LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 7th, 2024, 9:10 am

Post subject: A real beginner...suggestions please....
PostPosted: July 11th, 2010, 10:43 am 

Hey everyone....Matt turned me onto this site from TalkBass....nice to see a site for us Leftys...

After doing some searching I have pulled the trigger on a Squier Lefty Bass, it should be here in the next few days. I have searched the net for "beginner lessons" and a ton of other searches to try to learn the basics and after a few days of doing this, I finally thought I would ask the fellow lefty Bass community for your suggestions.

-First, I have never played and instrument in my life....love music...all types, and have always loved the bass, bet never got past tapping my foot. I am clueless regarding, notes, cords, etc.....I have memorized the strigs, EADG, but besided that, I have no idea of how or where to start. But willing to put the time in.

-I would like to learn the bass. But I will need instruction the same as if I was an 8 year old...I know nothing, and am looking for a resouce online where I can learn the basics of the basics, and progess in a comprehensive manner. If there is something out there that can be used specifically for lefty's, that would be huge bonus. I would like to learn with the least amount of frustration, and at the same time, learn it correctly.

Hope this makes sense....I have seen some online videos for beginners and after about a minute, it sounds like they are speaking a different language. I am very excited to get started, and know that to become a good bass player takes time and practice. But thought I would ask you guys what sites are best, for a beginner like me, to make my jouney as enjoyable as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Don

Post subject: Re: A real beginner...suggestions please....
PostPosted: July 11th, 2010, 11:10 am 

I'm a completely self-taught bass player, and learned alot through my experiences with jazz band and playing with really good players. The biggest thing that helped me get off the ground was the Hal Leonard series. There's 3 books but they sell them combined in a big book that's like 20$. It covers many styles, gives tab + sheet music, and covers theory. Learning to read sheet music is a must, as I have found it's what sets me apart from bass players that are the same level as me but can't read. Theory comes with playing and listening.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2010, 3:29 pm 

If at all possible, find a teacher- even just a guitar player (?). There are so many bad habits you can get into starting off. Even if it is a mate or relative...

But I also agree with the Ed Friedland/ Hal Leonard book (3 vols in one version)- very good place to start.

Rob.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2010, 3:39 pm 

Unfortunately it takes a good bit of time sitting around plucking away sounding not so good at first. You need to have discipline and play every day. No matter how musical your ear is or how great your ideas are or natural ability there is several areas to do much work in. Fortunately there is no music police who will beat you down for not doing it correctly but you have to work on several things at once in the begging to progress. My music teacher in high school said to me many times even Jimmy Page had to practice 4 or more hours a day for years to become the player and song writer he is. I just watched an interview with Jeff Beck and he said to the reporter he keeps a Strat next to his bed and still has to play every day. Even if it’s only 5 minutes I don’t ever let a day go by without playing. I have basses all over the house so there are no excuses. I don’t even practice plugged in that often.
You need to build strength in your hands, calluses, and endurance. Tons of simple hand and chromatic exercises to do. Doesn’t matter what you learn if you simply can’t play it because your hands are weak or you’re whining about a little blister, knowledge alone won’t get you home.
Your timing as a bass player is crucial so practicing with a metronome kind of sucks but a cheap drum machine is great. You can almost skate by if your bass is in tune and you can play the root notes of the chords if your timing is killer.
Learn how to play with a bass that is set up and in tune. You will develop your ear and know what notes sound like what. My first teacher also stressed knowing all the notes on the neck in every position.
Now I have been playing 25+ years and I have soaked up information from everywhere. Lessons, bass player magazine, DVD’s, YouTube and well the most effective means of learning for me was having some really great trained players around me and I asked questions. Being left handed has always been a blessing to me because when I face another bass player or guitarist who is right handed our necks mirror each other and you can match it right up. Playing with guys better than you will always push you and motivate you to get better and better if the guys are cool. Everybody sucked at one point so don’t worry about guys who are arrogant just ignore it and move on.
I never learned correct technique or theory till many years after I was already playing and had to work backwards for years so starting out with the right people will help you move along much faster. Bass playing didn’t come easily to me at first I sucked for a long time and had to really work at it but the one thing I have going for me is I absolutely love it. I read about Phil Chen who is one of my ALL TIME favorite bass players when he recorded with Jeff Beck and he felt he was totally out classed and had no idea what he was going to play on those albums with Jeff but man oh man they are some of my favorite bass lines of all time. You can feel the groove like a hammer to the skull. Wish I was good enough to do it for a living but that doesn’t even matter to me anymore. My delusions of being a rock star and making it big are all gone away but I’m still playing more than ever. If you love it stick with it. Music is the only form of communication that breaks all boundaries. No matter what language you speak or who or what you are if you can play music you can talk to anyone. Don’t let your bass get dusty that’s the most important thing stick with it and good luck. 8-)

