

PostPosted: January 5th, 2009, 5:15 pm 

Thanks guys!! Hmmm...let's see...I play mostly jazzes through Magnavox era SVTs and 810s or for smaller stuff/change of pace the newer Acoustic amps and cabinets. Will post pics soon.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2009, 8:11 pm 

Biggsy wrote:
Thanks for the welcomes guys! I'm playing a Warwick $$ mainly, and having an ongoing tinker with a Mexican Jazz. It'll probably be a long time until I can call it 'finished' but I'll make sure I post some pictures after the refin :) Glad to finally find a worldwide pool for my 'niche'!

Welcome, Biggsy. Warwick Double $$. :mrgreen: I've been itching to try one of those for a while.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2009, 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

surfjazz wrote:
Thanks guys!! Hmmm...let's see...I play mostly jazzes through Magnavox era SVTs and 810s or for smaller stuff/change of pace the newer Acoustic amps and cabinets. Will post pics soon.

I've been curious to hear the new Acoustic stuff. Does it remind you tonally of any other company's amps?

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 5:50 am 

Quote:
Welcome, Biggsy. Warwick Double $$. :mrgreen: I've been itching to try one of those for a while.

If you're ever over in blighty you're more than welcome to come and give it a crack! I just saw your collection, there's probably about 20 basses there I'd gladly trade for, very nice :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 6:46 am 

Hello. I stumbled upon this place a while back while in the market for a new bass and decided to register. My main bass is currently a Carvin Bolt kit that i did a few years ago but I am in the process of putting something new together. (I need to offload some extraneous gear first I think). Pics to follow.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 2:25 pm 

Hi everyone

I was introduced to this site by Biggsy nice place mind if i hand around awhile?

thanks
Andrew

PostPosted: January 7th, 2009, 6:45 am 

Yail Bloor wrote:
Hello. I stumbled upon this place a while back while in the market for a new bass and decided to register. My main bass is currently a Carvin Bolt kit that i did a few years ago but I am in the process of putting something new together. (I need to offload some extraneous gear first I think). Pics to follow.

Welcome Yail. I didn't know Carvin made lefty kits.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 9:03 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Welcome Yail. I didn't know Carvin made lefty kits.

Believe it!

PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 4:15 am 

Hi all, Jeroen here from the Netherlands. I stumbled upon this forum on Google by coincidence and it seems like a nice place so far.
I started out as a guitarist and still play guitar at a regular basis, but I mostly consider myself a bass player. I currently play in The Bullfight, we make somewhat dark pop with a slight folkrock edge. When our first album was reviewed by a Dutch magazine, they dubbed it 'pop noir' and that name kinda stuck with us, we like it :P .

I mostly play my fivestring Forza, made by Ellio Martina, a Dutch luthier of Italian origin. It's basically a Jazz Bass but with a slight edge. It has a swamp ash body and a five-piece maple/purpleheart neck with a maple fingerboard and flamed maple headstock veneer. It has two big singlecoils wound by Ellio himself, in beautiful ebony casings, and an Aguilar OBP3 preamp. The pickups have a very interesting feature, they have a coiltap that takes them from around 7200 windings to around 9200 windings for a little added output and a more pronounced midrange bark. The bass looks very basic and plain, but she's a real beast and incredibly versatile.

I also have two Ibanez ATK's, a '96 ATK300 and a '98 ATK305, both made in Japan. They're like a poor man's Stingray, but Ibanez took the concept just slightly over the top. They're big, heavy, the necks are huge but the sound is so worth it!

Then there's my fretless Sandberg Bullet 5, with Delano singlecoils and a Noll preamp.
I currently also have an acoustic fretless, a Cort NTL-B FL with Fishman electronics that I used on a number of (amplified) acoustic gigs. It doesn't get played often at this moment, but I couldn't stand parting with it, it's a very nice instrument even though it's not very loud when played acoustically.

And then the real oddballs: my Big Kydd EUB that I had Ellio Martina convert to lefty for me (but that one's currently for sale on Arni's site and I've already had some interest from a German who'll probably pick it up next sunday) and a Longbow American Classic fretless 2-string. It's little more than a square log of figured maple with recessed monorail bridge, two tiny pickups and a set of tuners, it looks absolutely rediculous but it's so much fun to play :mrgreen: . Sounds very big, it has an almost upright-like tone.

Here are some pictures, please click for a bigger version.

The Ellio Martina Forza:
Image Image Image Image

Both Ibanez ATK's:
Image Image Image

The Sandberg Bullet 5 Fretless:

The Longbow:
(I'm the guy on the left, the 30" Longbow on the right used to be mine too, I played that one upside down with the strings reversed, but when Longbow announced they were in business again, in october, I ordered a brand new 32" lefty and sold the other one to the guy on the right).

If you want to know more about me or any of my instruments, please feel free to bump in :)

PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 9:15 am 

Welcome!

Tell us about that Longbow. I've always wondered how they were to play, sounded etc.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 10:42 am 

Jeroen wrote:
I also have two Ibanez ATK's, a '96 ATK300 and a '98 ATK305, both made in Japan. They're like a poor man's Stingray, but Ibanez took the concept just slightly over the top. They're big, heavy, the necks are huge but the sound is so worth it!

Welcome! I love your ATK duo there, and I don't think I've ever seen lefties in that dark brown finish. Are lefties still made for the Japanese market? Usually here in the states when you find them they're the mid-90's orange finish or the more recent Slipknot black (ugh!). There are a few things about these basses that I actually prefer over a Stingray, i.e. the coil tapping, neck, etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next