LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 5:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please say hello
PostPosted: September 15th, 2008, 7:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi leftybassatl, welcome aboard.

Yep Mexican Kola, it counts, welcome to you too!

Great to have you here guys.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2008, 7:36 am 

Mexican Kola wrote:
hey all, i feel at home with all you leftys 8-) but i play upside down, does that count ? :?: :roll:

Play upside down? How do you do that? Do you use these? ;)

Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2008, 7:09 am 

Hi!
Great website, great job and its good to be with other "evil's hand" players, al last!
I'm glad to be here!

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2008, 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Jose, glad you could join us. What else do you have in your bass stable besides the Fender and the Warwick?

PostPosted: October 27th, 2008, 6:53 pm 

vonbuck wrote:
Well I'm andy Just came over from Talk Bass. Will a whole site of left handed bassists implode? Hope not.

Andy

Well I'm back. I couldn't log in under my old name (von buck), so I resigned up as my regular name.

Andy

PostPosted: October 27th, 2008, 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Andy, welcome back. If you'd like me to figure out the issue with signing in as von buck let me know.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2008, 9:06 pm 

andrew wrote:
Hey Andy, welcome back. If you'd like me to figure out the issue with signing in as von buck let me know.

Thanks, that's ok, I'll just use this one. I couldn't access my old info because I disabled my old email account so I didn't really try.
This will be easier so I don't confuse myself with other forums

Andy

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 1:06 pm 

andrew wrote:
Hi Midnightbass, welcome to the board. What bass/basses do you have?

I finally have my baby. Got her about 3 weeks ago. these are the first pics of her and she's not quite walking yet.... getting there :)

Attachments:
DSC00052.JPG
DSC00052.JPG [ 73.86 KiB | Viewed 47140 times ]
DSC00051.JPG
DSC00051.JPG [ 84.47 KiB | Viewed 47140 times ]
DSC00050.JPG
DSC00050.JPG [ 102.92 KiB | Viewed 47141 times ]
PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 1:08 pm 

had one more pic that didn't post....

Attachments:
DSC00053.JPG
DSC00053.JPG [ 87.99 KiB | Viewed 47136 times ]
PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 5:50 pm 

andrew wrote:
Hi John,
Nice to have you here. Your Gibson sounds very sweet, got any pics you can show us?

I posted pics finally in the Basses section.

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 11:21 am 

Hi everyone! Dave Edwards, Reno, Nevada checkin' in. This site is a great addition to the lefty bassist's community! I'm also on talkbass.com, and on Arni's great website. I am also a bass repairman, and luthier. I specialize in upright string basses. Oh, I almost forgot, I repair righty guitars too! LOL! If anyone needs any help or has a question about repair processes, feel free to contact me! I have a lot of bench time, since about 1970...(I'm of official senior age- how'd that happen?) I have thousands of repairs under my belt. Examples of my work can be seen on my profile page on Arni's site. I hope to be talkin' to you all soon, bassists...especially lefty bassists are the coolest!

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 11:52 am 
Site Admin

MidnightBass wrote:
had one more pic that didn't post....

Cool man. Now that you've had some time to settle in to your new bass, how's it treating you?

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 11:54 am 
Site Admin

LHBASSIST wrote:
Hi everyone! Dave Edwards, Reno, Nevada checkin' in. This site is a great addition to the lefty bassist's community! I'm also on talkbass.com, and on Arni's great website. I am also a bass repairman, and luthier. I specialize in upright string basses. Oh, I almost forgot, I repair righty guitars too! LOL! If anyone needs any help or has a question about repair processes, feel free to contact me! I have a lot of bench time, since about 1970...(I'm of official senior age- how'd that happen?) I have thousands of repairs under my belt. Examples of my work can be seen on my profile page on Arni's site. I hope to be talkin' to you all soon, bassists...especially lefty bassists are the coolest!

Hi Dave, great to have you here! :)

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 1:39 pm 

hey Dave - welcome 8-)

nice to have another bass building brother around here - especially one who specializes on dog houses! jump in over on the BP&P section whenever you get time

all the best,

R

PostPosted: November 20th, 2008, 8:55 pm 

Hi...is that Andrew Morrison in Canada perhaps? I remember doing an e-mail communication with you - about some lefty related topic quite a while back.... I see your posts on like for example bassgear...and think to myself, "that's that lefty guy, I think." lol! Well, hi! I have a lot of posts on talkbass, and pics of stuff...