Jeff Beck Blow by Blow wow what a recording..I toasted a few brain cells listening to that album...

Last edited by thumbslam on July 11th, 2010, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2010, 3:55 pm 

get in and learn 12 bar blues patterns and a couple of turnarounds

PostPosted: July 11th, 2010, 8:15 pm 

Ooo ooo ooo 12 bar blues....PLEASE LEARN THE PROGRESSION AND HOW TO WALK ONE. I've been to many bass camps / played with people who didn't even know what a 12 bar was or how to walk in general. I find that a 12 bar is something all musicians can relate to and has led to many sick jams on my part

PostPosted: July 14th, 2010, 9:52 am 

There is a wonderful tool called the Amazing Slow Downer. It comes included with most, if not all Hal Leonard books that ship with a CD.

With it you can alter pitch without altering the tempo, alter tempo without altering pitch, or alter pitch and tempo at the same time. I wish this tool had been around when I learned bass in the old analog days. I started off by lifting the arm on a turntable until i wore a hole in the grooves of my LP's.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 10:32 pm 

Hey

For folks who used the Ed Friedland's Hal Leonard Method to start, just wondering, did you guys go through the whole book? How long did it take? How far along did you get before you started feeling pretty comfortable with the bass?

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 11:24 pm 

The great thing with bass playing is that you can quickly know enough to play 3 chords tune along with some guitar player friends and have a blast. From there, the progression is unlimited and there is so much to explore especially if you have some eclectic musical tastes. The more advanced you get, the more you realize how little you know and how much more you can learn. My advice: Take at least a dozen lessons with a good teacher. That way, you don't take bad habits from the get go.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 8:50 am 

All great advice. Play with people as soon as you can. I played with a drummer for the first time a couple weeks ago. I've got a long way to go with my timing. Just stick with it.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 8:59 am 

I think that lessons are a really good idea for at least the beginning to learn the fundamentals. Check around for a teacher or music school. It gives you direction, you don't learn wrong things (assuming it's a good teacher obviously) and you will have deadlines to create disciple for practicing. Good luck!!

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Two most basic things I recommend is simply practicing strumming or plucking (depending on it you're a pick or finger player) a lot just to build your hand strength, calluses and coordination. I'm talking as rudimentary as pressing one fret and droning on it. Do this for a while and you'll get a sense of hand attack, playing hard and soft and making your notes sound clean, clear and pleasant.

Another thing I always recommend to beginning players is to memorize all the notes on the neck. Once you know where to play any note on the neck in different places, you'll start to understand how the strings relate to each other and this will help you better understand scales and ergonomic playing.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2010, 8:03 am 

Welcome aboard! I've had a bass for about 3 years but have only been seriously playing for a little over a year so we're in the same boat. Here's my 2 cents....

Buy some time with a teacher, just to get the "bassics" lol, and know what not to do. Also, gobble up any book you can find on bass... Ed Friedland (as suggested by others) are good books, get the DVDs with the books as well. I'd also go on youtube and check out lessons, they may be helpful.

Also, practice, practice, practice...I dont sound the greatest but I have fun at what I do so I guess that's the important thing. If you dont enjoy it, then why do it right? Before long, you'll play with the best of them and want more basses and bigger amps and such... it's an addiction ;).

--b