LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 22nd, 2024, 7:57 pm

Post subject: East Coast lefty bassists meet up?
PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 5:12 pm 

Following Thumbslam's comment on the Warwick thread (here viewtopic.php?p=27540#p27540) to "stop by" and try his amazing Warwick collection, I wonder if there is enough interest and enough folks in NY/NJ/PA/CT and surrounding areas for a Lefty bassists meet-up.

Would be great if we could get together for an afternoon, meet, drink and get the chance to play other people's basses.

Bass Specialties in Bensalem could be a good place to meet. I've only met Glenn (that's his name, right?) briefly but I hear he is a super nice guy.

What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: East Coast lefty bassists meet up?
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 8:17 am 

Count me in! I have been at Glenn's shop a number of times, he is a stand up guy! I would love to connect with some lefty players in the area.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 12:27 pm 

I'd be in. It's about a 3 hour drive for me, but that is not too bad and would be worth it.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 3:15 pm 

Really like the idea of a meet-up. This particular one would be a 6-hour drive, so a bit prohibitive. Maybe next time.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 10:58 pm 

I love Glen and his shop not a bad drive for me about an hour and a half. Just to pose a question. Why do you think he would let us come in and "use" his shop for our meeting or get together? I don't want to be a downer but it's a store that sells stuff seems like I would at least feel a little awkward.

If you guys think it's cool and we talk to Glen first then I think it would be great due to the somewhat centralized location. For sure the location for most would be good.

2nd plan I offer...My band has a studio in downtown Lancaster City PA. I have a 1,500 watt SWR SD1500 head into a Mesa 4/12 an Aguilar DB750 into a Mesa Powerhouse 4/10/15 and about 10 nice pedals including the Darkglass B3K and other goodies. We have a stocked fridge. Insane guitar equipment, insane drums and no time limit and a kick ass bar 100 yards away. Maybe out of the way a bit more but I believe the benefits would be worth it. Hell maybe I can get my drummer and guitar players to come over but we could actually jam and take our time and bring more stuff. Just an idea but if we can do a Saturday we can have it all day and night it's my place. I have a nice Protools set up and heck even record some of it. Just an idea....zip there is 17601 if you want to check on location. Any of you guys play guitar or drums all the better.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 12:36 am 

thumbslam wrote:
I love Glen and his shop not a bad drive for me about an hour and a half. Just to pose a question. Why do you think he would let us come in and "use" his shop for our meeting or get together? I don't want to be a downer but it's a store that sells stuff seems like I would at least feel a little awkward.

If you guys think it's cool and we talk to Glen first then I think it would be great due to the somewhat centralized location. For sure the location for most would be good.

2nd plan I offer...My band has a studio in downtown Lancaster City PA. I have a 1,500 watt SWR SD1500 head into a Mesa 4/12 an Aguilar DB750 into a Mesa Powerhouse 4/10/15 and about 10 nice pedals including the Darkglass B3K and other goodies. We have a stocked fridge. Insane guitar equipment, insane drums and no time limit and a kick ass bar 100 yards away. Maybe out of the way a bit more but I believe the benefits would be worth it. Hell maybe I can get my drummer and guitar players to come over but we could actually jam and take our time and bring more stuff. Just an idea but if we can do a Saturday we can have it all day and night it's my place. I have a nice Protools set up and heck even record some of it. Just an idea....zip there is 17601 if you want to check on location. Any of you guys play guitar or drums all the better.

This sounds like the ideal bass-jam situation... nice offer thumbslam! Sure wish I had a deep pocket about the time this all comes together.... with enough cash for airfare and extra luggage (i.e. basses), a nice hotel room, rental van for all of the basses I would want to bring, and lots of additional cash to treat y'all to any-and-all brewpubs in the immediate area!

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 1:19 am 

you don't need to bring any basses maybe that will help fund the trip :D

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 6:50 am 

thumbslam wrote:

Thought Glenn might be interested as a marketing opportunity, and if there's enough of us even perhaps get a couple of lefty basses from the builders he works with, maybe even other freebies (strings?). The guy I study bass with (Patrick Pfeiffer) works with Glenn a lot, I'll ask through him next week.

