LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 1st, 2024, 4:55 pm

Post subject: Re: NAMM 2011 pics
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 8:45 pm 

Goodall acoustics. there will be a multi page feature on them in the next Acoustic Guitar mag. He and his son pump out 8 guitars per month.

A baritone sloped-shoulder guitar, which I did not realize was a Baritone until he old me it was! That's what happens when a 35" scale is what's normal for you!!!

Something or 'nuther in killer Koa

Last edited by AzWhoFan on January 18th, 2011, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 8:50 pm 

winner of the "best damned lefty acoustic at the show" award. Santa Cruz. i got to play this after the show closed and the room got quiet. Now I know why people lust after them. the 2nd picture is very representative of the true color of the guitar.

OH BOY! NO LEFTY UPCHARGE!!!!

PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 8:57 pm 

I got to see Otis Taylor and his band on Friday night. If you ever get a chance to see him/them you will not be disappointed. they start off slow and work up to a boiling point in about 20 minutes. Then they take it higher. Trance blues indeed!

PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 9:00 pm 

Coco Montoya jamming with Pete Anderson. Freakin unreal guitarist. I could smell on his breath what he had for dinner.
Multiple beers! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Oh, and that Randall amp in the background was used a lot over the weekend. Kinda Mesa-like, kinda clean Fender like too. Great sonding amp, but i have no clue what model it is.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 9:08 pm 

finally, before my camera crapped out, I got a hold of some Tom Anderson guitars.

I want me one of these. It'll wipe up the floor with just about any Fender Tele it finds. it sports 3 Anderson hum-cancelling P-90's. Mucho spanko in those pups, running throught the EL-84 channel of a /13 JRT-15 (?) head and Bogner cab with a Red Fang ( or was that Red Coat?) speaker.

the Anderson reps kept telling me it was an acoustic guitar. I kept saying "Where?"

PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 9:10 pm 

I also have a bunch of cellphone pics of Pete Anderson & Coco jamming at the same stage in the Marriott hotel as above. Hopefully, I'll get those up if they are any good.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 10:41 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
And on the other side of the booth was Nordstrand. As always Carey (sp) brought some stunners that deserve better photographic skills than i possess. That flamey maple goodness in the middle of the pack was a fretless with more mwah than a herd of cats in heat.

Did Carey bring some of his own designs too, or were there only Nordy's?

AzWhoFan wrote:
Oh, and that Randall amp in the background was used a lot over the weekend. Kinda Mesa-like, kinda clean Fender like too. Great sonding amp, but i have no clue what model it is.

That's one of their RM-series amps, a modular amp system which was designed together with Egnater. You can buy various preamp modules for it which are modeled after existing amps, and some original Randall ones too. Might well have Fender and Mesa modules in it when you heard it :)

PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 11:18 am 

the bear-claw figuring in that barritone acoustic is incredible. I've seen a lot of different examples, but never figuring as stellar as that top set :o

I only recall seeing Carey's J-Bass clones in the line-up, with the two exceptions being his thin-string prototypes.

all the best,

R

PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 11:53 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Prestige guitar. i'm featuring these because they are or will be available left-handed. 60% Canadian, 40% Korean. The head guy used to work for Larrivee before he branched out on his own. He's from Montreal, I'll betcha a dozen Dunkin Donuts Slybass knows him! :lol:

A light-weight semi-hollow body.

Much heavier solid body

Killer inlay work for the $$$

3rd model with a weight-relieved body. i'm guessing it's weight relieved because the weight fell somewhere inbetween the other two models.

I own a lefty Prestige Heritage. Bought it on ebay from a dealer named "acemate" about a month ago for 6 bills and change. I didn't go for the Elite model because I'm not into overly fancy ornate inlay work. It is the best LP copy I've ever played/owned for the same price as those Epis, and far better build/pickups. Stunningly beautiful finish on these too.
Attachment:
2010 Prestige Heritage.jpg
2010 Prestige Heritage.jpg [ 101.19 KiB | Viewed 14521 times ]

PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 11:59 am 

Awesome pix. A couple of items I've been reading about from afar:

1. The new Roland GR-55 guitar/bass synth: supposedly superior tracking latency to the older units, and it also features on board COSM guitar/bass/amp modeling taken from their VG99/VB99 series.

2. The Kitara: another midi guitar which utilizes pressure sensitive fret buttons rather than strings. This technology is nothing new, as the Ztar has been around for decades and even the Casio G20 from the 80's, but the price point on these looks very promising (about $600 street?).

