LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:01 am

Post subject: A new book on groove : GROOVE 101
PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 9:00 am 

HI ALL,

I'm very please to announce that my first instructional book for bass is now available. It is called GROOVE 101 and available from the publisher's site here:

http://www.productionsdoz.com/c37813431 ... 846.2.html

It should be available very soon in store in the US and in february for Europe.

It is written in both english and french and comes with a DVD data for storing more then 2 Go of over 1,000 tracks to work with and demos for each groove. It covers a lot of styles from rock to funk and fusion. It is written in standard notation as well as tab edited myself ;).

It is also a great ressource for sound and tone because I have listed a complete compilation of the 15 basses and 8 great sounding micpreamps used for each groove from a Vintage P-Bass or Jazz Bass in a Neve 1073 or API or Chandler as an example.

I truly believe that there is no book like this one on the market. It is the result of 30 years as a studio player and 25 years at teaching bass also at university level. I'm able to bring my experience as a player in an academic form.

You will work on your vocabulary,time,precision,reading,groove,sound,tone and inner clock. This book should keep you busy for years I believe. But the real work is how I make you practice with the drums tracks for each groove that will enable you to improve your rhythm accuracy.

HERE ARE TWO PAGES FROM THE BOOK AS SAMPLES:

Thank you,

Sylvain

Attachments:
demo page 2.jpg
demo page 2.jpg [ 153.89 KiB | Viewed 62452 times ]
groove demo page 1.jpg
groove demo page 1.jpg [ 158.31 KiB | Viewed 62452 times ]

Last edited by slybass3000 on January 9th, 2011, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: A new book on groove : GROOVE 101
PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 11:00 am 

Sly, that looks way cool!!!

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 11:22 am 

Thanks a lot. I'm working on my second one called Technique 101;

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 3:40 pm 

Looks great, but sort of pricy for a book. I guess if you say it's as good as it is then it is probably worth it. Been looking for a book to really hammer out more solid grooves. Will think about this one

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 4:28 pm 

blankrider wrote:
Looks great, but sort of pricy for a book. I guess if you say it's as good as it is then it is probably worth it. Been looking for a book to really hammer out more solid grooves. Will think about this one

At first glance, that might seem expensive for a bass instruction book. But, consider you are getting thirty years of gigging and studio experience, with a CD of drum tracks, and information on how the bass was recorded - all valuable when thinking of how you want your bass to sound if you eventually decide to record yourself.

The thing to consider is what the average bass lesson costs these days by someone of slybass3000's caliber. Typically, you will pay $60 to $100, just for one lesson! Consider all that you get in his bass lesson book for the price of one lesson, and there's no doubt his book is worth the price. That book is worth Thousands of dollars in actual lessons!

Seems like an incredible deal when you think about it. Plus, you'll have it as a reference for years to come... think of it as six trips to McDonalds, or whatever your favorite burger joint is. Buy the book, and make one less trip per month to said burger joint - you'll be doing your musical career a favor, as well as reducing your fat/calorie/sugar intake... never mind, health isn't the issue here, your musical education is!

Food for thought...... :D

Last edited by fivebass52 on January 9th, 2011, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 5:02 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
blankrider wrote:

At first glance, that might seem expensive for a bass instruction book. But, consider you are getting thirty years of gigging and studio experience, with a CD of drum tracks, and information on how the bass was recorded - all valuable when thinking of how you want your bass to sound if you eventually decide to record yourself.

The thing to consider is what the average bass lesson costs these days by someone of slybass3000's caliber. Typically, you will pay $60 to $100, just for one lesson! Consider all that you get in his bass lesson book for the price of one lesson, and there's no doubt his book is worth the price. That book is worth Thousands of dollars in actual lessons!

Seem like an incredible deal when you think about it. Plus, you'll have it as a reference for years to come... think of it as six trips to McDonalds, or whatever your favorite burger joint is. Buy the book, and make one less trip per month to said burger joint - you'll be doing your musical career a favor, as well as reducing your fat/calorie/sugar intake... never mind, health isn't the issue here, your musical education is!