In any case, with your very tempting offer, it's hard to say no!! My only problem is that would make it a 3.5 hour drive from Brooklyn, which might end up being too much to get there and get back in one day...

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 7:42 am 

This works for me. Bass Specialties was almost 4 hours away, Lancaster is 2.75 hrs for me, might not be able to make it back in an hour. Either way works for me, though obviously I like a shorter drive. Should be a lot of fun! I would have to wait for October, since I will be out of town over some weekends in September.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 7:44 am 

OK I'll wait to hear from you guys..

How about we do both....? :)

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 10:26 am 

thumbslam wrote:
OK I'll wait to hear from you guys..

How about we do both....? :)

Now you are talking! :)

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 8:33 pm 

Obviously, with all of the hours of driving some of you may face, the only logical solution after a day of jamming in the studio, is to push all of the instruments, cabs, and drum aside.... and have a sleep-over! :shock:

Or would it be called a "Man-Over"? :lol: Anyway, all kidding aside, some crash-space would certainly make it easier for those who have a long roundtrip drive to (not) look forward to... what sayest thou thumbslam... any crash spots for your fellow bassists? Of course, it all depends on the number of lefties who would like to come, but might not because of the hours spent on the road...

A little bit of planning could make for a great day of lefty camaraderie... ;)

PostPosted: August 24th, 2012, 7:10 am 

I'm having a bit of shoulder surgery Sept 6th minor stuff but it will take a couple of weeks before I will be back to normal. So I am up for Bass Specialties so I’ll wait to hear from you guys on that. Saturdays are the best for me as long as we don’t have a gig that night. I think I should set a tentative date to start planning something at my studio and maybe anyone who is interested can get back to me. If it works out for at least a couple guys I’ll keep the day/evening open for it.

I’ll put out address later if this comes together but let’s say October 6th that’s the first Saturday in October. I should be fully recovered by then. Anyone interested post it please..Cheers.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2012, 7:16 am 

Sleep over seems like a great idea!!! i'll run it by the wife asap

I could also probably car pool from the NY/NJ area to save up on gas costs if someone is interested.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2012, 1:11 pm 

Sounds Great, I purchased 4 basses from Glenn, I'm sure he would have no problem with us meeting up. Glenn does not stock lefty basses however he is an expert on all the builders (Mike Lull, Valenti ect) for custom orders. His Shop has a nice meeting area towards the back that he hosts for special occasions.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 9:03 am 

Quick update: I exchanged emails with Glenn. He is happy to offer the shop as a meeting place. Unsurprisingly, he doesnt have any lefties in stock to show, but I dont thing thats necessarily a problem.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 5:24 pm 

Lancaster was obviously better for me, but I will come to either. Does Glenn's shops have other equipment (i.e. six stringers and drums? just thinking of a more complete sound?) I'll now just have to line up babysitting. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Though I can't participate I fully support this idea and hope you guys can make it happen.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2012, 5:53 pm 

Ok, so I have found babysitting and I am cleared to go for a meet up on October 6th either at Bass Specialties or at Thumbslam's in Lancaster. Do we have a final decision? Are we definitely doing Glen's place? Also, I am happy to pick up people on the way up who are near I-95 or are in the DC area, just PM to work out details. Looking forward to getting together!

PostPosted: September 12th, 2012, 3:59 pm 

Gentlemen, I recently had rotator cuff surgery. It was much more involved than I had originally thought and the recovery time is going to be much longer. I would still like to have a get together at my studio, but I’m going to have to put it off for a month or two. I’m not only wearing a sling, I’m wearing an immobilizer. This is on for at least another four weeks followed by weeks of physical therapy. I have four shiny new pieces of titanium in my shoulder to hold it all together. So please move forward with the meeting at Bass Specialties as soon as you guys can. As far as my original offer, it still stands but most likely will have to be in November or maybe even December. I will keep everyone posted, thank you for your patience.