LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 12th, 2024, 1:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please say hello
PostPosted: April 15th, 2010, 7:04 pm 

Welcome to LeftyBassist everyone!
Glad to have you here.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2010, 7:39 pm 

Hi-

Ibanez SR800LEL, Danelectro DC (1999?).

Question- it looks to me as if Hubert Perry was left handed (from a photo of the JBs at the Apollo, I think) but he's never mentioned in lists- does anyone know?

Cheers-

Rob.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2010, 6:26 am 

Welcome to the forum!

Hubert Perry? Never heard of him, and a Google search only came up with this guy. I doubt he ever played the Apollo ;) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Parry

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2010, 4:49 pm 

Thanks!

Yes- "Jerusalem"- great lyrics, particularly.

But Hubert Perry played on James Brown's "Live at the Apollo"

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus ... o+1962.htm

one of the great live albums.

Anyway, I hope he is a lefty.

Rob.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 11:52 am 

My name is Pete Conrad - I MAY have been signed up as my name. I've been playing bass for thirty years now, started when I was twelve. I've built many of my own basses and in January of 2010 decided to go into business with a few others and we build lefty basses. We do build righties too but our main business is the always forgotten lefty market.

If you want to have an ulcer you should open a guitar building business as it's not quite as easy as it sounds. Suppliers that have no clue what a deadline means, parts that are expensive.

We lefty bassists are the most hearty of the bunch because of the crap we've had to endure. I've owned over forty basses but only a handful have been lefty. Since I was seventeen I decided that I wasn't going to settle for the crappy selection of basses we seem to always have. STILL, in 2010, I can walk into any guitar store and find this: a Dean, black - a MIM or MIK Fender Jazz, sunburst, a MIA Fender Jazz, black or sunburst, and a Kramer.

So, many of my basses have been righties. I turn 'em, file a new nut and be on with it. And that's why I started Scream Basses - to cater to the lefties that want a quality bass without paying too much.

If anyone remembers "The BASSment" on Compuserve in the 90's I was a regular over there.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 3:58 pm 

From one Pete to the next, welcome to the forum. :) Checked out your site/ebay auctions. Cool stuff. It's nice to have another defender of the faith out there.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 9:44 pm 

screambasses wrote:
My name is Pete Conrad

welcome aboard Pete, and great to have another lefty builder here! Please feel most welcome to chime in on threads in the Blueprinting & Bondo forum - the more experience that can be shared with the group here the merrier IMO

Quote:
If you want to have an ulcer you should open a guitar building business as it's not quite as easy as it sounds. Suppliers that have no clue what a deadline means, parts that are expensive.

preach it!!! I can say that I have several custom parts clocked in at over 16 months now and I still have zero replies with any kind of ETD :x needless to say I don't use these folks any more ... but I still want the parts I've already paid for

want an even bigger ulcer than dealing with suppliers? tackle the CNC monster and make your first purchase one that won't be a throw away learning device once you know what you should have bought (or built) in the first place

if you're ever out the Seattle way, consider yourself invited for coffee or a micro brew

all the best,

R

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 6:05 am 

Thanks for the very warm welcome!

Rodent - is there a secret stash of lefty '51 P control covers I need to know about?
I've thought about manufacturing them myself as it seems even Fender doesn't
have any they want to part with.

Looked at your site as well - very nice stuff. It's funny how something the same can
be so different. Are you shooting ReRanch color?

Haven't gotten into the CNC yet. I'd love to have my SS bass CNC'ed, but for now
it's still down and dirty cutting by hand. But that builds character, right?

pete

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 6:40 am 

screambasses wrote:
Rodent - is there a secret stash of lefty '51 P control covers I need to know about?

There it is, the $1,000,000 question we've been asking for years! :lol:

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 8:15 am 

screambasses wrote:
is there a secret stash of lefty '51 P control covers I need to know about?
I've thought about manufacturing them myself as it seems even Fender doesn't
have any they want to part with.