To my left handed brothers and sisters...my batting analogy will interest you. If you haven't already thought about it...here it is, and sorry to those who have already seen it. If you hold a baseball bat on your left shoulder- you bat lefty. Picture yourself holding that bat, and now, without taking your two hands off it, pretend it is morphing into a bass. Slide it down to playing position. You are now a righty bassist! The reverse is true- right shoulder, lefty bassist. I know, it seems weird. I throw lefty, bat righty. Just a strange thing I have thought about for a long time, never had other than a few lefty players to show that to, and it always blows their minds. It's nice to be here, hello to everyone here!

Post subject: to be Left is to be Normal
PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 10:23 am 

Greetings to all!
Does this ever happen to you? You go into a music store, see the bass of your dreams, take it down off the wall and feel stupid trying to pluck it 'cause its a righty, wishing somehow your fairy godmother would materialize, wave her magic wand, and turn it into the left handed confection you've been drooling over so you could happily buy it?

As an example, I just waited 4 months for my Schecter Custom 5 to come in on order, when I have been seeing the right hand version hanging on the wall at my local Guitar Center all that time and have been excitedly taking it down and hopelessly plucking it.

Do you scour music stores whenever you're traveling looking for that one incredible rare lefty jewel? How many times have you gone into the bass area and to your horror realize there are NO lefites at all?
As lefties, I feel we are a discriminated group of bassists who are sometimes made to pay extra for LH and can rarely find the instrument we want. So we are very often forced to compromise...

And then we are told by some that that's not NORMAL to play it "backwards" !! Have you ever had a bass teacher tell you they discourage their beginning students from playing left and try to correct them?
When I started playing at 17, my very first bass was a right hand 1972 Fender Precision strung backwards. I never could intonate it properly.
There's nothing wrong with playing lefty, you just need the right instrument!

To me, a beautiful left handed bass rivals a fine piece of rare jewelry...

Recently, I started making my own basses and hot rodding them out of frustration with what's out there:

Here's a cute story: Being a huge Geddy Lee fan, I wanted a LH Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass. So I shopped around, visited music stores, and finally called the Fender Custom Shop about the possibility of having one made. Well, Fender doesn't make a Lefty Geddy Lee. I got a quote from them for about $4000 street price to build it custom! Now, keep in mind you can buy a righty "off the shelf" for around $600 at your local music store, and they are not rare by any means.

So, I went out and bought parts. I found a replacement Geddy maple neck, got a black LH Jazz Bass body, ordered Geddy Lee replacement pups from Fender, bought a Badass II Bridge, Gotoh black tuners, Rotosound strings, and THEN I started improving it. My good friend Jonesy in Indiana customized a wiring setup with 500k pots. vintage cloth wiring and a Sprague Bumblebee capacitor. I got a motorcycle chopper builder to powder coat the various parts black, and then I designed my own custom pickguard out of raw stock and cut it carefully on a router. The result is a bass that is I feel way cooler than anything Geddy plays and guess what? It's a LEFTY! It's completely blacked out and has a Right Hand neck so the tuners point down. It sounds incredible and plays incredible and it gets a lot of attention whenever I pull it out. It is pretty wild looking in an understated way. I call it the ZiggyLee Jazz Bass and I will never sell mine, as it now has become very personal.

I currently own 8 basses including a Warwick, the most lefty friendly of bass makers.
I am looking for a fretless Warwick 4 Thumb or Corvette if anyone knows of one.
Thanks for listening and peace to all...
Ziggy

PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 10:47 am 
Site Admin

LHBASSIST wrote:
Hi...is that Andrew Morrison in Canada perhaps? I remember doing an e-mail communication with you - about some lefty related topic quite a while back.... I see your posts on like for example bassgear...and think to myself, "that's that lefty guy, I think." lol! Well, hi! I have a lot of posts on talkbass, and pics of stuff...

That's me. :mrgreen:

Havn't posted on bassgear in a long while though. What did we exchange emails about?
Good to have you here!

PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 10:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi Ziggy, thanks for joining us!

Post subject: Re: to be Left is to be Normal
PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 1:45 pm 

ziggyb wrote:
lefty Getty build

Pics!

(without them, it don't exist) :D

PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 2:45 pm 

Here are some quick & easy photos of my "ZL Bass" as I like to call it. It's so blacked out the details don't show up in pictures that well. The last shot is the ZL next to a more or less standard issue Jazz Bass, so you can see the contrast. For a passive bass it has a lot of punch and growl...

Attachments:
ziggylee013.jpg
ziggylee013.jpg [ 54.63 KiB | Viewed 47027 times ]
ziggylee009.jpg
ziggylee009.jpg [ 48.7 KiB | Viewed 47029 times ]
ziggylee002.jpg
ziggylee002.jpg [ 25.16 KiB | Viewed 47024 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next