LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:10 am

Post subject: Hey everyone, how are we doing?
PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, although we started work on the board about a week before hand, we officially put the word out about the board on March 12th, making today our one month mark.

So with a month under our belts, I'm wondering what everyone's opinion of the board is? Please take a minute to chime in here. Don't be shy to be critical too, I want to get your honest opinions of the place. Anything we're missing? Anything unnecessary?Suggestions? Complaints? Let me know!

There are certain realities that come with a lefty bass specific board, like that there are very few of us out there and that will be reflected in the pace of the board, but I have to say given how few of us there are here compared to the bigger boards we've been keeping a respectable pace with activity on here. I'm pleased with that so far, I expected it to be much more quiet for the most part. So thank you everyone for the time you've put in here!

Post subject: Re: Hey everyone, how are we doing?
PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 11:59 am 

I'm suprised to have hit the 40+ member mark so quickly - goes to show there is a need for this kind of bass community

suggestion: I'd like to have an easy way to reference all the posts by a specific user, similar to a feature found on other boards. I find this really helpful when offering tech advise - I'll admit I do a little research on the user to see what their gear is and how comfortable it appears they are with certain maint kind of procedures ... once I know their threshold for comfort I can offer advice tailored to what they're able to handle

suggestion: I'd also like to see a working calendar of some sort. I do a lot of business travel and try to catch local bands if time permits. if I know a list member is playing while I'm in town, I make the effort to catch a set if at all possible

all the best,

R

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 12:16 pm 

I'm enjoying the site so far.

I really like the idea of the "Southpaw Spotted" forum. It can be pretty hard to find good lefty basses, so I hope that everyone keeps posting there. That forum alone is enough to keep me coming back here regularly, so I don't miss anything!

I've also enjoyed reading people's reviews of lefty basses, like the new American Jazz.

My only suggestion: we need a lefty bassist smiley! :)

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 1:02 pm 

I agree with the above poster on the "spotted" section, it's a fantastic idea. Also, Rod is doing an amazing job on the "bondo" section. This site is great, keep it up.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Rodent wrote:
suggestion: I'd like to have an easy way to reference all the posts by a specific user, similar to a feature found on other boards.

Hey Rod, if it's what I think you're referring to, then we have that feature. Click on a user's profile (either through the Profile button on each person's posts or just click anyone's name) and once it comes up you'll see their posting stats listed on the right of their name and then in small letters under where it states the number of posts anyone has made (Total Posts) it says "Search Users Posts" which will bring up all the posts a user has made. ie. here's from your profile, as it's listed today:

Total posts: 158
[20.28% of all posts / 4.79 posts per day]
Search user’s posts <<<<< *** this is where you want to click***
Most active forum: Blueprinting and Bondo
[ 98 Posts / 62.03% of user’s posts ]
Most active topic: LeftyBassist 4-string bass build
[ 25 Posts / 15.82% of user’s posts ]

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Rodent wrote:
I'm suprised to have hit the 40+ member mark so quickly - goes to show there is a need for this kind of bass community

suggestion: I'd also like to see a working calendar of some sort. I do a lot of business travel and try to catch local bands if time permits. if I know a list member is playing while I'm in town, I make the effort to catch a set if at all possible

all the best,

R

I had an artificial hope/goal of 50 members in my head for month one, thinking that'd be pretty cool but highly unlikely. However to my surprise we ended up only a few people short of that mark with a few people that've already emailed me to say they'll be signing up when they get a chance. :)

I agree, a gig calendar is a good idea. I want this place to have a good sense of community, and a gig calendar would help foster that. Thanks Rod, we'll introduce that feature.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2008, 9:33 pm 

the site rocks. and I think Rod should build a bass for each of the first 50 members of the board, all to their specs/liking...at an extremely reduced price :mrgreen: j/k rod, but serious, you rock man, i love BnB section.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2008, 7:17 am 

I think the site's doing extremely well. Community's growing at a good pace and there's lots of great informative posts and communication already. Let's keep it up, brethren!