I actually have these custom made to my drawing specs by an unnamed source. My control plates are not your standard Fender part, but instead made of polished stainless and a thickness that matches that of the pickguard materials I use. Since I'm not ordering 10K of these at a time, the cost is significantly higher than the cheap aftermarket 2-hole control plates you can find on-line. This is OK with me, as the added cost is small im comparison to the quality of these parts.

Quote:
Looked at your site as well - very nice stuff. It's funny how something the same can
be so different. Are you shooting ReRanch color?

I sub out all of my finishing work (with the exception of hand applied oil finishes) to a company that also finishes instruments for many of the big name boutique builders. For me it came down to weighing the time it took for me to completely paint and buff out a body versus what a finishing shop charges for a superior quality finish applied by an expert who spends their entire day shooting finishes. it was a no brainer for me, and I receive a body back from the finishing shop quicker than I can finish it myself

Quote:
Haven't gotten into the CNC yet. I'd love to have my SS bass CNC'ed, but for now
it's still down and dirty cutting by hand. But that builds character, right?

exactly 8-)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 9:43 am 

Hi!... Another new bassit at the forum. Very interesting place!
Cheers!

PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to Rob C, Screambass Pete and Ronnie. Great to have you here guys, hope you enjoy the site.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 8:31 am 

hi leftybassist.com

i am a left handed guitarist/bassist and i produce music on computers.

currently i play bass in a band called The Limes and i want to buy a six string asap.

for now please enjoy this what i just found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeyPxfquP_Q

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 6:41 pm 

HI everybody,my name is john from scranton,pa u.s.a,im 41 yrs old and i started playing bass at the age of fifteen,i played in many of bands thru out highschool,mostly hair metal band stuff,i graduated highschool in 1986,so that should tell ya something about the music we played,i kinda took a hiatus from playing for about ten yrs from around 92 thru 2002,ya know the story,boy meets girl the have a kid,and things didnt work out,got a great little 15 yr old daughter out of it!,well ive been back to playing full force since about 2002 and i fell in love with the bass all over again,im really glad that there is a site that is here for us lefty bassists,i have to say ive been reading alot of threads on this site for about a month now,and i have seen nothing but a great group of guys and girls all sharing their love for the bass one way or the other,im gonna go post my pics either here or over at the photo gallery,well talk to ya all soon.

john b

GOD BLESS

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 3:52 am 

welcome to the board :D

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 9:27 am 

funky42 wrote:
HI everybody,my name is john from scranton,pa u.s.a,im 41 yrs old and i started playing bass at the age of fifteen,i played in many of bands thru out highschool,mostly hair metal band stuff,i graduated highschool in 1986,so that should tell ya something about the music we played,i kinda took a hiatus from playing for about ten yrs from around 92 thru 2002,ya know the story,boy meets girl the have a kid,and things didnt work out,got a great little 15 yr old daughter out of it!,well ive been back to playing full force since about 2002 and i fell in love with the bass all over again,im really glad that there is a site that is here for us lefty bassists,i have to say ive been reading alot of threads on this site for about a month now,and i have seen nothing but a great group of guys and girls all sharing their love for the bass one way or the other,im gonna go post my pics either here or over at the photo gallery,well talk to ya all soon.

john b

GOD BLESS

welcome to the board John!

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Welcome to Rude and John B!

Glad you're liking what you've read here John, so far (knock wood) we've been a pretty easy going group of guys. :)

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 8:31 pm 

thanks to all of you for the warm welcome,much appreciated

PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 9:03 am 

Oops, never said hello. HELLO!

My name is Bas, i am Dutch, 41 years old and currently playing in reunited '80 metalband Jackal

I played guitar and bass in the '80 and '90 in some local Amsterdam bands before taking a 10 year break from playing music, touching no instrument until my current bandmembers asked me to join them. Now i'm enjoying it as much as i ever did. I love old school rock/metal in all its forms but also like lots of other stuff. There are some great bands of all sorts out there today.

My basses at this moment:

PostPosted: July 5th, 2010, 10:15 am 

Oh yeah, that's what that Sandberg looked like. I remember now :P
Very pretty! Was it just refinished over the original reliced vintage white, or has the old finish been removed first?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 25  Next