3. Eastwood Magnum bass - did you happen to see any righty models there?

PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 3:33 pm 

pjmuck wrote:

1. The new Roland GR-55 guitar/bass synth: supposedly superior tracking latency to the older units, and it also features on board COSM guitar/bass/amp modeling taken from their VG99/VB99 series.

2. The Kitara: another midi guitar which utilizes pressure sensitive fret buttons rather than strings. This technology is nothing new, as the Ztar has been around for decades and even the Casio G20 from the 80's, but the price point on these looks very promising (about $600 street?).

Saw an incomplete demo of the GR-55. the modelling i heard was cool. Tracking latency claims should be borne out once folks in the real world use it.

Kitara booth was so lound and noisy I avoided it like the plague. All I heard demo'ed were high gain stuff from 100 feet away. Lots of folks were checking it out, it drew large crowds.

Didn't look close enough at the Eastwood booth to notice. Sorry. Tom Bolus may have taken a pic of it. check the BassGear Magazine NAMM page.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 4:30 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

Saw an incomplete demo of the GR-55. the modelling i heard was cool. Tracking latency claims should be borne out once folks in the real world use it.

Kitara booth was so lound and noisy I avoided it like the plague. All I heard demo'ed were high gain stuff from 100 feet away. Lots of folks were checking it out, it drew large crowds.

Didn't look close enough at the Eastwood booth to notice. Sorry. Tom Bolus may have taken a pic of it. check the BassGear Magazine NAMM page.

Thank you for posting all that.

Did you see Industrial Radio with their Midi Bass system?

PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 5:19 pm 

Rodent wrote:
I only recall seeing Carey's J-Bass clones in the line-up, with the two exceptions being his thin-string prototypes.

all the best,

R

It seems as though Carey has almost completely gone away from his own designs and is focused on the Nordy Fenderclones.
I can understand needing to pay the bills and from all accounts the Nordys are topshelf instruments, still, it's a real shame.

Of course I'd imagine that the income from his pickups business outstrips his instrument building . I noticed the new line of Ibanez basses that use his pups, that had to be a major score!

PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 6:44 pm 

One more item I forgot to mention that looks very interesting - The MusicMan Game Changer Series of guitars and basses. I'm guessing they won't be offering lefties anytime soon, but this thing looks pretty amazing. And it's supposedly NOT digital modeling like the Variax:

http://gamechanger.music-man.com/

Here's a demo:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2011 ... _Demo.aspx

PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 8:35 pm 

Hi folks,

Thanks for all of the great coverage - it almost feels like I'm there (ironically I was in Anaheim the week before). Ashdown has a few pics posted on Facebook for those with Amp GAS. Looks like they were directly across from Orange, who also have some new killer-looking combo's:

Ashdown:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 9324345560

Orange:

http://www.orangeamps.com/features.asp?ID=241

Cheers,
Dave

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 1:21 pm 

slybass3000 wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

Thank you for posting all that.

Did you see Industrial Radio with their Midi Bass system?

No i didn't. didn't even think to look for them :oops:

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 2:13 pm 

OK,

Thanks

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 4:48 pm 

Sly's post reminded me of another product i saw. For me, this won the "Most useless product" award. Very difficult to use. Extremely sensitive when you make a fingering (or right-hand) mistake. Tracking was lousy below A regardless of the patch i used. Sonuus. i seem to remember PJ discussing this device (or something similar) in another thread.

And apparently, it's the best of breed for what it does. Makes me wish I had visited the Industrial Radio booth.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 4:20 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Sly's post reminded me of another product i saw. For me, this won the "Most useless product" award. Very difficult to use. Extremely sensitive when you make a fingering (or right-hand) mistake. Tracking was lousy below A regardless of the patch i used. Sonuus. i seem to remember PJ discussing this device (or something similar) in another thread.

And apparently, it's the best of breed for what it does. Makes me wish I had visited the Industrial Radio booth.

Haha,

You know what's funny? I bought that gyzmo about 6 months ago and it is still sealed in the box. It is that attractive ;-).

I was wondering if Steve made it at the NAMM but I have a feeling that the company is down already. Too bad. I need to contact my friend Brian in Vancouver who was a consultant in the development of the MIDI bass.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 6:37 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:

Yeah, that thing is a piece of crap. Not polyphonic, extremely glitchy, and SLOW. I honestly don't know how the guy demoing it in their videos is getting it to track so fast, 'cause no amount of tweaking helped me. :roll: I'm perfectly happy with my piccolo bass/GR-33/Digitech Whammy setup for now, though some day I'd like to get the Industrial Bass. (Which reminds me, sly, you never did do your review. ;) ).