Wow Fivebass52,

You did say it better then I would of ;)

BTW It is a DVD Data that comes with it holding 2.3 Go of tracks.That's a lot of cd's.

The other thing is that my editor told me it might be few bucks more expensive for the US market compared to similar books but I think there are no books like that. Plus,for Europe market, apparently at this price it is a steal !!!

So, thank you for looking and if someone is interested to buy it, I can sell it directly to you with a discount. $50 including shipping in US and Canada.

Sylvain

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 5:09 pm 

blankrider wrote:

Blankrider,

I garantee you that you'll get your money worth,

Compared to the average bass book, this one is truly like a complete course. For the ones that don't know theory,I wrote a whole chapter for them with a good chunk of useful infos about notes,rhythms,written music and chords also. I think it is well detailed and I suggest you to go on the editor's site and download the sample page. It will give you an idea about the material in it.

Thank you for looking,

Sylvain

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 5:44 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
blankrider wrote:

Seem like an incredible deal when you think about it. Plus, you'll have it as a reference for years to come... think of it as six trips to McDonalds, or whatever your favorite burger joint is. Buy the book, and make one less trip per month to said burger joint - you'll be doing your musical career a favor, as well as reducing your fat/calorie/sugar intake... never mind, health isn't the issue here, your musical education is!

I only eat off the dollar menu :P But in all seriousness, you are right. I actually misread the price :roll: and thought it cost more than it does. 50$ for the book isn't bad at all, i will strongly consider it.

Also Sly, can you please link me to the page you told me to visit. The site there is in french and well, i don't know french lol. Plus im in the car right now so that doesn't help my low desire to browse the web for it :P

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 6:51 pm 

Hi blankrider

Here is the address that i posted in the thread. Click in the top right of the window to view english version if needed.

I totally understand about the french barrier...LOL

Good luck and if you are interested, I can ship it directly to you instead of buying it in store or site but for now I would only accept money order 'cuz my site is not running yet.

Sylvain

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 7:11 pm 

slybass3000- thanks for the kudos! You just might be able to tell I was in the sales arena for a number of years.... :lol:

I was able to get the jist of your webpage by copying the text, and translating it through babelfish.com. Was trying to find info on a CD, but I like the DVD idea instead - much more info to pass on with one disc!

blankrider wrote:
I only eat off the dollar menu :P But in all seriousness, you are right. I actually misread the price :roll: and thought it cost more than it does. 50$ for the book isn't bad at all, i will strongly consider it.

Funny comeback! But $50 is a great deal on this, and thanks to Slybass3000 for offering it to us! As soon as I rebound from the Holidays a bit more on my finances, I'll be taking him up on his offer. I hope the book sells well for you Slybass! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 7:13 pm 

slybass3000 wrote:
Hi blankrider

Here is the address that i posted in the thread. Click in the top right of the window to view english version if needed.

Good luck and if you are interested, I can ship it directly to you instead of buying it in store or site but for now I would only accept money order 'cuz my site is not running yet.

Sylvain

Here is the actual page in English...

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 8:31 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
slybass3000 wrote:
Hi blankrider

Sylvain

Here is the actual page in English...

Hey thanks for posting it, fivebass52. I did change it in the first post also.

If I ever need a manager or an agent,I should check with you first ;)

Thanks for your help on this. It is greatly appreciated,

Sylvain

PostPosted: January 10th, 2011, 3:26 am 

Sylvain - thanks very much! Been in the business of showing the positive to potential clients and customers for years. Happy to help show the way to musical enlightenment...

PostPosted: January 10th, 2011, 6:24 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
Sylvain - thanks very much! Been in the business of showing the positive to potential clients and customers for years. Happy to help show the way to musical enlightenment...

LOL

Which field if not to indiscreet to ask?

