LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 6:14 am

Post subject: RIP Marvin Isley
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 2:31 pm 

Marvin Isley died Sunday night right here in Chicago, and my heart is certainly heavy. :cry: He was & will always be one of my all time biggest influences on the bass. Marvin was the engine room that propelled the Isley's heavy bottom end groove, and I was completely captivated by their 3+3 era sound. I have spent so many hours practicing Marvin's funk/ rock bass riffs from so many Isley Brothers jams that I can't count them all. If you have not heard their double platinum 1977 album "Go For Your Guns" you need to do so, TODAY. It is an absolute tour de force of heavy rock influenced funk jams with hendrix-isms. One of my top 10 badass albums of all time...

Anyway, this is shaping up to be a suck year for losing bass players. I guess we're all getting older.

Here's a bio:

Marvin Isley, 56, the bassist who helped the rhythm 'n' blues vocal trio the Isley Brothers reinvent themselves as a self-contained band and was featured on such hits as "That Lady," "Fight the Power," "Choosey Lover" and "Between the Sheets" died June 6 at a hospice in Chicago from complications of diabetes. Marvin joined the Brothers in 1972 when they were already well established as one of the most influential acts in soul and rock.

The original Isley Brothers trio, Ronald, Rudolph and O'Kelly Isley started as a Cincinnati gospel group in 1955, and the influence of the "church wrecking" style could be heard on such early hits as "Shout" (1959) and "Twist and Shout"(1962). They briefly hired young guitarist Jimmy James (Jimi Hendrix) for their road band in 1966, and started their own record company, T-Neck Records. Anyone who was around in the late 1960s probably heard (or danced to) the Isleys' biggest hit in that era, "It's Your Thing" which was ubiquitous on the radio in 1968.

All that happened before younger brothers Marvin and Ernie joined the group.

In 1973, the trio added brothers Marvin on bass, Ernie on guitar and drums, and brother-in-law, Chris Jasper on organ. As a sextet and a self-contained band, they recorded the album "3+3" which included the hit "That Lady" (which most of us recall as "Who's That Lady?"). The infectious song, with Marvin Isley's kinetic bass grooves and Ernie Isley's stunning, Hendrix-influenced guitar work, gave notice of how mainstream soul was changing under the influence of Hendrix and rock-infused funk bands like like the Isely Brothers. From 1975 to 1980, the 3+3 era Isley Brothers had 14 Top 10 R&B records, including “Fight the Power Part 1,” “Harvest for the World,” and “Livin’ in the Life.”

In 1984, the three younger members left to form Isley/Jasper/Isley. Eventually, Marvin and Ernie rejoined the Isley Brothers, although Marvin retired from active performing in the 1990s when he was diagnosed with diabetes. The illness eventually forced doctors to amputate both his legs.

All six Isleys were inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame in 1992.

Attachments:
album-go-for-your-guns.jpg
album-go-for-your-guns.jpg [ 48.61 KiB | Viewed 5224 times ]
isley brothers 3+3.jpg
isley brothers 3+3.jpg [ 62.42 KiB | Viewed 5221 times ]
 Post subject: Re: RIP Marvin Isley
PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 1:02 am 

Thanks for posting this Carmine. Another great one passes on... I'll go get the Album/CD on your recommendation.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 9:35 am 

F@ck me, that's horrible news!! I had no clue he was so ill. Marvin was badass to the bone and will be sorely missed. R.I.P.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

RIP Marvin Isley, thank you for the music you gave us.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 2:06 pm 

RIP... :(

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 9:26 am 

Sadness :cry:
R.I.P. Marvin and thank you for all the great music.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 11:17 am 

So many musicians aren't living past middle age! It's scary!!

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 12:34 pm 

Yes it is scary, and by all accounts Marvin did not live an abusive lifestyle, although I'm not an expert on Diabetes. No matter what, 56 is way too young!

I was doing the quick math: at 56 years old, Marvin was born in 1954; the album "3+3" (which included the hit "Whose That Lady") came out in 1973, so Marvin (the youngest of the brothers) was only 19 when he made his recording debut, and he was already one badass bass player. Growing up in a house full of musicians probably didn't hurt any. No doubt Ernie drew alot of his guitar playing inspiration from that "Jimmy James" guy who lived at their house for awhile....

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 7:54 pm 

i remember reading an article about how tough of a taskmaster the oldest brother was to Marvin and Ernie. He made it so tough for them to get and stay in the band that the youngun's had to practice their balls off 24x7.

I think all that practice paid off ......