LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:55 am

Post subject: Big props to Leftybass.com and Arni!! Plus a mini ramble
PostPosted: July 4th, 2008, 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hey guys, Arni has done a great looking revamp on his site, and has adding a link from his site directly to our site here. That's very awesome and the exact kind of community building we need among the left handed bass players of the world. Pop by Arni's site if you havn't before and check it out.

I'm really glad to see the addition of a group of lefty guys from Europe and other parts of the world besides North America that I believe are hearing about this place through Arni's site, so Arni, a HUGE THANK YOU to you.

Here's a message brought up on Arni's site:

"Arni,
I have been going on leftybassist.com lately. That forum is remarkably dead, the lefty community needs to be much more supportive. When you do your next news update perhaps you should mention that. Hope all is well.
Bart"

I really appreciate that the want to keep this site rolling is out there. I'm all for having this be a very active site and am glad to hear any suggestions anyone has to make it so. Firstly Bart Bruno thanks for your support, and you have the sickest collection of P-Basses I've ever seen and I'm entirely green with envy of your collection. Why not post some pics of your collection here and tell us more about them? Secondly I hope no one feels discouraged by the lack of activity here.
I think that there are some simple realities to the fact that being a left handed bass player puts us in the great minority and really there's only so far we can run with that limitation.
Honestly, while this place may seem very sleepy to many of you, I'm often surprised by how much we have posted. We'll never be a fast moving place like Talkbass, with over 15,000 members. But in comparison to other smaller bass boards like BABP, the BassOutpost or the Dudepit the ratio of our members to new posts shows this board to be moving at a faster pace than those boards. That's certainly not a knock to those boards, but it is a compliment to everyone contributing here. So please don't get discouraged by the quiet here, just try to understand there's only so much we can do with so few of us and let's all be patient with this place and in time we'll gain new members and the pace will pick up...a little bit. :D

But again, I'm all for suggestions to help the board grow. I've been hella lucky with the guys running this place just being awesome about sharing their time here and having a ton of great knowledge to share as well, but this is the first kick at the can for all of us running a bass board, so we don't have all the answers. If you see something this board is missing let us know. This really is a community based site so it's in all our hands to make the board the best it can be.

Post subject: Re: Big props to Leftybass.com and Arni!! Plus a mini ramble
PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 1:31 am 

Hi Andrew,
First,i'm joining you to thank Arni,for the direct link,he is a great guy,and his site is very usefull,for guys like me that are based in Europe.

I'm not surprised by the lack of activities here,i think it is normal in the life of a forum,some hights some lows,one thing is sure:it is always a pleasure to come here,because ,there is a lot of knowledge that is being shared by kind guys,,i'm really not discouraged at all,i'm sure we can do more ,what i have noticed is that we are all crazy about our basses,we have a lot of pics,but no sounds at all !!,we could perhaps open some topics with a review of the bass/or basses we own with some sound sample,i know there are some ways to integrate mini sound reader in a topic,we could have a shout box,or direct chat box,to say just a hello,or to spot an bargain on some auction,we could add a direct monthly chat with audio by Team speak for example,or do some reviews,about the basses available for us Lefties,or the amps we use!
I totally agree with you Andrew there are a lot of things we can do,to make this place more attractive
And i'm really optimistic ;)
It is up to us to make it move!!

Cheers
André

Post subject: Re: Big props to Leftybass.com and Arni!! Plus a mini ramble
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 8:06 am 

Andrew,

Thank you for your kind words. I plan to post some of the photos of my instruments here in the very near future. I expect to get better treatment here than at talkbass.com; several months ago I did a post there regarding my fondness for green basses (I love the retro look of surf, foam, Racing Green, and others), and was absolutely torched by the narrow minded sorts that infest that website! I've not been back there since. You'll be seeing some of those "offensive" instruments soon; I venture to guess that they'll be more appreciated here.

I am concerned with the lack of activity here, as has been the case with the dudepit and elsewhere. What needs to be underscored is the fact that as you mentioned, we are a minority in the music world, and as such must work and stick together, otherwise a good resource will be lost. A good example; I hear many lefties complaining of the lack of quality instruments for us. Both my collection and Arni's (and I'm sure some folks here) underscore what a farce that train of thought is, and one that righties seem to delight in promoting. In my online searches I see pieces that are of interest to the lefty community and forward the information to leftybass.com. I'll be glad to do the same for this site. We lefties have to work a lot harder to obtain instruments, but they're out there; promoting this site will go a long way in getting such instruments into the hands of the lefty community. On a more personal note it's nice to have a site where we're the "normal" people; elsewhere it seems we're oddities. To this day people stare at me when I bring an instrument to a music store to try amps; some treat my presence as a bigfoot sighting! I hope this sight builds more support; it's a good resource and one that can and will benefit our community.

Bart