PostPosted: January 10th, 2011, 2:58 pm 

Sylvain, Is the availability of Groove 101 the same as Europe for Australia? do I need to wait until feb to purchase it.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2011, 4:08 pm 

slybass3000 wrote:
fivebass52 wrote:

LOL

I've sold everything from health club memberships to eye-ware; worked for Honda selling motorcycles, generators, lawn mowers, chainsaws; carpet and flooring products; Hawaiian jewelry; hot tubs; was a manufacturer's rep for sports apparel, selling to all the major department stores etc.; went to many seminars on selling techniques.

I think the first real public/selling opportunity I was in was working in a small sidewalk Greek cafe' just outside of Waikiki. Talking vacationers from the midwest into eating marinated sliced octopus was the start of my "gift of gab". By the time I was done describing the herbs, spices, feta cheese, oils, and pita bread, and how that all tasted, they already knew how good it was. It was just a matter of putting that first bite in their mouth! Most came to the window looking for a hotdog, and went away raving about octopus to their friends back home, who looked us up when they came on their vacation. Ah, the powers of suggestion.....

Now, my selling experiences help me in my work as a finish carpenter, as I work with people, and describe the end result of the work they want done. I've learned that having a good vocabulary really helps paint mental pictures, and calms peoples nerves when they at first don't understand the processes needed for completing the work.

Anyway, I like to think about how to present information in a logical, concise way, so it's easily understood. So there you are... aren't you glad you asked?! :?

PostPosted: January 10th, 2011, 6:12 pm 

leftieray wrote:
Sylvain, Is the availability of Groove 101 the same as Europe for Australia? do I need to wait until feb to purchase it.

Thank you for asking.

I think the best and fastest way would be to order from the site here:

If not,I can sell it directly to you also for $50 us with money order only, since my bass site is not running yet.

We haven't talked about Australia yet for distribution but ordering from the editor will be faster.

If you need more info, let me know,

Sylvain

PS Do you know Steve Chick from Industrial Radio,the inventor of the MIDI Bass?

He is in Botany. Do you know if they had problems with floods over there?

Last edited by slybass3000 on January 10th, 2011, 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2011, 6:21 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
slybass3000 wrote:
fivebass52 wrote:

LOL

I've sold everything from health club memberships to eye-ware; worked for Honda selling motorcycles, generators, lawn mowers, chainsaws; carpet and flooring products; Hawaiian jewelry; hot tubs; was a manufacturer's rep for sports apparel, selling to all the major department stores etc.; went to many seminars on selling techniques.

I think the first real public/selling opportunity I was in was working in a small sidewalk Greek cafe' just outside of Waikiki. Talking vacationers from the midwest into eating marinated sliced octopus was the start of my "gift of gab". By the time I was done describing the herbs, spices, feta cheese, oils, and pita bread, and how that all tasted, they already knew how good it was. It was just a matter of putting that first bite in their mouth! Most came to the window looking for a hotdog, and went away raving about octopus to their friends back home, who looked us up when they came on their vacation. Ah, the powers of suggestion.....

Now, my selling experiences help me in my work as a finish carpenter, as I work with people, and describe the end result of the work they want done. I've learned that having a good vocabulary really helps paint mental pictures, and calms peoples nerves when they at first don't understand the processes needed for completing the work.

Anyway, I like to think about how to present information in a logical, concise way, so it's easily understood. So there you are... aren't you glad you asked?! :?

Hahahaha

That is an impressive chunk of experience right there !

Then, I do hope that if you get the book you'll enjoy it because this is how I try to present the material in my courses and in this book.

I'm glad I asked :-)

PostPosted: January 11th, 2011, 8:36 pm 

Sylvain, am I correct to assume that at this time you only want a money order? That's fine with me. Please answer a couple more questions.......... You said it comes with a dvd, correct? What else is it packaged with? Thanks and this sounds like a great book.
Steve

PostPosted: January 11th, 2011, 9:37 pm 

Sylvain, I don't know Steve Chick personally, but am aware of his work. Botany is on the coast near Sydney a fair distance from the floods.
The floods are in Queensland and Northern New South Wales.
I'll go and order Groove 101 through the site address you posted.
thanks Leftieray