LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 1st, 2024, 1:12 pm

Post subject: HATING the new Harmony Central!
PostPosted: May 5th, 2010, 10:19 pm 

Just spouting off here. Anyone else checked out HC lately? What a colossal cluster-f*ck this site has become. They've revamped the overall look and how you search their databases. Overcomplicated, confusing, and significantly less user-friendly now. Why do people insist on screwing around with formats that were perfectly fine to begin with? :x Takes 10 times longer to search a product now because you've got to answer a series of sub-menu questions first when looking up a product, which, more often than not, eliminates certain models if they don't happen to fall into the perfect combo of sub-categories. Latest news/press releases are no longer compiled into specific categories either (i.e. new bass products being under "bass" or new effects being under "effects"...duh), it's just one huge conglomeration of news on the main page that you'd have to scroll through to find bass-specific articles. What else? No search engine (that I can find) in the classifieds section, so the days of simply typing in "lefty" to see what's out there are gone.

Such a shame. I find the site practically useless now.

Post subject: Re: HATING the new Harmony Central!
PostPosted: May 6th, 2010, 4:17 am 

Well it's a free site, can't really do anything about it. Just have to live with it or boycot it. I boycot Wendy's nowadays because a meal costs you over 7 bucks. I'll go get a fat sub for that kind of coin.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2010, 7:57 am 

PJ, I couldn't agree more. It even took them 2 weeks to create a link to their archived gear reviews. IMO, HC really blew it big time. I won't be going back there but once a month or so to see if they improve the site.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2010, 8:31 am 

Couldn't agree with you more about HC. I used to read it pretty regularly, but since Version 2.0 came along, almost never.

I think a case can be made that something can work as great as it should even if the technology has long passed by. Look at Ebay and Craigslist: they have hardly changed in over a decade. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2010, 8:57 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Just spouting off here. Anyone else checked out HC lately? What a colossal cluster-f*ck this site has become. They've revamped the overall look and how you search their databases. Overcomplicated, confusing, and significantly less user-friendly now. Such a shame. I find the site practically useless now.

Yes, the revamp sucks in so many ways large and small (for example, why did they drop the "Submitted" date for new reviews?) but at least you can still get to the "legacy" reviews. And it is a "beta" version, and people are definitely kicking and screaming, so maybe they'll make some much needed revisions before settling on this permanently (check out the "New Site Feedback" forum):

http://www.harmonycentral.com/community/getting-started/new_site_feedback?view=discussions

PostPosted: May 7th, 2010, 2:03 pm 

Honestly, I've always hated HC. To me it always seemed like a bloated corporate clusterf***. The only time I ever used it was if I googled something and a HC page just happened to be near the top of the results page. Any time I tried to navigate the old version of the site I would just get bogged down and frustrated at it's terrible interface and give up.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2011, 12:28 am 
Site Admin

Can you not search the Harmony Central classifieds now? :?

PostPosted: January 13th, 2011, 6:56 am 

Could we please adhere to the format when reviewing HC:

•Features:
•Quality:
•Reliability/Durability:
•Ease of Use:
•Customer Support:
•Overall Rating
•Features:

PostPosted: January 13th, 2011, 7:30 am 

Yeah i hate HC now :x

PostPosted: January 13th, 2011, 7:31 am 

They got rid of the old version of the reviews section so now it's impossible to go back to it and use it the old way if you want to. They gave a big middle finger to everyone with these changes. I don't know what kind of stuff they were smoking that made them think this was a good idea. It had to be PCP.

www.a-prior-i.com
www.myspace.com/impenetrableeye