LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 6:10 am

Post subject: $7.00 "sticker" Blocks
PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 5:42 am 

OK, I know this is cheesy big time but I have been having issues keeping focused on what fret I’m on playing up high on the neck of my Warwick 6 string. The side dots on this bass are a little hard to see normally but get up close and put your head down towards the neck and I’m lost. :oops: So this was a cheap way to help I thought and this guy is on eBay and these were 12 dollars including shipping from Japan.

There is a bunch of completely stupid ones like dragons and crap like that but these were the closest thing to traditional as I could find. Yes up close 3 inches away in direct light you can see they are stickers but from 2 feet away they look pretty damn cool I think and they peel off later...

Attachments:
P1010610.JPG
P1010610.JPG [ 97.04 KiB | Viewed 7062 times ]
P1010609.JPG
P1010609.JPG [ 112.37 KiB | Viewed 7067 times ]
P1010608.JPG
P1010608.JPG [ 103.79 KiB | Viewed 7060 times ]
 Post subject: Re: $7.00 "sticker" Blocks
PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 6:51 am 

I sometimes have a hard time seeing where I'm at on the fretboard, several portions of our show are dimly lit, plus, the Hofner has no side dots and the Ric's are very tiny. I never look at the fingerboard itself(I'm usually singing) but I do add larger side dots, I use a hole-punch on any old sticker I have around, makes a nice round dot that I stick onto the side of the neck.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 7:03 am 

Nice. They certainly look convincing in the photos. I wonder how durable they'll be over time?

I'd actually like to find some side marker stickers, since one of my fretless necks is a flipped righty and only has them on the right side. Hole puncher stickers would be too big for my needs.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 7:25 am 

Well this guy sells side dots front dots almost anything you can think of. There is a couple of sellers on eBay with this type of product. I went with this guy because the stickers are soooo thin kind of like almost a metalic sheet thinner than paper not like thick vinyl. You can't feel them at all so far. I bought these for the front because when I play this guy I'm sitting on my practice bench hunched over like Shreck and I can't see the top of the fretboard because I'm playing chords and stuff up high..

Here is the guy. Worth it for sure..Took about a week to get from Japan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 7:25 am 

Wow, those look great... I guess I didn't even know something like that was available.

Very cool... and if it helps, who cares if they're just stickers.

I'm a side-dot guy myself... I never really look at the finger board when I'm playing either.

It's not just because I sing a lot... it's more because my big-ass beer gut pushes my bass out too far and I can't see it anyway. :lol:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 7:47 am 

That guy's got a few nice products, including custom engraved truss rod covers (lefty), F holes, and competition Mustang stripes. Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 9:56 am 

I can also recommend florescent colored nail-polish for the side dots. They are easy to see on dark stages. I use Manic-Panic but I guess anything will work that shows up under stage lights. (I'm not being sarcastic here. I do use it.)

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Agent00Soul wrote:
I can also recommend florescent colored nail-polish for the side dots. They are easy to see on dark stages. I use Manic-Panic but I guess anything will work that shows up under stage lights. (I'm not being sarcastic here. I do use it.)

I've done this, but I bought a glow in the dark nail polish, and being near Halloween again it's easier to find this time of year.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Does he also have black block "inlay" stickers?

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 10:34 am 

andrew wrote:
Does he also have black block "inlay" stickers?

Yup....

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAZZ-BASS-Block-BP- ... 3511wt_907

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 3:10 pm 

I bought LED lights from http://www.fretfx.com about two years ago, and have been using them ever since. The picture shows them a little brighter than normal, but they work very well, and look like they're installed. About $80, and you can find the replacement batteries easily, although they do last for a long time. The lights come in several different colors - red, green, blue, the last time I checked. They press right on to the side of the neck. Haven't had a problem with mine at all.

Looking from top:

Last edited by fivebass52 on October 28th, 2010, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 3:47 pm 

Ok, so my wife just saw my bass and asked me "what did you do to that nice bass? It looks like you took it to Pep Boys. What's next a tree air freshiner?" I thought maybe mud flaps next.... :(

PostPosted: October 28th, 2010, 3:53 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
I bought LED lights from http://www.fretfx.com about two years ago, and have been using them ever since. The picture shows them a little brighter than normal, but they work very well, and look like they're installed. About $80, and you can find the replacement batteries easily, although they do last for a long time. The lights come in several different colors - red, green, blue, the last time I checked. They press right on to the side of the neck. Haven't had a problem with mine at all.

:shock: Wow, what a neat idea!