LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 4:39 pm

Post subject: 2nd Annual Lefty Bass Day
PostPosted: September 18th, 2010, 11:53 am 

Anybody going or already there? Would love to see pix and find out what's there.

Post subject: Re: 2nd Annual Lefty Bass Day
PostPosted: September 18th, 2010, 12:47 pm 

I was there, but did not take any pictures. Arni did, however, and I'm sure they'll be on his website soon.
It was fun, I had a good time talking to other lefties, but I mostly spoke to the other Dutch guys over there (who I already knew: Sef Coppens and PP van Kouteren). Not as many visitors as last year, quite possibly because not as much effort was put in promotion of the event. Arni and CMS Music do seem to have plans for a 3rd issue next year though, and more attention will be paid to the promotion in different bass player media like magazines, websites and forums.

As for basses, there was still a lot of interesting stuff! The stock of lefty basses at CMS is still very impressive (not much change since last year). I especially had a lot of fun with the '81 Ibanez RS924 that belongs to Stephanie Weidner, the daughter of the owner of CMS, and a Sandberg California MM5.

The most notable instruments that were brought along by Arni and visitors: Arni had brought his Fender Mustang (maple board!), pre-EB MM Stingray, '82 Rickenbacker 4003, '72 Fender Telecaster Bass and his custom Waja bass. Sef, who is also a member here, had also brought a Mustang (his lake placid blue Competition Mustang that aged to a beautiful dark green), and a Musicmaster and his custom Mosrite copy by Dutch luthier Gun Guitars (with some original Mosrite parts, but most hardware and the pickup were custom made for this specific instrument. Awesome bass!). I had brought my two Ibanez Musicians, my '08 Rickenbacker 4003 (I liked the playability of Arni's '82 better, the neck width and stringspacing were a bit narrower at the nut), my MIJ '75 Jazz reissue with Audere and my Stingray 5. And there was a display of German bass builder Marleaux, which were very impressive instruments with exceptional attention to detail. Very nice!

So I had a good time, despite the very low amount of visitors :)

PostPosted: September 19th, 2010, 11:59 am 

Dear LeftyBassist.com members, hi Jeroen!
Thanks to Jeroen for the review and the visit to our LBD. I was glad to see you and all the other lefties here in Germany.
Yes, CMS and I were very busy in front of the LBD by some other projects. CMS with creating this great Rheingold amps and cabs (I like them very much! What you you think, Jeroen?) and I for myself with a new step in my dayjob.
But this 2. LBD gave me so much power to do a next and 3. Lefty Bass Day! I will get in touch with some great lefty bassists and ask them to get there support for a headliner. As soon as Jürgen Weidner and I find a new date for it, the plannings will begin.
I was so glad to see friends from the Netherlands, Germany and Gunnar Thiessen, who drove hundrets kilometers (nearly 1.000!) from Danmark! By this way, he bought a fantastic and unbelieveable 5string Bassline bass for a very special LBD-price! I will post pictures very soon on my website. This bass is incredible!
I myself felt in love with the Marleaux basses! I know Gerald Marleaux for now 10 years, but now it´s the moment to order one. Just in this moment I spend my holidays next to Clausthal-Zellerfeld, were Marleaux bass is located. I will visit him next days to choose the woods. I attached a picture of his LBD collection. What do you think?
Thanks for your intrest!

Arni

Attachments:
Marleaux_Lefties.jpg
Marleaux_Lefties.jpg [ 168.32 KiB | Viewed 6878 times ]
PostPosted: September 20th, 2010, 8:08 am 

That Gene Simmons Axe bass is a Marleaux? Seems a bit incongruous compared to everything else on display. But how cool to see a lefty!

I checked out Marleaux basses at the Winter NAMM show this year and was sufficiently blown away. Awesome instruments.

Wish I could be at Bass Day, Arni. :(

PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 11:23 am 

Yes,
this bass is a custom made Marleaux, created for german bass player Roland Prüfer! Unique in this world!
I will visit Gerald Marleaux on Thursday.
If you are intrested in pictures of the Lefty Bass Day 2010, please check out my website http://www.leftybass.com. I just post them.

Attachments:
43.jpg
43.jpg [ 54.39 KiB | Viewed 6772 times ]
PostPosted: September 21st, 2010, 11:23 pm 

LOL

I'm a lousy slapper. But it sounded awesome through that Tecamp Bad Bull :P. That amp amazed me last year, and this year again. Wow!

Hey Arni, did you also take a picture of those three eighties Ibanez basses in a row ('81 MC924, '81 RS924, '83 MC924)? That was such a cool sight!

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 9:47 am 

Arni wrote:
Yes of the Lefty Bass Day 2010, please check out my website http://www.leftybass.com. I just post them.

Arni, I'm not finding the pix. Are they in a specific section somewhere?

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 11:08 am 

In the upper left corner, there is a link marked '2. LBD'. That's the one :)

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2010, 1:06 pm 

It was a great day!

PostPosted: September 25th, 2010, 5:01 am 

Just got this picture from PP van Kouteren (the bald guy holding my Stingray 5 in the pic above):

Very cool to see those three Ibanez basses in a row. From left to right: '81 MC924, '83 MC924, '81 RS924 and my '03 Stingray 5.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2010, 11:39 am 

Sorry for the delay! But I was out of home and now I´m working for a new update.
Thanks for posting PP´s great picture of the Ibanez basses! Jeroen, if you come to my home with your Ibanez MC924´s, we will have 3 of them in a row.
To pjmuck: You will find currend importend informations on the index.page of http://www.leftybass.com

Hey, I orderd another dream bass! It´s a Marleaux Consat Signature with special features. It will take 6 month to get it. Enough time to collect the money! More information on my next update.

For the next Lefty Bass Day in 2011 I will try to get a great headliner. We will see who of the proms will support us.

Thanks to my dutch friends for all support and the informations on this board!