I would personally like a section of community soundbites, videos, and/or gig pix. Links to MP3s, MySpace, or YouTube would work I suppose, to not take up too much memory here.
I thought about posting pix and soundbites for any basses I will be reviewing in the Reviews section (I know I'm negligent in doing that, but this new kid is taking up a LOT of my time right now, LOL), but I'd really like to hear what everyone else is doing musically.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2008, 7:37 pm 

So, I now find myself compulsively checking this board every few hours and I get excited everytime there's a new post... even if it's something completely irrelevant to me. I realized this when I felt a little sliver of joy when one person (andrew I think?) gave another who was asking for help (matt r. maybe) a guys email that makes tbird bridges. I've always felt very oddly connected to people when I find out they're left-handed, and the fact that (most) everyone here plays a BASS pointing off to their right just makes it that much better.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2008, 6:39 pm 

baalroo wrote:
So, I now find myself compulsively checking this board every few hours and I get excited everytime there's a new post... even if it's something completely irrelevant to me. I realized this when I felt a little sliver of joy when one person (andrew I think?) gave another who was asking for help (matt r. maybe) a guys email that makes tbird bridges. I've always felt very oddly connected to people when I find out they're left-handed, and the fact that (most) everyone here plays a BASS pointing off to their right just makes it that much better.

I second that entire motion. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 5:18 pm 

I like the site a lot. Not only does it cater to what is obviously the coolest niche in the world of bass playing, but it's a welcome break from the intellectual wasteland that is talkbass.com (if I read another debate about finish relicing I'm gonna throw myself off a high dive in an empty pool :x :x ).

But anyhow, it's a cool community and I really enjoy the civility 8-)

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 9:51 pm 

I'm liking this place quite a lot!

Lets just keep on akeepin' on! 8-)

Cheers!

PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 5:12 am 

Matt R. wrote:
a welcome break from the intellectual wasteland that is talkbass.com

Come on, give TB a break. If you get an olympic white Jazz bass and need to know what color pickguard to put on it, TB always comes through for you! Or maybe you're confused about the differenced between a Precision and a Jazz bass. Or why people don't like Warwicks. Or maybe you need to know if there's a moral difference between pedophilia and putting a 'Fender' decal on a modified Squier.....face it, TB's indispensable!

PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 7:29 am 

danomite64 wrote:
maybe you need to know if there's a moral difference between pedophilia and putting a 'Fender' decal on a modified Squier.....face it, TB's indispensable!

Ha ha, funny cause it's true :lol: That fucking site is a car accident. I hate myself for actually looking at it... (and especially posting :oops: )

PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 1:46 pm 

The only thing that really annoys me are the multitudinous "Lefties, why didn't you learn to play righty?" threads......

PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 1:59 pm 

danomite64 wrote:
The only thing that really annoys me are the multitudinous "Lefties, why didn't you learn to play righty?" threads......

Yes... That makes me want to smash things... :twisted:

PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 6:24 pm 

I have a fairly high postcount on TB.

I am a longtime member of The Low Down Lowdown.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 7:18 pm 

At least TB doesn't kick you off their forum if you don't contribute funding every 6 months. ;)

PostPosted: May 31st, 2008, 7:35 pm 

I'm not meaning to pick on TB; it originated to help and inform bass players, and I'm glad it's there for those reasons. I just think certain subjects have been discussed long enough, though. I mean, do people honestly not know the difference between a Jazz and a Precision? Other subjects cannot be answered, becuase they're subjective in nature, like who is the best bassist ever. Others just don't need to be constantly rehashed; why do I play lefty? Do I realize that a Squier will never be a real Fender? I play lefty because I want to, and if the people who want to believe their Squier is as good as a MIA Fender, what's the harm in letting them? Clearly Fender has no issue with it; they just want your business and realize one day you might drop four figures on the real deal. Certainly the '55 Precisions in the world don't feel threatened by their '07 Squier nephews, so why should I care? I've owned several CBS Fenders, a few MIJ's, and a Squier; I know which ones I preferred (the MIJ's), but I'm only one guy.

Nice thing about this site is we'll probably never ask ourselves why we didn't learn to play righty!

PostPosted: June 1st, 2008, 6:44 am 

danomite64 wrote:
Nice thing about this site is we'll probably never ask ourselves why we didn't learn to play righty!

Aint that the truth! 8-)